3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance friction 08 or Pagid RS29 brake pads

good and bad points for this pads, track days and occasional road use
Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Different animals in terms of initial bite, pressure, warm up.

I would not use RS29 for 'occasional' road use.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

08's.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

RS29 must be bedded in as specified by Pagid. PFC 08 requires no special bedding. Both will make road noise ...like a shreak when you apply brakes.
PFC 08 will definitely outlast Pagid and has more initial bite. Some of the faster cars GT4s and GT3s have told me that Pagid will no longer stop the car when you get down to less than 1/2 the pad.
PFC is pretty much good to the backing plate.
PFC runs hot on the rotors where RS29 runs cooler and is friendlier to the rotors.
IF you are doing mostly track stuff you should consider Ferodo DS1.11.....very friendly to the rotors,
must be bedded in and will schreech but the modulation and release is to die for. Of all that have gone from PFC or Pagid to Ferodo I have only had 2 guys go back......all the rest rave about the performance.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 07-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I ran PFC 06, 08, and 11 in a Cayman S. Didn't like the 11 and when I needed pads for my GT4, 11 was the only choice. Tried the Ferodo DS1.11 and am very happy with it. They were very noisy on the street but this has calmed down and I'm leaving them in all the time. Recently one my friends who is running a GT4 with Pagids remarked that my rotor wear is much less than his.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
RS29 must be bedded in as specified by Pagid. PFC 08 requires no special bedding. Both will make road noise ...like a shreak when you apply brakes.
PFC 08 will definitely outlast Pagid and has more initial bite. Some of the faster cars GT4s and GT3s have told me that Pagid will no longer stop the car when you get down to less than 1/2 the pad.
PFC runs hot on the rotors where RS29 runs cooler and is friendlier to the rotors.
IF you are doing mostly track stuff you should consider Ferodo DS1.11.....very friendly to the rotors,
must be bedded in and will schreech but the modulation and release is to die for. Of all that have gone from PFC or Pagid to Ferodo I have only had 2 guys go back......all the rest rave about the performance.
I think the 08s are a better choice as well. However, I have developed a very bullet proof bedding process that takes full understanding of why rotors and pads make noise ("screeching sound", even after the tradittional bedding and a track day or even race)

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I ran PFC 06, 08, and 11 in a Cayman S. Didn't like the 11 and when I needed pads for my GT4, 11 was the only choice. Tried the Ferodo DS1.11 and am very happy with it. They were very noisy on the street but this has calmed down and I'm leaving them in all the time. Recently one my friends who is running a GT4 with Pagids remarked that my rotor wear is much less than his.
Ive been running (racing) the PFC11s for a few years now... 4-5 sets and have absolutely NO noise what so ever, and thats on a stock rotor and a 3 piece rotor. its all in the bedding process. Let me know if you want to know the process... if you havent had a track day on them yet, i can help.. after , its a little harder to bed properly to remove noise as the wear pattern is established.
the result is no noise, on or off the street or track.
The following users liked this post:
icepenguin66 (08-19-2023)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:44 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sparksy
good and bad points for this pads, track days and occasional road use
What is your car?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Vanos13
Intermediate

I use the 08s on a dual purpose car. They're quiet, long lasting, have good performance on the track, and cold bite is adequate. Only downsides are more dust than a street pad, the occasional squeal (usually only when I have been doing too much street driving) and a softer pedal on the track than I'd like. Not sure I can blame the pad for the last item though.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

I switched from the RS29's to the 08's and couldn't be happier. The Pagids were bad in the street until warmed up. The PFC's seem fine. The PFC 08's also seem to have a smoother initial bite which results in less ABS for me.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I love the PF 08, nice and silky feeling and strong, and actually work OK cold so I can leave them in for autocross or street tuning. They did seem to make a rusty mess on the insides of my rear wheels but that could have been from new rotors bedding in.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vanos13
I use the 08s on a dual purpose car. They're quiet, long lasting, have good performance on the track, and cold bite is adequate. Only downsides are more dust than a street pad, the occasional squeal (usually only when I have been doing too much street driving) and a softer pedal on the track than I'd like. Not sure I can blame the pad for the last item though.
yep, the last point is not the pad, its the fluid system. (bleeding issue, or other) ive never noticed any cold braking force issue with any race pad.... the difference can be made much more noticeable by not being bed properly.

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I switched from the RS29's to the 08's and couldn't be happier. The Pagids were bad in the street until warmed up. The PFC's seem fine. The PFC 08's also seem to have a smoother initial bite which results in less ABS for me.
the RS29/19 are a much harder pad and that makes them harder to bed as well as them having some cold braking force issue. that can also be bedding related too.

Originally Posted by analogmike
I love the PF 08, nice and silky feeling and strong, and actually work OK cold so I can leave them in for autocross or street tuning. They did seem to make a rusty mess on the insides of my rear wheels but that could have been from new rotors bedding in.
they do make a mess.. ive really liked the PFC11s for racing and on the track, they are fine too. no complaints when bedded correctly / completely
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 874 Posts

Yeah, what is the car?
In the abstract, what Clark said: PFC or Ferodo. I am generally not a Pagid fan at all.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
I love my pagids lifespan, bite, and how easy they are on my rotors but am always open to those with more experience so i may try the Ferodo's next time.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jferrante
I love my pagids lifespan, bite, and how easy they are on my rotors but am always open to those with more experience so i may try the Ferodo's next time.
I agree. the Pagids are excellent pads RS14s, the only think i had to change was the tempurature range due to the heat range i was operating at. the PFCs were a fix for that problem (almost entirely with the PFC 01/11... along with a hat and rotor size upgrade).
they must be a good pad, since most of the cup cars ran on them for many years.
try the PFCs when you get a chance.. amazing pads.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM
sparksy
3rd Gear

Hi

Thanks for all the info and advice on this subject, My car is not a Porsche, its a BMW M3 but I was finding very little about what people recommend on M3 forums other than everyone uses RS29's so done a search and this forum came up and the knowledge on this Forum seems a lot better regarding track use.
Im running Ferodo 2500's now but now really happy with them as the bite isn't great if I'm honest and the pad doesn't give confidence. I'm very limited with what Pad I can use for my Brembo Calipers, my options only seem to be PFC08, RS29's or Carbotech XP8/XP10's
I need to check to see if I can get the DS1.11 for my caliper

Thanks once again for eveyones help

Quick Reply: performance friction 08 or Pagid RS29 brake pads