Notices

VW Canada Raided in emmissions probe

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
Well, from what I hear, those TDI cars that have been "fixed" are not as good as they were before. The power output is not the same and they are not as fuel efficient.

What I think our government should've done is fine VW for defeating emission testing, mandate a reimbursement payment to owners, and forbid selling new cars affected by the issue. But, leave existing used cars alone and let people who own them keep them as they are. They are no more polluting than so many other vehicles on our roads. Granted that resale market for the "dirty" TDIs will be affected, I bet there will still be plenty of people willing to buy them.
I agree that this is grandstanding by the Wynne Government - shes famous for this kind of BS.

The main problem is that we don't have a law in Canada (nor the US) that MANDATES that someone receiving a recall notice for any type of corrective action (either safety or pollution) for their car MUST come into a dealership to have the problem corrected. But Ontario might have a solution...

Dealership's can send letters out until they are blue in the face to some people whom will just throw them away. The reason? As you point out, the performance of these cars will be detuned (cheaper fix) rather than expansive mod's that will maintain current performance while running cleaner.

But here's the rub: States like California that do have testing, could threaten VW owners that have not given back the car or had it repaired that time is running out - no fix - no plate. But even if all 13 States that have clean air testing do this, what about the other 37? That's a US and VW problem they have to solve. (See link)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#2192c129146e

Could the plan in ONTARIO be: A limited time to take advantage of any VW Canada offer and after that time period is up - the next clean air test date for your car - the testing center will reject your car as soon as the VIN is scanned? No need for a test - the VIN info from VW Canada's database of cars repaired within the repair window would be handed over to the Ministry. Not in that database - no sticker.

Harsh? Yes. But perfectly understandable from a point of law. These cars did not meet the standards.

Despite their small size, the Volkswagen diesels produce a large amount of nitrogen oxide pollutants, Mr. German said, up to 40 times what is allowed under the Clean Air Act. The Passat sedan is emitting an amount of nitrogen oxides similar to that of a modern, medium-duty truck, he said, while the Jetta — and its sibling the Golf — have emissions similar to those of a typical modern 18-wheeler, he said. The Jetta and Golf use a different emissions system than the Passat. - NY Times article.

Its not like VW Canada didn't offer deals here... (See link)

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mot...vws-dieselgate

But the bottom line is the Province and the environment shouldn't have to put up with these cars for the next 20 years simply because *some* of these owners don't want to lose 15% fuel mileage (guessing) or reduced throttle pick up. In my view, if I owned one, I'd give the car back because of... (See link about horrible fix issues in the UK)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswa...ed-latest-news

Now Germany is considering de-registering ALL of the cars not fixed.

Nearly two years later, almost 5.5 million of the 8.5 million affected models in Europe have been retrofitted, including 1.8 million cars in VW’s German home market.

But many drivers do not want their cars to be retrofitted with new software, fearing any changes to make the vehicles comply with emissions standards would result in them being slower and consuming more fuel.

Focus Online reported that depending on when recall notices were issued, some VW drivers could have their cars de-registered as early as next month and would also have to pay any resulting fees.

A spokesman at Wolfsburg-based VW declined to comment.
- Reuters

So bottom line - take the money and run!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The performance decrease is either barely noticeable or not noticeable at all. I've been on the TDI forum for a long time and have been following this every since the "diesel smoke hit the fan". Owners are getting huge compensations from VW and the ability to return the cars and/or have them fixed. I don't feel sorry for any TDI owner, they are all laughing all the way to the bank. No one HAS TO get their cars fixed, they can choose not to but they will not get any money from VW. VW is more than generous to the owners but some can't be please regardless what they do hence the stupid class action lawsuits. I have not heard anything remotely official about not letting the unrepaired cars not to be able to register them yet. The is a huge internet hysteria about this and a crap load of misinformation floating around. The sky isn't falling so let's just relax and wait what the official channels say before panicking.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
I have not heard anything remotely official about not letting the unrepaired cars not to be able to register them yet. The is a huge internet hysteria about this and a crap load of misinformation floating around.
Are you up for a wager?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Are you up for a wager?
No need, just post the government site.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

No need, just post the government site.
I'm talking about MOE policy advice given to the Minster for *future* action. I give it 18 months before we start hearing of a 'deadline'...
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I'm talking about MOE policy advice given to the Minster for *future* action. I give it 18 months before we start hearing of a 'deadline'...

Given by whom?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Given by whom?
Idiotic advisors in MOE. The same group that felt that a 'show of environmental firmness' by questioning dealer tech's and service managers that know zero about the coding inside a Bosch ECM and a swat like visit to VW Canada was perfect for a great media release opportunity- this after cooperation and statements from VWC that it is the corporate parent in Germany they should be talking to. But our local yokels with s**t for brains decide VWC must be hiding something? That's whom...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

i've been window shopping kijiji for vw's (golf tsi, GTI) I've seen a bunch of used 2015 TDI's from dealer lots on there.... are these fixed? I believe they are golfs,jettas passats.....
Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
i've been window shopping kijiji for vw's (golf tsi, GTI) I've seen a bunch of used 2015 TDI's from dealer lots on there.... are these fixed? I believe they are golfs,jettas passats.....
Yes 15's that were sitting on lots for along time were fixed.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Greg981
Racer

The performance decrease is either barely noticeable or not noticeable at all. I've been on the TDI forum for a long time and have been following this every since the "diesel smoke hit the fan". Owners are getting huge compensations from VW and the ability to return the cars and/or have them fixed. I don't feel sorry for any TDI owner, they are all laughing all the way to the bank. No one HAS TO get their cars fixed, they can choose not to but they will not get any money from VW. VW is more than generous to the owners but some can't be please regardless what they do hence the stupid class action lawsuits. I have not heard anything remotely official about not letting the unrepaired cars not to be able to register them yet. The is a huge internet hysteria about this and a crap load of misinformation floating around. The sky isn't falling so let's just relax and wait what the official channels say before panicking.
I am one of those owners. 2013 TDI wagon. I will take the buyback and yes it is generous. Im in no hurry though. We have till September 2018 to file the paper work. From what I understand as long as we stay within an average of 24000kms per year from new we won't receive any less next year then I would if I took the buyback today.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Greg981
I am one of those owners. 2013 TDI wagon. I will take the buyback and yes it is generous. Im in no hurry though. We have till September 2018 to file the paper work. From what I understand as long as we stay within an average of 24000kms per year from new we won't receive any less next year then I would if I took the buyback today.
But if the car gets into an accident then all this goes out the window?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Greg981
Racer

But if the car gets into an accident then all this goes out the window?
Why? Insurance would pay to fix then proceed with buyback.
I guess I would loose if it was written off. I don't spend my time worrying about what if's like that.

Even if we needed to replace front brakes (its possible) where can I get the use of a car for a year for the price of a front brake job?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For wats its worth, I too have been keeping an eye on the TDI Retrofit, from what I know the retrofit is a good one it fixes the problem with the NO emissions and VW has done good by their customers to maintain the original stock HP performance. They do this by raising the software limiters to allow the N75 valve to operate at higher boost pressures to maintain the original stock HP level. Unfortunately there is no free ride so fuel economy will be worst when compared to the original tune.

Over all the retrofit isn't as bad as most make it out to be, if you drive alot of miles and need a diesel then it is still a good plan.

For the guys not in an emissions test area, you can still tune your diesel for even more HP, there is still alot left on the table even with the retrofit.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Went to Audi.ca today after a couple months. The TDI info page tile is gone, there is only a text link in the footer. The last item.

Quick Reply: VW Canada Raided in emmissions probe