Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum camber to not sacrifice the front edges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Minimum camber to not sacrifice the front edges?

Hey folks, I am the proud new owner of a 981 Cayman S. I have a lot of track experience in other cars but none in it yet (100+ days HPDE, a few SCCA formula mazda races). I have not ran a car hard on track in years that did not have proper alignment, so I'm worried about the P zero's edges. Can the ~1.5 degrees I can get stock save them, or do I absolutely have to get camber plates or LCA's? I tried to search and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on min. to avoid junking tires in 2 days.

I run at VIR, Barber, Road Atlanta, the good SE USA stuff.

Thanks for any input/thoughts.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

1.5 camber will not be enough
Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

-2.5 if you're tracking on street tires. Ideal is -3 to -3.5 if you're using a R comp or slick. P zeros suck on track, you won't like them if you've used dedicated track tires.

Not sure what to do for a Cayman but for 911's you can use a GT3 top mount and rotate it to get more camber.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Figured the P zeros sucked on track, but that's what's on it so I'll give them a shot first. Looks like most of the cayman folks run either Tarrett camber plates up top (adds a degree or so, for -2.5) or GT3 LCA's.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Thanks guys. Figured the P zeros sucked on track, but that's what's on it so I'll give them a shot first. Looks like most of the cayman folks run either Tarrett camber plates up top (adds a degree or so, for -2.5) or GT3 LCA's.
Some run both. If I had to choose one, I'd go with GT3 style LCA.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:56 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

To be clear, I'm not talking ideal here. Just that it won't shred the outsides in a couple of days on tires that I have to drive home on. If -2.5 or -3 is "ideal" with perfect heat distribution inside to outside on a street tires, what's the minimum to not cord the edges quickly? Obviously depends on track/driver, but generally.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I drive my car as well as track it; example, just returned from WGI, drove the car ~5 hours each way. The car came stock at near zero camber, we managed to get -2 degrees with the stock setup, decided to try that and check out the tires over time - that was 3 months and close to 20 track days ago. Here's what I learned:

1) I switched from MPSS to MSC2 and the difference in the two tires was staggering. The MPSS was showing inside wear while highway driving due to the camber, the MSC2 did not.

2) The -2 degrees of camber (while not near as good as 3 or 3.5) made a HUGE difference and really helped with the understeer I was experiencing.

3) As much as I would like to dial in more camber the fact is I drive the car on the open road too much to chew up tires just due to camber. So far the -2 degrees has worked out to be a pretty good happy-medium. I get better grip with reduced understeer along with descent wear on the open road.

This has been my experience thus far, of course someone else will post something completely different
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I drive my car as well as track it; example, just returned from WGI, drove the car ~5 hours each way. The car came stock at near zero camber, we managed to get -2 degrees with the stock setup, decided to try that and check out the tires over time - that was 3 months and close to 20 track days ago. Here's what I learned:

1) I switched from MPSS to MSC2 and the difference in the two tires was staggering. The MPSS was showing inside wear while highway driving due to the camber, the MSC2 did not.

2) The -2 degrees of camber (while not near as good as 3 or 3.5) made a HUGE difference and really helped with the understeer I was experiencing.

3) As much as I would like to dial in more camber the fact is I drive the car on the open road too much to chew up tires just due to camber. So far the -2 degrees has worked out to be a pretty good happy-medium. I get better grip with reduced understeer along with descent wear on the open road.

This has been my experience thus far, of course someone else will post something completely different
Cool, thanks for sharing. What toe are you running front? I know toe is at least as important as camber in terms of tire wear (toe out makes turn-in awesome, but shreds tires).

Also, sounds like 991's can get more camber stock? I'd feel a lot better with 2.0, but I read that most 981's can't get past 1.4 or 1.5 unless lowered or using plates/LCAs.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile There is no perfect street/track....

compromise save this one. Buy a second set of wheels and cajole a buddy with a trailer rig to take them to the track, and back home for you. A great cigar or two, perhaps a bottle of epic Scotch, that will do the trick. Prior to this, get some camber plates and crank in -3.5 up front, something compatible for the rear. Shoe them up with a set of Hoosier R7 tires. In my experience, Tarrett Engineering products are solid and affordable.

If the tire expense is a concern, there are sources for used race tires...Google the topic; you'll be surprised. Used wheels are out there too.

If you don't have a buddy with a trailer, go to Enterprise Commercial and rent a pick up, then off to U Haul for a car trailer. Enterprise is surprisingly affordable, with a fairly generous mileage allowance.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Cool, thanks for sharing. What toe are you running front? I know toe is at least as important as camber in terms of tire wear (toe out makes turn-in awesome, but shreds tires).

Also, sounds like 991's can get more camber stock? I'd feel a lot better with 2.0, but I read that most 981's can't get past 1.4 or 1.5 unless lowered or using plates/LCAs.
I don't remember the toe numbers, I'll try to remember to look at my paperwork tonight and pass the numbers on.

We didn't expect to get 2 degrees (were thinking 1.5 would be the max) so that just wound up being lucky. I will definitely go to the GT3 LCAs rather than shims when the time comes, much easier to deal with in the long run.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

For a combo street/track toe try 0 degrees.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Separate wheels and tires are in the long term plan, but not my first event in the new car.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:28 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 981 Cayman S as well. To start with street tires, go with as much camber as you can dial in with a stock set-up (you can't get much camber stock). Yes - the outsides will really wear, but not enough that you can't drive home. The other issue will be understeer going into corners - a lot!! But use that info as a base - and it should tell you where you want to be, and guide your tire / suspension selection.

Quick Reply: Minimum camber to not sacrifice the front edges?