Notices

AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW my wife's Q5 just had it's fifth recall and it's 3 years old. I know it's not an R8 but still.......
Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
FWIW my wife's Q5 just had it's fifth recall and it's 3 years old. I know it's not an R8 but still.......
Every manufacturer has issues despite rigorous testing and procedures in place for detection. Any Porsches blowing motors?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:37 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice RWS!!!!

I'm happy with my GT4 choice but I do dig those R8s.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

#1 of 999 for sale in Vancouver! I didn't know only 26 came to Canada...rare.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/audi/r8/...%200P3&sprx=-1
Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I like the virtual dash - wonder if 5 years from now itll still be as cool to my eyes
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Most cars depreciate eventually - they are not stocks or even land - but this should depreciate slower than most other cars in the class.
Are we buying sports car because of how nice it drives or how well it holds value? Unless you're talking about aircooled of course.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:05 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Are we buying sports car because of how nice it drives or how well it holds value? Unless you're talking about aircooled of course.
Exactly! How many drive their "sports cars" on a racetrack?

If your only criteria for purchasing a Porsche vs another brand is "feel", and you are not a track driver, then what is the point.
Driving in Toronto is for the most part gridlock ****show.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:29 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

It is next to impossible to know what will happen to a cars value in the future but wouldn’t you rather buy a car that you felt was more likely to hold its value than one that was worthless later?

We are fortunate to have multiple choices for awesome cars these days - I agree with the poster that expected depreciation is something to consider if you’re choosing which awesome car to buy. Ferrari versus McLaren for example. If My world changed and I was looking at a car in that range, my heart would be saying McLaren but my brain would be saying Ferrari because of depreciation.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

In 30 years from now I’m not going to be fussing about a car I had 30 years earlier and its rate of depreciation! Carpe diem.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Carpe diem until you are retired and have an elderly parent to look after. Or have 2 kids going through medical school and Harvard MBA. Then possibly you might have picked the awesome sports car that didn't depreciate vs 40% depreciation. We aren't comparing Ferrari vs M4. But if a McLaren value drops like a stone why not get a Ferrari? To each there own but I always consider depreciation as a part of the equation. If you go into a Ferrari dealer to order a new 488 GTB they will laugh at you unless you are a major long term customer. Go into Pfaff to order a 720S (a truly great car) and they will ask you how many you would like. I suspect depreciation has something to do with that. McLaren's are great cars but terrible investments. And yes,I know we don't buy cars in lieu of investments but it is a consideration for some of us.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:02 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Carpe diem until you are retired and have an elderly parent to look after. Or have 2 kids going through medical school and Harvard MBA. Then possibly you might have picked the awesome sports car that didn't depreciate vs 40% depreciation. We aren't comparing Ferrari vs M4. But if a McLaren value drops like a stone why not get a Ferrari? To each there own but I always consider depreciation as a part of the equation. If you go into a Ferrari dealer to order a new 488 GTB they will laugh at you unless you are a major long term customer. Go into Pfaff to order a 720S (a truly great car) and they will ask you how many you would like. I suspect depreciation has something to do with that. McLaren's are great cars but terrible investments. And yes,I know we don't buy cars in lieu of investments but it is a consideration for some of us.
Which is why I would not buy a McLaren. I'll gladly take their favourable lease rates (better than Porsche) and high residuals (similar to GT3), drive the car and not worry about the depreciation. In 3 years they can have it back and if they are able to sell it at what the buy-out amount is, good for them, but I'm skeptical.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM
r8v10plus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing really special about this R8 imo. Slapping on a limited edition badge doesn't mean it will go up in value, instead I see the RWS dropping in value. The new R8 in general has been a failure and trust me I learned the hard way when I had to sell my V10 plus. I'd rather buy a gen 1 R8 preferably a 6 speed which will probably go up in value way before the gen 2 goes up.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Louis.E
Advanced

You know, for a guy with no pictures or posts of a v10 plus, or even pictures of your...cough...2 huracans in anywhere except for one in a business garage, and a 911 on a car lot. yet 2 posts slaming the R8 s depreciation.....I call utter and complete BS. Basically lost credibility to me at least that you even own a sportscar....maybe you install film on nice cars for a living.

dude....the rws is 163k msrp canadian. You really think its going to sell in two yeas fir 120k? I know the used ones currently are 187 to 192k and the rest are sold out. So what made you so butt hurt over the pretend v10 plus? Or was it the lambo that depreciated like a rock? Different car. Paying the lambo tax new is just the price you pay to get less car for more dollars on a rwd lambo 580.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

LOL

"Id say Porsche is great, but its no Audi on the top end tiers."

yeah coz lots of kids grow up longing to buy an Audi ... too funny

you think an R8 can even hold a candle to a GT3RS GT2RS , or other " top tier" machines like the 918, Carrera GT ?
you are looking at the world through rose coloured glasses my friend.

I was at CTMP and even in Race Trim the R8 was miles behind the Ford Mustang and a Mercedes. They were merely an " also ran" . But it is in the same Class as the Cayman and it beat that , so I guess you can hang your hat on that.

... and you will find more people have dumped R8s to go to GT3s and other Porsches than the other way around. There are quite a few on this board, and that's only a small market in Canada.

Sold out you say ? go try and buy a new GT3 !!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

I see what youre saying. Im only tracking twice a year, the rest is the daily commute, and driver. There is no way id daily commute in a gt3. It would have to be a weekend trackcar for maybe ten events a season to make me want one alongside a different daily driver.

You might also find gen 1s moving to porsche, but porsche moving to gen 2. Its basically twice the car $ going from gen 1 to gen 2. And a huge step in performance stock.

i dont think for a second anyone sells a 911 to buy a gen 1. Thats a rarity.

as for kids.....do you have any? They dont grow up wanting to buy a porsche. Not anymore.

Adults buy based on the car more than the badge. Kids...they donr even car about getting the drivers license anymore. I see twenty year olds without a g license these days. Times changed huge with this generation.

Quick Reply: AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?