Notices

Targa New Zealand 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes, David Holder at Monit explained to me the new unit would need to have both. Quite honestly once you have hooked up the wheel speed sensor there really is no longer any good need for the GPS, it becomes redundant (it also needs a hardwired power solution anyhow). Also with the GPS only you wouild have to have the unit mounted on the dash (I didnt want to do this for obvious reasons). That being said it could provide a solution between cars if the course you were driving was known not to have any dead spots. In fairness the only two places I have driven where GPS dead spots exist was Targa Tour 2012 central North island in the valleys, in tunnels and in Europe in tunnels and on the Alpine routes. Tonnes more blind spots in Europe than I anticipated. At one stage I was without GPS for almost 10 minutes!

For this rally spirnt I dont think you will need any form of rally computer myself. The course is short and you have recced half of it. However if you graduate to the full event you will need the hard-wire solution.

I think any one of a number of apps will be fine for the Ecolight event ...
I suspect you are right in that we should be able to get away with nothing this weekend. My desire to have something is driven from wanting to understand the full experience. This weekend is a bit of an experiment on how the Targa Tour works, so playing with course notes, GPS distance count down, etc. is all part of the learning experience.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 Turbo rally tripmeter chrono mount for mobile phone

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Thanks, I just downloaded the GPS Tripmeter, looks nice and simple and seems to work okay. Just need to figure out a temporary mount for the phone now so Pete can use it on Sunday.
FWIW, I just worked through that mounting business myself and made one last night. It provides a socket for a standard '1/4inch 20 turn' camera thread next to the centre console in the corner near the glovebox. An adjustable boom with phone holder screws into that and keeps things out of the way of the airbag. Tested fine just now as did GPS Tripmeter and Racechrono running together.

Attachment 810735

Attachment 810736

Attachment 810737

Attachment 810738

>>Pics failed -see next post<<

The 3m tabs stick out enough for me to remove it again if I want. Yes, it is too heavy and I'll hollow out the plate sometime but me and the hacksaw were going to come to blows if I didn't leave it there last night.

I must remember to put the phone in 'airplane mode' while running the stages. Not sure Jane wants to take messages for me from the co-driver's seat.

Last edited by 996tnz; 02-27-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Pics failed to show
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default 996 Turbo Rally Tripmeter Chrono mount

(Retry - pics weren't showing)
Originally Posted by 996tnz
FWIW, I just worked through that mounting business myself and made one last night. It provides a socket for a standard '1/4inch 20 turn' camera thread next to the centre console in the corner near the glovebox. An adjustable boom with phone holder screws into that and keeps things out of the way of the airbag. Tested fine just now as did GPS Tripmeter and Racechrono running together.

Attachment 810748

Attachment 810749

Attachment 810750

Attachment 810751

The 3m tabs stick out enough for me to remove it again if I want. Yes, it is too heavy and I'll hollow out the plate sometime but me and the hacksaw were going to come to blows if I didn't leave it there last night. The last pic would look better with the tripmeter in the holder instead but the phone is also my camera...

I must remember to put the phone in 'airplane mode' while running the stages. Not sure Jane wants to take messages for me from the co-driver's seat.

Last edited by 996tnz; 06-08-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Impressive, I think I will take an easier option though.

I just remembered I have a GripGo windscreen mount for a phone. When I got it it worked okay for the first month but then the sticky pad got dirty and lost it stickiness. It did however come with a second sticky pad which I have just installed and it is sticking like the proverbial to a blanket. Should be perfect for a few hours driving on Sunday and hopefully if Pete can stay busy with it he won't be sick .
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Impressive, I think I will take an easier option though.

I just remembered I have a GripGo windscreen mount for a phone. When I got it it worked okay for the first month but then the sticky pad got dirty and lost it stickiness. It did however come with a second sticky pad which I have just installed and it is sticking like the proverbial to a blanket. Should be perfect for a few hours driving on Sunday and hopefully if Pete can stay busy with it he won't be sick .
Got one of those yesterday and was going to put it on the passenger window as Jane probably can't reach the windscreen when belted in. Then remembered she'll likely need to wind that one down to talk to officials. The above was my last minute plan B. Pete's arms are likely longer so I'm sure yours will work fine.

See you Sunday!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

So, signed up to do the North island Targa in May. I'm in Auckland, anyone raced this recently who can give us the rundown on what we need to know! There is so much that I don't know at this point. I've got a few beers and a pen for notes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:54 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
So, signed up to do the North island Targa in May. I'm in Auckland, anyone raced this recently who can give us the rundown on what we need to know! There is so much that I don't know at this point. I've got a few beers and a pen for notes
Hi. A few of us just did the one day Targa Tour around South Auckland and have signed up for the May event as well. Not sure I know too much about it, but happy to catch up and help with anything I can. If you are doing it in a Porsche you will feel right at home as there are plenty of Porsches in there. Best bet is to send me a private message.