Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would be considered the PCA 911 E-Class suspension gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sounds like Dan has a good, economical solution for the OP, for sure!
I'm a baller on a budget I'll see what Dan has lying around.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

As you know, but others reading this may not, I owned that car before you. That car was built by Charlie at Intersport for a back marker driver. That's who I bought the car from.
The suspension in that car is the same as both my current car and Evan's car (with the exception that my car has adjustable shocks, Evan's has same shocks as you). While that car was mostly driven by Sly, the few times I drove it, it was just as fast as my car.
That car doesn't need any suspension upgrades. It's not the suspension. Go do 10 or 12 race weekends before making changes.

Last edited by GT3DE; 07-13-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
As you know, but others reading this may not, I owned that car before you. That car was built by Charlie at Intersport for a back marker driver. That's who I bought the car from.
The suspension in that car is the same as both my current car and Evan's car (with the exception that my car has adjustable shocks, Evan's has same shocks as you). While that car was mostly driven by Sly, the few times I drove it, it was just as fast as my car.
That car doesn't need any suspension upgrades. It's not the suspension. Go do 10 or 12 race weekends before making changes.
Great info there. Time to start driving.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm a baller on a budget I'll see what Dan has lying around.
Also, schedule some time at the track with Evan... He has a great manner, solid information and soon serious tools to help bootstrap progress...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-15-2017, 03:24 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. Agreed on all points.

I'm still trying to figure out what's in the car. I've asked Charlie, but haven't heard back from him. I'd like to have a baseline of what has already been done.

I don't have enough seat time in it to probably give appropriate feedback for adjustments, but the car, when pushed becomes really unstable out back. The esses at VIR were particularly challenging at the top as the rear end was almost unmanageable setting up for south bend. I'm definitely going to start playing with sway bar settings before tearing anything out, but going over 8/10ths and the car was very squirrelly.

Do you know what's in the car? Probably a question I should have asked at the point of sale but I didn't know jack about E cars. For that matter, still don't know much but I'm trying to learn.

Are the shocks revalved?
Torsion bar size?
What brand sway bars?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Great info there. Time to start driving.
Agreed. Already planning more weekends. Had been racing a 914-6 prior to this, but a vintage 911 drives very very different through the corners. Way more throttle steering going on. As soon as it's out of the body shop, I'll be back at it.

Also, schedule some time at the track with Evan... He has a great manner, solid information and soon serious tools to help bootstrap progress...
Yeah, he's a good guy and obviously very quick. Would most certainly like to collaborate with him on getting more out of me and the car.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 PM
714evo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not have realized that since its not covered in duct tape.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 714evo
I would not have realized that since its not covered in duct tape.
LOL!

It looks like one of Clarks's cars now after the VIR weekend

Cue the price is right loser song....
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you do that much damage going so slow?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
How can you do that much damage going so slow?
It's not easy!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the reasons I went back to E class. Pick your t bars, match your bilsteins to them, put in Smart Sways and away you go. Then again the guys finishing ahead of me are running remote doubles or triples
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmmm not Evan!

Originally Posted by good hands
One of the reasons I went back to E class. Pick your t bars, match your bilsteins to them, put in Smart Sways and away you go. Then again the guys finishing ahead of me are running remote doubles or triples
Old 07-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Peter I think I know what tools you're talking about and I AM EXCITED!

Seriously to OP - Evan has been coaching me for a year and a half and took me from ok DE drover to podiums and even some class and overall wins.

Safety, seat time, and coaching are imho the best investments, in that order...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:12 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is unusually twitchy, look to the alignment settings... not wholesale suspension parts. You're not going to wear out t bars.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Turns out one of the rear sway bar mounts broke... Which explains why the rear end wouldn't settle down.

I guess step one will be to replace the mount with an aftermarket reinforcement kit like this one and then go drive again:

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...nforcement-kit

Unless there is another option you guys prefer... Buckley used to sell his version but no longer offers them.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't offer any specific feedback for E class, but the spec 911 class with PRC is ridiculously competitive out west. Essentially the same platform, 911 with euro 3.0L.

Coming from racing cup cars, I had a hard time adapting to all the body roll even with 24/34mm torsion bars. Lots of the cars run super low ride height, so low that they take off the rear sway bar. Counter intuitive to everything I knew... until I put 2 and 2 together figured out that the fast guys are running on the bump stops. I like running a little higher with a small rear bar. Double check your rear bar diameter. Last I checked Elephant only sells the big Tarrett rear bar that's the same diameter as the front, total overkill, hence many people ripping their mounts off.

Nearly everyone out here runs the rebel racing's rear trailing arm bushings (I tried the elephant poly bronze and had issues). Lots of bushing options for the front A arms, I run the elephant.

Settings, I go 3 deg camber in front, 4.5 deg in rear. 2mm toe out in front, 3 mm toe in in the rear.

Quick Reply: Who would be considered the PCA 911 E-Class suspension gurus?