Notices

5-point boosters in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts
Default 5-point boosters in Canada?

I'm trying to find a booster seat with a 5-point harness to install in the back on my 991 (911 Coupe). Weirdly, in the US it's not a problem - there is a whole bunch of seats spanning 10kg - 50kg range, but most of them do not sell in Canada, and all I can find are either a) baby seats (till 4yo), b) boosters for car seatbelt only (from 4ys) or c) 3-in-1s (like Radian Diono). My problem with those is that I have two kiddos (3 and 5) and I want to sue the same seat, so a) and b) are out of the question, and none of 3-in-1s I could find fit well - they are monstrously big due to baby-specific protections and recline mechanisms, and just don't fit well.

There is a number of seats that are good from 10-12kg and up and fit in the back of a 991 recommended in other threads on rennlist, but I could not find any of them sold in Canada.

So does anyone know of a 5-point seat that also works as a booster, fits in 991 and is sold in Canada? If not, what's the best place in the Vancouver Metro Area to be able to try multiple car seats for fit before buying? I found an old one in my garage that fits all the criteria but it's expiring in a few months and is no longer sold with no similar replacement model (it's also too fiddly).

Pic of the car, just for fun:

Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Britax makes an excellent car seat. I believe the Harness-2-Boosters are what your looking for, although I have no idea about fitment.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Britax makes an excellent car seat. I believe the Harness-2-Boosters are what your looking for, although I have no idea about fitment.
Yes, harness-to-booster is the right term, thank you!

Unfortunately, the new Britax H2B seats are way too wide due to non-removable cupholders on both sides (why, oh why?) and their desire to accommodate children bigger than my wife (she's not a child, just for the record, but fits in britax boosters with room to spare). Older models are smaller but I'm hesitant to buy used, and they are very close to expiration anyway.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Yes, harness-to-booster is the right term, thank you!

Unfortunately, the new Britax H2B seats are way too wide due to non-removable cupholders on both sides (why, oh why?) and their desire to accommodate children bigger than my wife (she's not a child, just for the record, but fits in britax boosters with room to spare). Older models are smaller but I'm hesitant to buy used, and they are very close to expiration anyway.
Nice car.

I don't think the 911 is a good family car for kids that size if you want to use a full size booster.

-----

My kids are now 12 and 14, so I could swap vehicles with you.... I currently have a 2006 Jetta TDI (stick and chipped) that would fit 2 full size boosters very well. I can trade you straight up for a couple years., just so that your kids are protected.... I am pretty sure it's got room in the back for 2 full size boosters.

I drive that car about 35,000km per year..... what's the gas mileage on your 911?

just joking.

(When I first got my boxster, I also got the airbag deactivation bar with it.... put a forward facing car seat in it for the 1st couple years for daycare pickups and then a small butt booster in it.)

good luck with your search for a full back booster with harness.

------
our 1st car seat for our 14 yr old was an American one... It was the previous year's model that we found online, and got shipped to my now brother in law who was studying at Michigan state.... Just didn't have the canadian sticker on it....
Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Walmart usually has many options. go there with measuring tape and car and see what they got. from my experience you may only find a 5 point seat or a booster that fits not both.
btw I have a booster that fits a 911 if anyone is interested.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:53 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

991 has pretty good sized seats in the back, because it's only 2 seats and not 3 like in a hatchback, and the wheelbase on 991 is longer than that of previous generations. My 5yo has plenty of space with a booster, enough to cross legs or hold a book or ipad at a comfortable distance in front. The problem is the shape of the seat, where it gets narrower at the bottom for more support, making it impossible to firmly fit seats with a squared bottom or back side. I'm hesitant about getting a seat from the States without a Canadian sticker. Even though the only reason they are not certified in Canada is that manufacturers just did not want to spend the money on certification on a relatively small market, so these seats should be safe, still, I don't want it to be a factor if something happens. I'll try Wallmart.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:20 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First off, of the two toys r uses around here, only one will let me take out seats to try in our car. the other one said they would not. I would try there.

Have you tried removing the seat bottom? On my 997.1TT I removed the seat bottom (it was velcro'd in, came right off) and strapped this one in:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=55114336

I ran the seat belt through and this thing doesn't move at all. rock solid. It may not be perfectly flush with the bottom, but it doesn't matter. This thing does not move a mm.

Fits my 45 lb 4 foot 5 year old perfectly. Can also put my 5'9" wife in the front.

waiting until next year to put our two year old in a similar seat behind me (he will be 3, and time for forward facing)

Let me know if you need more pictures. In hindsight, we may have changed the angle of the belt buckle, but it would work with it the other way too.

I pulled my hair out reading old threads, listening to ideas on this, and nothing worked. but the clicktight is the best car seat i've ever used. i will only buy it going forward.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Another vote for Walmart.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Go to Wal Mart and check out the Cosco/Safety 1st Scenera line. These seats have a smaller base that fit better in tight back seats. I have a similar Evenflo model but its not made anymore. The Safety 1st Scenera LX looks to be the smallest

Here's a link.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/safety-.../6000167660797
Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Go to Wal Mart and check out the Cosco/Safety 1st Scenera line. These seats have a smaller base that fit better in tight back seats. I have a similar Evenflo model but its not made anymore. The Safety 1st Scenera LX looks to be the smallest

Here's a link.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/safety-.../6000167660797
For my youngest, I have the Scenera Next in my 997.2, but it only goes up to 40lbs. It also has a height limit of 43". (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cosco-s.../6000192327079). He'll have outgrown it by the time the car comes out of its winter hibernation.

I use this high back booster for my 6 year old. It fits like a glove with the rear seat pad out (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony.../6000196339168)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Perley
For my youngest, I have the Scenera Next in my 997.2, but it only goes up to 40lbs. It also has a height limit of 43". (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cosco-s.../6000192327079). He'll have outgrown it by the time the car comes out of its winter hibernation.

I use this high back booster for my 6 year old. It fits like a glove with the rear seat pad out (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony.../6000196339168)
That's exactly my problem - the younger one needs 5-point now (3yo) but will outgrow most of them in a year or so, and the older one is already over Scenera limits. For now I use backless booster for the older one and some old evenflow harness-to-booster seat for younger one. But the evenflow expires soon, so I need a replacement. And younger one wants to use older one's seat. So I hoped to just get two of the same.

Cosco Finale (
Amazon Amazon
) fits and satisfies all the criteria but not sold in Canada . I can bring it back with me from States easily, but it's illegal.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Gets great reviews. Costs less than one rear tire.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
https://www.amazon.ca/Maxi-Cosi-Rodi.../dp/B01K3KUR3Q

Gets great reviews. Costs less than one rear tire.
I checked this one. No 5-point harness, so not suitable for kids under 4 or under 40lbs, and no Canadian sticker (ships from US), so not legal for any kids in Canada.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I checked this one. No 5-point harness, so not suitable for kids under 4 or under 40lbs, and no Canadian sticker (ships from US), so not legal for any kids in Canada.
did you try my suggestion?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbuff
did you try my suggestion?
Yep. In 991, the bottom cushion is combined for both seats and the central tunnel, so removing it removes the leather cover from the central tunnel, and there is nothing but ugliness under it (edges of carpet, sound absorber etc). I've read somewhere that the carpet cover for the central tunnel from GT3 or GTS might fit, so I may do that if I do not find any other options.

Quick Reply: 5-point boosters in Canada?