Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Time to sell? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1036514-time-to-sell.html)

911porschefan 11-25-2017 09:50 PM

Time to sell?

Just wanted everyone’s opinion, thinking of selling my 2001 C4 Cab, Black on Natural Brown w/ 44k. I have a hard top and winter tires on the car. Should I wait until the spring since it’s a cab or sell now since it’s a C4 w/ hard top and winter wheels? Will it make a difference?

halo777 11-26-2017 12:37 AM

Very few people drive their 911s in the winter, AWD or not. And even fewer buyers are out looking to take someones 911 for a test drive once it gets cold. (Im one of the few who loves buying sports cars in the late Fall and Winter when the best deals can be had. My 997 was purchased in Feb 2015, in the dead of Winter. The Dealership had to drive it across the city in sub freezing temps on summer tires for the PPI... LOL)

If storage fees and insurance are minimal, you are very likely to get a few grand more for it in the Spring. That being said, nothing to stop you from listing it now at the price you want. Just dont be discouraged if you dont get much action until the first mild day in Spring.

Bud Fox 11-26-2017 03:26 PM

Manual or tip?

Z0RR0 11-26-2017 04:59 PM

As mentioned, this season is traditionally a buyer's market. However, with the negligible cost of advertising it, nothing wrong with posting it at the price you want and seeing what happens. You may get not much more than lowballers, but if just one perso is out there and buys it, then it's all good.

Christien 11-26-2017 05:46 PM

I disagree with the notion that there's nothing wrong with listing it now and waiting to see what happens. Serious buyers will often watch the market for extended periods, and they get to know which cars have been listed and aren't selling, and which are listed then quickly sell. A stale listing can be bad. If you want to try the market now, list it, give it a few weeks (6 at most), if it doesn't sell, take the ad down and wait till spring. When you re-list it in the spring, use different photos taken at a different location, and re-write the ad so there's not even a hint of familiarity. The best time to relist is as soon as the temperature hits 15 for the first time. That's when spring fever hits. If you're looking to trade, dealers do their spring buying in late February/early March.

Jamie140 11-26-2017 07:46 PM

Christien is right.

stale car and house listings develop an odour

911porschefan 11-26-2017 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Fox (Post 14629157)
Manual or tip?

manual

911porschefan 11-26-2017 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 14629365)
I disagree with the notion that there's nothing wrong with listing it now and waiting to see what happens. Serious buyers will often watch the market for extended periods, and they get to know which cars have been listed and aren't selling, and which are listed then quickly sell. A stale listing can be bad. If you want to try the market now, list it, give it a few weeks (6 at most), if it doesn't sell, take the ad down and wait till spring. When you re-list it in the spring, use different photos taken at a different location, and re-write the ad so there's not even a hint of familiarity. The best time to relist is as soon as the temperature hits 15 for the first time. That's when spring fever hits. If you're looking to trade, dealers do their spring buying in late February/early March.

yeah this is what I was thinking, the last thing I want to hear is “oh you had it for sale 4 months ago at $x.xx, so since you couldn’t sell it I will give you..”
i guess I will have to take your advice and redo the entire ad if I list it now.

ggrace 11-28-2017 11:36 PM

Sounds like the advice I give my RE clients! If buyers see a house/car sitting, they assume something is wrong.

Strike at the the right time of the year and don't be crazy with your pricing - be on the high side of fair, but still realistic.

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 14629365)

Imo000 11-29-2017 10:28 AM

This is almost the worst time to sell a convertible. Only time worse is right after Christmas when people maxed out their credit cards. Wait until spring.

993GT 11-29-2017 11:28 AM

list it very late winter/very early spring... soon as the slightest hint of nice weather...

exc911ence 12-06-2017 03:16 AM

Where are the obligatory pictures of the car? :rtfm:

:D

wc11 12-06-2017 08:54 AM

People with convertible on the mind in December, usually live in California and Florida.
Wait til spring.