Notices

Shop to do Fister mod in GTA/905

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:52 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Shop to do Fister mod in GTA/905

I am looking for a shop that will do the 'Fister' mod on my mufflers (I will remove them from the car).

Any recommendations?

What about 1.5 vs 1.75 inch bypass diameter?

Price range to expect?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 05:00 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

I know L&G exhaust in Markham advertised that they have modified unit for sales before on Kijiji so check with them
Old 08-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I know L&G exhaust in Markham advertised that they have modified unit for sales before on Kijiji so check with them
I'm also looking into this too, debating Fister vs. Gundo and I've seen their add on Kijiji.

FYI, I found this thread from earlier this year:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-on-997-a.html
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 PM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys looking for someone to do the equivalent mod to your mufflers? If so I'd be interested as well for a 991.1. I was in contact with Fister for just buying their mufflers so if we can get a few people together to buy and split shipping, I might be interested in that too.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Print some pictures of the mod and take it to a couple local independent muffler shops. Most can easily do it for cheap. If that fails, there is a shop in Guelph that did this for a 996 for less than $100.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 AM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm talking about the Fister D mod (not Gundo). A group arrangement would be good, however, shipping to California to Fister would be expensive, hence my search for a 'local' solution.

Yes I used some of the pictures from this link to get quotes. L&G seems to charge $350 each, seems expensive to me but that might include muffler removal and reinstall, I'll call them next week.

Local shop wanted $400 plus materials, again seemed a bit high given some of the amounts I saw in the thread. I really didn't get a good 'feeling' from the Tech I spoke to.

Pfaff is way too expensive, as many have said.

I'll check Tech Tune and Argus next week.

Mark Henry (post #74 from the thread/link) made comments about doing the mod using SS (obviously preferred) but I don't see anything else about him. Mark, please reply.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM
danio
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did my Gundo Hack at Centerline Motorsports yesterday. $350.

Speak to Rene, and name drop Dan from VW sent you.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The fister and gundo are the same thing. The hanksville hack is like the pse. On a .1 the unused pse port can be opened and bypassed to the first tail pipe exiting out the muffler. On a .2 the tailpipe exits at the other end of the muffler so the bypass pipe from the pse port will be longer and more difficult to fab. Doing the gundo is a straight pipe joining the incoming exhaust and outgoing tail pipe. The fister is just a curved piece between the 2. I have a template that can be used for a straight inlet to outlet on either the .1 or .2. It is for a 2" ss pipe which I recommend but can also be used as a guide for a 1.5" pipe as well. It will save time and money as this is a custom mod. Materials are $12 and the majority of the time, about 1-2 hours ( depending how nice you want the holes an joint to fit) to cut and fab the bypass pipe and inlet outlet holes. Removal is a time dependant issue depending on rusted nuts, install is much easier and use ss bolts and nuts.

Imo 350 is an awesome price if it includes removal and install.

This is 2"

Last edited by docdrs; 08-09-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
I'm talking about the Fister D mod (not Gundo). A group arrangement would be good, however, shipping to California to Fister would be expensive, hence my search for a 'local' solution.

Yes I used some of the pictures from this link to get quotes. L&G seems to charge $350 each, seems expensive to me but that might include muffler removal and reinstall, I'll call them next week.

Local shop wanted $400 plus materials, again seemed a bit high given some of the amounts I saw in the thread. I really didn't get a good 'feeling' from the Tech I spoke to.

Pfaff is way too expensive, as many have said.

I'll check Tech Tune and Argus next week.

Mark Henry (post #74 from the thread/link) made comments about doing the mod using SS (obviously preferred) but I don't see anything else about him. Mark, please reply.
You are getting the badge treatment for price. All those are way over priced because the shops know it's for a Porsche. Find a shop that treats you fairly and doesn't care what the muffler are from. Show the picture and ask them for a quote. If they ask what the mufflers are from, tell them it's for a custom project. If they use stainless, anything over $250 for BOTH mufflers is a rip off.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

I also remember Tech Tune Exhaust in Etobicoke as an option for the mod. Can't remember the pricing as it was a few years ago but I will be looking into it as well for our 2006 C2S.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:23 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danio
Just did my Gundo Hack at Centerline Motorsports yesterday. $350.

Speak to Rene, and name drop Dan from VW sent you.
Is that $350 total? L&G just told me it's $350 per side ($700 total) which I think is way more expensive than the Fister option with shipping and everything.

I'll call Centerline either tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did this mod on my .2 4S...Best mod ever..It's making all sorts of crackling, popping sounds.

Cella Auto in Bolton did mine and many others. Shouldn't cost more than $300. It's a very easy mod.

Here's a pic of my muffler

Old 08-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
I just did this mod on my .2 4S...Best mod ever..It's making all sorts of crackling, popping sounds.

Cella Auto in Bolton did mine and many others. Shouldn't cost more than $300. It's a very easy mod.

Here's a pic of my muffler

Hi Sam, did you remove the mufflers or did they for that price?

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5070
Hi Sam, did you remove the mufflers or did they for that price?

Thanks, Mike
I didn't do anything. I just drove there waited a bit and drove back smiling !!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:03 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
I just did this mod on my .2 4S...Best mod ever..It's making all sorts of crackling, popping sounds.....
Is that a 2" pipe ? Not too loud ?

Quick Reply: Shop to do Fister mod in GTA/905