Sponsored by:

The Power of ProCoach

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Apologies to Joe. This thread has well and truly left the paved surface...
Disagree! Honest debates between people is very helpful.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzy8085
I recently noticed some things comparing iRacing to real life. I practiced COTA a bunch on my budget iRacing rig pre track day. Ton of bumps at COTA in real life that weren't in the sim. I guess they weren't there when the track was scanned. Couple slight variations in lines that work.

That being said. Loved that I had iRacing as a preparation tool. I was right on my pace for my current skill level set, first session out.
Yeah, word is that COTA has gotten very bumpy since construction in parts. This can affect your line, but the underlying physics that produce that line don't change. Different weather conditions, tire conditions, and myriad other factors will also alter the exact shape of your resulting line, but the process you go through to arrive at that line shouldn't change. Even a laser scanned track is not going to be exactly the same the day after you do it.

I recommend for drivers preparing on a sim for an upcoming race to constantly change the weather so they don't become used to an exact line and start driving too much by memory.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
What would be far more informative, objective and telling would be a serious analysis of the gSum, sector times, grip analysis, brake pressure and throttle position absolute values, as well as their relationship to one another on Chris' laps.

Only then can one even begin to say that what Chris did was "at the limit." More likely, it might (and probably would) show opportunities for improvement, which is in the end is what we ALL want.

There is NO car that CANNOT be driven faster, period.

Lastly, the idea of different lines for different experience levels is fundamentally incorrect, in order to achieve the most optimum results.

Teaching conflicting geometries and variable approaches and techniques sews confusion and prevents optimal formulation, development and execution of fundamental skills, all of which contribute to the optimal performance by any driver, in any car, on any track.

Apologies to Joe. This thread has well and truly left the paved surface...
I'm not saying he did it perfect, just that the basic technique was correct. He could certainly get faster, but only by doing the correct technique better. I wouldn't advocate teaching a novice driver a different line. I don't ever actually recommend teaching a "line" actually, but rather the principles that create an optimum line. I would want the novice driver to understand the optimum and work toward it, but also understand where their current skill level is and in a race situation make intelligent decisions as to what will produce the best results.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

COTA indeed continues to get bumpier and bumpier in more and more places.
However, it's not due to construction. It's due to the natural expansion and contraction of the clay amalgam soil of the area with extreme drought and flood cycles.
It's disappointing considering how much care was taken during construction, and how deep the base for the track was dug.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Disagree! Honest debates between people is very helpful.
Then, start a new thread on "different approaches to driving Lime Rock Park."

Rennlist IS an "honest debate."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

death spiral....?

Last edited by spg993tt; 06-29-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

spg993tt. Always liked your driving style. and past shop access...
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I watched the video analysis of the lime rock iracing simulation, etc. no idea what half the stuff said in there meant, death spiral and what-not. no clue. i have a decent # of laps at LRP, hold the overall PCA lap record there at 52.02 or so in gta2, and the gtc5 at 53 ish. and the fast time in a gtb2 cayman the world challenge car, at 55ish. i have no exact plan of attach as each car is a bit different in those turns. and that plan has to change day to day , based on temps, conditions, tires, and me. sometimes I'm precise, other times i can be a more risk taking.
but the #1 thing is ive found to get faster is to use a coach like the great coaches up here. when yo ufactor in the cost of tires, running, support...a coach to help you get faster is the best investment you can make.
I've worked with a few up here and respect them all and find them to be a great way to make a great day at the track better.
good coaches don't operate in a science lab but consider so many different factors, the most important probably being the car, conditions and me, the driver. some drivers are great trail brakers so maybe they can try stuff others cant. some can handle cars that are very loose while others like a tighter car. most of amateur drivers struggle with giving great feedback to the coaches, to the crew. so sometimes a coach is great for me since i can talk to them about what i was feeling, how the car was handling, where i think i could do better...they can digest that, review the data, and speak the right ideas to the crew who can implement some changes.

this thread was about the value of coaching. could not agree more. wish i used a coach more often. sometimes i just like not using a coach ,but I'm always faster with a coach.

here are two vids : the gbt2 lap which was pretty ok
the GTa2 lap.

btw, classic example of changing things based on car condition. that gta2 run was like 2 yeasr ago? was like 34 degrees everyone in winter jackets, snowflakes in the air. i think the car had another full 1second in it, just was not comfy motoring too much through the turns but rather just carried a bit more momentum into them and tried to be smoother on and off the throttle given the temps. it was legit flurrying at the grid.

trust in the coaches. they can help. if you can afford it and want it, you cant go wrong.
But, but, but he raced it on a simulator. SMH
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

Nice laps Steve
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I watched the video analysis of the lime rock iracing simulation, etc. no idea what half the stuff said in there meant, death spiral and what-not. no clue. i have a decent # of laps at LRP, hold the overall PCA lap record there at 52.02 or so in gta2, and the gtc5 at 53 ish. and the fast time in a gtb2 cayman the world challenge car, at 55ish. i have no exact plan of attach as each car is a bit different in those turns. and that plan has to change day to day , based on temps, conditions, tires, and me. sometimes I'm precise, other times i can be a more risk taking.
but the #1 thing is ive found to get faster is to use a coach like the great coaches up here. when yo ufactor in the cost of tires, running, support...a coach to help you get faster is the best investment you can make.
I've worked with a few up here and respect them all and find them to be a great way to make a great day at the track better.
good coaches don't operate in a science lab but consider so many different factors, the most important probably being the car, conditions and me, the driver. some drivers are great trail brakers so maybe they can try stuff others cant. some can handle cars that are very loose while others like a tighter car. most of amateur drivers struggle with giving great feedback to the coaches, to the crew. so sometimes a coach is great for me since i can talk to them about what i was feeling, how the car was handling, where i think i could do better...they can digest that, review the data, and speak the right ideas to the crew who can implement some changes.

this thread was about the value of coaching. could not agree more. wish i used a coach more often. sometimes i just like not using a coach ,but I'm always faster with a coach.

here are two vids : the gbt2 lap which was pretty ok
https://vimeo.com/223343208
the GTa2 lap. https://vimeo.com/126081810

btw, classic example of changing things based on car condition. that gta2 run was like 2 yeasr ago? was like 34 degrees everyone in winter jackets, snowflakes in the air. i think the car had another full 1second in it, just was not comfy motoring too much through the turns but rather just carried a bit more momentum into them and tried to be smoother on and off the throttle given the temps. it was legit flurrying at the grid.

trust in the coaches. they can help. if you can afford it and want it, you cant go wrong.
Those are some nice laps.. i see what peter means about not running the left hander wide... cars always in the power band and you got some hustle going on... looks like fun!
Mk
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

"death spiral..." I like it!

All good advice in your post.

That GTB2 lap is really pretty...

Quick Reply: The Power of ProCoach