Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   VW Canada Raided in emmissions probe (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1026013-vw-canada-raided-in-emmissions-probe.html)

wc11 09-20-2017 10:47 AM

VW Canada Raided in emmissions probe

http://nationalpost.com/news/ontario...-scandal-probe

Bahama 09-20-2017 11:58 AM

Shouldn't those people who continue to drive the VW Diesels in question, and are knowingly contributing to the demise of the environment, be equally charged, fined, and imprisoned ? Now back to the garden to rinse the jet fuel off of my tomatoes and cucumbers... :soapbox:

wc11 09-20-2017 12:57 PM

I'm gonna bet they didn't show up in a Prius or Volt.
More like Suburbans I think.

And I need that jet fuel!

Jamie140 09-20-2017 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bahama (Post 14487056)
Shouldn't those people who continue to drive the VW Diesels in question, and are knowingly contributing to the demise of the environment, be equally charged, fined, and imprisoned ? Now back to the garden to rinse the jet fuel off of my tomatoes and cucumbers... :soapbox:

Hanging's too good for them!

3uro911 09-20-2017 05:30 PM

I'm still waiting for the Cdn verdict on the 3.0L payouts :(

olegd 09-20-2017 05:43 PM

Oh please, are you serious? Millions of Diesel trucks are contributing way more to pollution than a couple thousand VW TDI cars on our roads. The whole thing is a total cash grab by the US government and greedy lawyers who make tons of cash from class action. Our authorities are as usual just following the US lead. Yes VW was forces to cheat when confronted by impossible pollution standards after investing billions in the technology.

jumper5836 09-20-2017 05:48 PM

:thumbsup:

Walt L 09-20-2017 05:58 PM

Got a lousy $500 gift card from Audi for our 3.0TDI troubles...

TurboS 09-20-2017 11:50 PM

People purchase diesels and pay a premium for them for the fuel mileage advantage over their gasoline counterparts, not because they are better for the environment. How are drivers of said vehicles at fault of anything, other than purchasing a car from a manufacturer that is a scum bag and a cheat, that fortunately got caught?

petee_c 09-22-2017 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Walt L (Post 14487927)
Got a lousy $500 gift card from Audi for our 3.0TDI troubles...

Yeah, and let me tell you $500 doesn't go far at Audi...

1 rubber mat for cargo section of our q7
18L of fancy smancy Castrol LL diesel oil
1 ball cap.
1 rear wiper blade....

.... Just bought new tires for my wife's q7..... Keeping the old carcasess - almost down to the wear bars... just in case we need to turn it in the next 12 months or so. The thing eats tires.

Mike K. 09-22-2017 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by olegd (Post 14487898)
Oh please, are you serious? Millions of Diesel trucks are contributing way more to pollution than a couple thousand VW TDI cars on our roads. The whole thing is a total cash grab by the US government and greedy lawyers who make tons of cash from class action. Our authorities are as usual just following the US lead. Yes VW was forces to cheat when confronted by impossible pollution standards after investing billions in the technology.

BINGO :bowdown::banghead:

Torontoworker 09-25-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by olegd (Post 14487898)
Yes VW was forces to cheat when confronted by impossible pollution standards after investing billions in the technology.

In the interests of accuracy, the reasons *why* VW chose the path they took was about COSTS. It had nothing to do with 'impossible standards' - just that the amount of money they wanted to spend on engineering these models, did not match the CFO's target for *return* on each vehicle. The technology is available - VW just didn't want to use it because it was going to add $1750 per vehicle, (although I heard 50% higher number) at the design stage. Of course *now*... retro urea fitting tanks, new software developed, fittings and the like probably will cost three times what it would have cost had it been designed this way from the get go. The problem is the low value of the cars and the return on them in comparison to a $100K+ Merc that the cost could be absorbed a little better. So the decision was, 1. Not to sell these cars in the US/Canada market (and that was discussed at board level) or 2. Find another way to meet the regulations, (basically CARB standard).

Europe have fallen out of love of diesels for the simple reason is the air quality is CRAP in the major cities now. Popularity of diesels has unintended costs... I was in Paris last summer and couldn't believe the orange haze - reminiscent of Toronto when Lakeview was at full chat.

The employees that are taking a bullet for senior management were TOLD to find a way to meet the reg's (wink) or find another line of work. This is a direct page out of the Ferdinand Piech manual of employee *coaching*. :rolleyes:

BIG smoke 09-26-2017 02:06 PM

sept 25th http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ourt-documents

Imo000 09-27-2017 12:13 PM

I love rolling coal on my VW. :)

olegd 09-27-2017 03:07 PM

Well, from what I hear, those TDI cars that have been "fixed" are not as good as they were before. The power output is not the same and they are not as fuel efficient.

What I think our government should've done is fine VW for defeating emission testing, mandate a reimbursement payment to owners, and forbid selling new cars affected by the issue. But, leave existing used cars alone and let people who own them keep them as they are. They are no more polluting than so many other vehicles on our roads. Granted that resale market for the "dirty" TDIs will be affected, I bet there will still be plenty of people willing to buy them.