Notices

Time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:50 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to sell?

Just wanted everyone’s opinion, thinking of selling my 2001 C4 Cab, Black on Natural Brown w/ 44k. I have a hard top and winter tires on the car. Should I wait until the spring since it’s a cab or sell now since it’s a C4 w/ hard top and winter wheels? Will it make a difference?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Very few people drive their 911s in the winter, AWD or not. And even fewer buyers are out looking to take someones 911 for a test drive once it gets cold. (Im one of the few who loves buying sports cars in the late Fall and Winter when the best deals can be had. My 997 was purchased in Feb 2015, in the dead of Winter. The Dealership had to drive it across the city in sub freezing temps on summer tires for the PPI... LOL)

If storage fees and insurance are minimal, you are very likely to get a few grand more for it in the Spring. That being said, nothing to stop you from listing it now at the price you want. Just dont be discouraged if you dont get much action until the first mild day in Spring.

Last edited by halo777; 11-26-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

Manual or tip?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Z0RR0
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, this season is traditionally a buyer's market. However, with the negligible cost of advertising it, nothing wrong with posting it at the price you want and seeing what happens. You may get not much more than lowballers, but if just one perso is out there and buys it, then it's all good.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I disagree with the notion that there's nothing wrong with listing it now and waiting to see what happens. Serious buyers will often watch the market for extended periods, and they get to know which cars have been listed and aren't selling, and which are listed then quickly sell. A stale listing can be bad. If you want to try the market now, list it, give it a few weeks (6 at most), if it doesn't sell, take the ad down and wait till spring. When you re-list it in the spring, use different photos taken at a different location, and re-write the ad so there's not even a hint of familiarity. The best time to relist is as soon as the temperature hits 15 for the first time. That's when spring fever hits. If you're looking to trade, dealers do their spring buying in late February/early March.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Christien is right.

stale car and house listings develop an odour
Old 11-26-2017, 08:59 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Manual or tip?
manual
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
I disagree with the notion that there's nothing wrong with listing it now and waiting to see what happens. Serious buyers will often watch the market for extended periods, and they get to know which cars have been listed and aren't selling, and which are listed then quickly sell. A stale listing can be bad. If you want to try the market now, list it, give it a few weeks (6 at most), if it doesn't sell, take the ad down and wait till spring. When you re-list it in the spring, use different photos taken at a different location, and re-write the ad so there's not even a hint of familiarity. The best time to relist is as soon as the temperature hits 15 for the first time. That's when spring fever hits. If you're looking to trade, dealers do their spring buying in late February/early March.
yeah this is what I was thinking, the last thing I want to hear is “oh you had it for sale 4 months ago at $x.xx, so since you couldn’t sell it I will give you..”
i guess I will have to take your advice and redo the entire ad if I list it now.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like the advice I give my RE clients! If buyers see a house/car sitting, they assume something is wrong.

Strike at the the right time of the year and don't be crazy with your pricing - be on the high side of fair, but still realistic.

Originally Posted by Christien
Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

This is almost the worst time to sell a convertible. Only time worse is right after Christmas when people maxed out their credit cards. Wait until spring.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

list it very late winter/very early spring... soon as the slightest hint of nice weather...
Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Where are the obligatory pictures of the car?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

People with convertible on the mind in December, usually live in California and Florida.
Wait til spring.

Quick Reply: Time to sell?