Notices

AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts
Default AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?

Hello RL friends,

After a number of tumultuous years dealing with Porsche I finally gave up on a 991.2 GT3 and decided to place an order for a R8 RWS, the car is set to arrive in Calgary over the next 2-3 weeks at which point I'll have to either purchase or pass.

For those that don't know, the R8 RWS is a special edition R8:
- 1 of 999
- Rear wheel drive
- Fixed dampers
- 540HP (Vs. the 610HP V10+, the extra 70HP being entirely gained by the tune, the two engines are physically identical)
- Configured by Audi, the only option is black or white
- Priced at 163K

I fell in love with the Huracan on track last fall, since then I've been a bit more open to the idea of a flappy paddle car with screaming V10.

Having said all that, here is my predicament, I really don't want to buy a car that I might own for two years and then be subject to a 40K+ bath. Having owned Porsches for so long now, the idea of buying a car that depreciates like a bastard is a bit foreign to me, it's not something I care to explore. I don't view cars as appreciating assets, I would say that what we have seen over the last 2-3 years will eventually subside once the next macro economic melt down occurs.

The first gen R8's held their value quite well, but they had a relatively low MSRP in comparison to the second generation car available now, and the rumour is that Audi plans to release a more affordable V6TT R8 in 2019.

If one was to order a new quattro equipped R8 the base price is 185K CAD and I'm told dealers are willing to negotiate on inventory cars, anywhere between 5-7% off MSRP.

Any thoughts? Does the R8 RWS present a bit of a bargain @ 163K and will it hold up well at that price considering that first gen R8 V10's are still priced between 125-140K?

Consider that I'm also cross shopping this against a 991.1 GT3, seeing as those cars are getting more and more affordable. There certainly isn't any shortage of 991.1 GT3/GT3 RS and GT4 for sale in the country right now, I would say the market is saturated and things will only get worse as more and more 991.2 GT3's are delivered.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I was told that the RWS was sold out and unless you found a special circumstance, no longer attainable?

if that’s true I doubt that you’ll be getting anything off list and it’s more likely that the value will hold, or may appreciate a bit. If you look around at what’s available at that price you’ll see that it’s slim pickings.

If that’s not sold out than I understand you concern as that car should be sold out! Dealer in Vancouver told me “long sold out”.but I did find a way to get one if I wanted. I ended up buying something else but the RWS looked like a deal to me.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It will probably hold its value a bit better than the other R8 models. It looks like an amazing car and I would love to have one.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:31 PM
peanuboy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I started looking about a month ago and I searched all over southern Ontario, primarily the GTA area and none had it, was able to get on a couple of "wait list" but majority of the dealers just flat out told me sold out.... so I ended up going to Ottawa for one, a 400km drive, I'm betting on it to hold value so in a few years when I want to get into something else, I have equity in the car

when I was searching locally and as far as Audi St. Catherine's and Audi London, they told me people left deposit for the RWS as early as last fall and they were sold out last Nov although people didn't take delivery until just recently (emission issues so they sat at Halifax dock for months). I took delivery of mine this past Saturday
Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I was told that the RWS was sold out and unless you found a special circumstance, no longer attainable?

if that’s true I doubt that you’ll be getting anything off list and it’s more likely that the value will hold, or may appreciate a bit. If you look around at what’s available at that price you’ll see that it’s slim pickings.

If that’s not sold out than I understand you concern as that car should be sold out! Dealer in Vancouver told me “long sold out”.but I did find a way to get one if I wanted. I ended up buying something else but the RWS looked like a deal to me.
Yes you bought that beauty of a GT4 - really good buy!

It wasn't overly hard for me to obtain the RWS, I think very few people were aware of the car, consider that at the time I obtained my allocation the pricing for the car was not yet officially released.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

It's probably one of the best cars in terms of value for the money, especially given that you get that very special engine for a relatively modest price (compare to huracan). Most cars depreciate eventually - they are not stocks or even land - but this should depreciate slower than most other cars in the class.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

You'll probably be OK but I think $40K is about the hit you'll take if you trade it through a dealer. There hasn't been an R8 yet that's actually appreciated and the R8 RWS while appealing hasn't really moved the needle that far. They could have based it on the +, they could have put awesome carbon buckets in and accents on it, they could have offered some great colours...
Old 05-01-2018, 11:48 AM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
You'll probably be OK but I think $40K is about the hit you'll take if you trade it through a dealer. There hasn't been an R8 yet that's actually appreciated and the R8 RWS while appealing hasn't really moved the needle that far. They could have based it on the +, they could have put awesome carbon buckets in and accents on it, they could have offered some great colours...
I agree...they could have made it a little more 'special'

I'm able to pick one up as well and am on the fence...I have space issues so it would need to replace my 991.2 GTS...not sure if it's worth it...
Old 05-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Porsche and an Audi. Porsche >Audi.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I have a Porsche and an Audi. Porsche >Audi.
lol I agree but which ones do you have?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Audi is a newish Q5. It's not a sports car but it has a "feel" to it. And it's not a Porsche feel. I looked into an R8. Priced out and ready. I couldn't pull the trigger. I would hate sellers remorse. Of course that was NA for NA trade. No turbo in the equation. Ultimate speed was not a priority. Feel was.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Kuba
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This month's CAR magazine has a nice comparison of R8 RWS v 570S. The R8 wins and sounds like an excellent choice.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Hmm. Id say Porsche is great, but its no Audi on the top end tiers.

Im talking from a 2015 panamerra 4S, and a 2015 macan turbo. Both were not equal to my 2013 S8 in any depatment, except cornering. Fit and finish, technology, sterio, paint, trim, ect all better on the S8.

now ive not owned a 911, but My opinion is the R8 is every bit as good as a 911 in build quality. The R8 is hand built, as likely the 911 is too?

Comparing the old q5, is not relative...the redesigned q5 is better built than the macan turbo we own. Ive had 5 recalls, and the paint is not nearly as good.

I believe the 911 is a step up from a macan in quality no doubt, but ive had quality cars, and the R8 is the real deal.

youll find half of the RWS owners are coming from a porsche, or own both. Seriously.

used ones in Canada are currently selling for 35k over msrp. New ones are gone.

Last edited by Louis.E; 07-19-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Price concerns
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
The Audi is a newish Q5. It's not a sports car but it has a "feel" to it. And it's not a Porsche feel. I looked into an R8. Priced out and ready. I couldn't pull the trigger. I would hate sellers remorse. Of course that was NA for NA trade. No turbo in the equation. Ultimate speed was not a priority. Feel was.
If feel is your only criteria in your determination that Porsche > Audi, I would agree. But since the introduction of Electric steering I would disagree. I recently test drove the 991.1 GT3 RS and IMHO steering feel was not great, certainly not 997 GT3 RS, not even close.
Latest iteration may be better. The current R8 is more luxury car than sportscar, but rumour has it they will be releasing a version similar to the Huracan Performante specs. That would be a very interesting vehicle as I've driven the Performante, its amazing!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Thats fair indeed. The pendulum swug further towards luxury, and the porsche swings further towards track abilities. The rws swings a bit more towards track than the v10 plus. Rws is firmer and lighter, less flash options, less carbon, rear wheel drive, and definitely less luxurious.

Quick Reply: AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?