Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts
Default A Holiday Message

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...on-highway-401

In the left lane
Going 40
High beams on
No insurance

Drive safe this holiday season. You can't rely on anyone else to.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

The article says she couldn't produce the insurance card (I think they meant slip). Interestingly: The recent upgrades to the computer systems in police vehicles allow real time connections to the Insurance Bureau of Canada servers as soon as the plate and drivers info is entered. The software flags NO INSURANCE right away - hence you would receive a summons for that to appear in court on the spot. NOT the same (charge) as can't produce a slip. It would be interesting to see if this new technology invalidates the legal requirement to carry and produce the pink insurance slip. The law *is* on the books (HTA) but I wonder if an electronic version, (cop's in-car PC) PROVING you have insurance coverage negates the original *intent* of the law as displaying proof of insurance at a road side stop to a cop whom *already* knows you have insurance as soon as he runs the plate. Could be an interesting test case to try to beat a ticket for not having these stupid little 20th century slips... Ontario is full of redundant outmoded laws.

As for the dumb *** going 40 in a 100, in the fast lane at night and refusing to pull over and had to be corralled: test for drugs... (Can't be dementia at age 47)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My grandfather got a ticket for going too slow on the Allen about 30 years ago. He had no business driving that ticket ended up being the end of his driving career.

I wish they would do this for anyone going less than 115 in the right lane. Then all will be right with the world.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

So why didn't they charge her with Stunt Driving?? Would seem to be a pretty dangerous thing to be doing that would warrant the charge. And in case you are wondering the wording of the law is,

"Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,"

40 in the left hand lane = endangering other road users IMHO
Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The article doesn't specify what car she was driving, but it's probably safe to assume that it was a Camry, Corolla or Caravan. The 3Cs that make up the vast majority of clueless drivers.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
The article says she couldn't produce the insurance card (I think they meant slip). Interestingly: The recent upgrades to the computer systems in police vehicles allow real time connections to the Insurance Bureau of Canada servers as soon as the plate and drivers info is entered. The software flags NO INSURANCE right away - hence you would receive a summons for that to appear in court on the spot. NOT the same (charge) as can't produce a slip. It would be interesting to see if this new technology invalidates the legal requirement to carry and produce the pink insurance slip. The law *is* on the books (HTA) but I wonder if an electronic version, (cop's in-car PC) PROVING you have insurance coverage negates the original *intent* of the law as displaying proof of insurance at a road side stop to a cop whom *already* knows you have insurance as soon as he runs the plate. Could be an interesting test case to try to beat a ticket for not having these stupid little 20th century slips... Ontario is full of redundant outmoded laws.

As for the dumb *** going 40 in a 100, in the fast lane at night and refusing to pull over and had to be corralled: test for drugs... (Can't be dementia at age 47)
The definition of proof needs to change in the HTA. When they ask for proof of insurance and you tell them "Check you computer", is that a proof? I would say it is.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The definition of proof needs to change in the HTA. When they ask for proof of insurance and you tell them "Check you computer", is that a proof? I would say it is.
With the ego so many cops have does logic ever play into things?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
There was an interesting thread (on another forum) where someone asked the question if he scanned his insurance slip & ownerships for all his cars and put it on a USB key attached to his car keys would handing over the USB key suffice as providing proof of insurance?
It's interesting as coming from the UK the norm there is you do not carry ownership or insurance in the car - the theory is that this makes it easier if someone steals your car to pass it off as their own.

Somewhat of a rhetorical question anyway - As the law tends to be a decade out of date with technology we'll all be getting shuttled around in self driving pods before the law gets updated.....
:-(
Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
There was an interesting thread (on another forum) where someone asked the question if he scanned his insurance slip & ownerships for all his cars and put it on a USB key attached to his car keys would handing over the USB key suffice as providing proof of insurance?
It's interesting as coming from the UK the norm there is you do not carry ownership or insurance in the car - the theory is that this makes it easier if someone steals your car to pass it off as their own.

Somewhat of a rhetorical question anyway - As the law tends to be a decade out of date with technology we'll all be getting shuttled around in self driving pods before the law gets updated.....
:-(
I never leave my house with my wallet. A few years ago I did. There was a rash of stolen cars from my hood, so extra attention from police. As I tore out of my hood like a thief, I was pulled over as suspect. I gave him my ownership, no proof of license. I gave him my name and address, and nerd that I am, remembered my drivers license number. He went back to his cruiser, typed in all the info. he came back and told me to slow down, no ticket. They have all the info on their computer.
Another time. The boys were going north to go snowmobiling. One of the lads forgot his wallet. I asked his wife to scan his drivers licence and send it via email. Guess what? We go pulled over 30 minutes into our day. My friend flashed the scan from his phone. It worked.
I now have scans of all my info on my phone. I'm not suggesting that this is legal, but often an attempt at trying to be compliant, eases the pressure from the officer.

Quick Reply: A Holiday Message