Notices

Anyone hired a pro coach?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone hired a pro coach?

I hired Jade Bueford last spring at Watkins Glen. I really wanted to focus on my line, braking and turn in as I’ve never really had any instruction on this track.

It was beneficial however his instruction sounded a lot what I would say when sitting in the right seat. IE; eyes, where ar you looking, hard initial breaking, and one turn in early on this one comment.

$200USD for 30 minutes and I felt it was good value.

I’m wondering if anyone has hired a coach and what they’re experience was.

Keith
Old 12-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A coach in the right seat is a good start but once you have the line, vision, smoothness and a good rythme you will have to work with data.
Usually a Pro coach will not seat on your right anyway.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:15 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow a fast guy and do like him.

Get a racer in the passenger seat, they tend to be faster and will give you tips.

Pro racers watch data cause they re top of their game and looking for tenths of seconds.

Major problem is most of the time behind the wheel and car setup. Not a matter of data.

Im not saying data are overkill but you dont need data to be fast when you re amateur...
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input guys but I was wondering if anyone else has hired a genuine pro driver for in car instruction. Racers are...after all racers not trained instructors. Helping people learn is more complex than simply teaching.

Francois, I’m aware you’ve been through the PCA system but that’s not licensed at this time. No one in their right mind would hop in a car with someone looking to go a few tenths faster. That’s what data and engineers are for.

To be honest my session with Jade was at about 70% speed because I told him that from the outset. That’s a rule with CASC while instructing. It’s more about execution than looking for tenths. Have to say that it’s really hard to listen to instruction while being on track with other cars at speed. I forgot about that and will keep that in mind in the future.

So, to clarify;
Has anyone had a pro ride along and added value to their on track performance? I know I’ve been in the right seat and benefited from the experience.

Just wondering if it worked the other way around.

thx
Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve used several different pro coaches and highly recommended it.
The big insight for me was when I realized how a good coach figured out what I needed and used that to make me a better driver.
For example, I have a hard time delaying my initial brake application. One coach used a technique of delaying my turn in point, allowing me to see further through a corner, giving me additional confidence to delay. A few laps of that then start moving back to the original turn in and - problem solved.
That to me illustrates what capable pro coaches can do - use the right techniques for that particular driver.
Now, I could be a lot better driver than I am, but a pro coach gets me further along than I have found from following faster drivers/self teaching/fellow instructor/racer ride alongs.
A pro coach is to an advanced driver as an instructor is to a green or yellow/blue novice.
(I would love to find a pro coach to work with me at Tremblant sometime)
Hope this helps
Oh, and lots of coaches aren’t anything more than racers that are trying to fund their Racing. The best are wonderful teachers.
And, buy a whole day at least. 30 minutes barely scratches the surface.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

That’s what I was hoping for, thanks. I found it worthwhile as well. Jade was of great great value.
Oh and your coach just helped another student.

thanks Rick and that coach!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll attend a 3 or 4 day school at least once every couple of years to get different perspective and tips. I've never walked away from those schools thinking I wasted my money, in fact its quite the opposite. i always learn something new as getting a different perspective always teaches me something I didn't know before.

Best thing you can do is check the ego at the door, and allow yourself to learn.

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love"
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
That’s what I was hoping for, thanks. I found it worthwhile as well. Jade was of great great value.
Oh and your coach just helped another student.

thanks Rick and that coach!
To give credit where it is certainly due, the coach is Scott Leder from NJ, a very capable Cayman racer, genuinely nice guy, and a good match for my personality.
If I had any brains at all I’d get a lot more coaching.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Haha Rick! I should as well. I spend too much time in the right seat with CASC not to see the value in that. Connecting with a top tier coach makes communication fun and easy. Attending a school is a great suggestion as well, thanks. Perhaps in a different type of car in order to keep it fresh.

Keith
Old 12-08-2017, 09:39 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

The benefits of a coach is not unlike that of a lawyer sitting next to you in court.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Not sure I see the value in a 1 hour lesson. (Not that it would hurt)

In that time the instructor could help you dial in the corners for a particular track I guess.

To really advance your skills I think you need to be taught technique that you can apply to similar corners. This would take many hours and be taught on and off the track.

Or maybe I'm cheap and think the cost is a bit much because I've had semi pro drivers come out with me and they didn't charge me a penny.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Not sure I see the value in a 1 hour lesson. (Not that it would hurt)

In that time the instructor could help you dial in the corners for a particular track I guess.

To really advance your skills I think you need to be taught technique that you can apply to similar corners. This would take many hours and be taught on and off
the track.

Or maybe I'm cheap and think the cost is a bit much because I've had semi pro drivers come out with me and they didn't charge me a penny.
True, but you get what you pay for....

I’ve been fortunate to be in the right seat with quite a few current top Canadian Pro drivers and it is other world stuff- they’re accelerating in braking zones( if trail breaking at all). Lot’s to learn there but that level of commitment and ability to deal with being over the level of grip is what makes people pay them money to drive.

Having a current Pro factory driver riding shotgun and provide real time input is rare. They’re under contract a simply can’t do it. Sure it was brief and pricey but it was good feed back on a track I have 4 days driving on.

I think I’ll do more of it, especially on new tracks.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Try Travis Hill if you get to Calabogie. Runs his own shop (Twoth Auto) and also works as a Porsche driving school instructor. Hard to get him but when he's available he provides great instruction. Spend the day with him and you'll learn a lot.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Try Travis Hill if you get to Calabogie. Runs his own shop (Twoth Auto) and also works as a Porsche driving school instructor. Hard to get him but when he's available he provides great instruction. Spend the day with him and you'll learn a lot.
Will do and thanks. I've instructed at Calabogie however I've never felt like I know that track well. When I get back I'll certainly keep him in mind.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hiring a pro coach is the best $/time shaved on your lap times mod

Quick Reply: Anyone hired a pro coach?