Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran a simulator--didn't like it

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:00 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Some computer whiz kid wrote a software code to improve signal rate of Iracing to the DD wheel from 60Hz to 360Hz. Dont ask me for anymore explanations!!!

Result is lot more 'detail' at the wheel. It brought my DD wheel to life. You can power slide a skippy car on the sim effortlessly now. There is thread on iracing forums>hardware>irFFB. There is instructions about downloading the 3rd party software and tuning. It replaces the Nm slider in iracing with more details tuning options. Hope that helps
Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I used to build DoD flight simulators back in the day, a few things to note here:

1) If the motion and visual inputs are not synchronized you will blow chow (I think Peter mentioned this). We could delay the video by 500 ms and cause even the best pilots to get sick.

2) I haven't seen a motion based race simulator but unless they are doing the motion backwards it's nothing but a Disney ride. When you are in a full globe (flight simulator) the motion is actually backwards. Tilt the stick to the left and everything rolls to the right, this way you feel g's pulling you to the right while making a left turn (since you and the horizon are rolling together to the right you don't see this visually, you just feel the g load). To pull this off you have to be completely immersed - which I suspect VR goggles may get us to at a good price. The feeling of all this gives you great sensory inputs when done well.

3) The control inputs have to be synchronized with the whole system, otherwise it feels fake. You load up a wing you should feel it in the stick (after all THAT's what they are trying to get you to learn in the simulator), a car simulator should do the same thing.

FWIW - The last simulator I worked on costs around $25M, it's amazing how close we can get to that today for $10K.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I used to build DoD flight simulators back in the day, a few things to note here:

1) If the motion and visual inputs are not synchronized you will blow chow (I think Peter mentioned this). We could delay the video by 500 ms and cause even the best pilots to get sick.

2) I haven't seen a motion based race simulator but unless they are doing the motion backwards it's nothing but a Disney ride. When you are in a full globe (flight simulator) the motion is actually backwards. Tilt the stick to the left and everything rolls to the right, this way you feel g's pulling you to the right while making a left turn (since you and the horizon are rolling together to the right you don't see this visually, you just feel the g load). To pull this off you have to be completely immersed - which I suspect VR goggles may get us to at a good price. The feeling of all this gives you great sensory inputs when done well.

3) The control inputs have to be synchronized with the whole system, otherwise it feels fake. You load up a wing you should feel it in the stick (after all THAT's what they are trying to get you to learn in the simulator), a car simulator should do the same thing.

FWIW - The last simulator I worked on costs around $25M, it's amazing how close we can get to that today for $60K.
FIFY
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Some computer whiz kid wrote a software code to improve signal rate of Iracing to the DD wheel from 60Hz to 360Hz. Dont ask me for anymore explanations!!!

Result is lot more 'detail' at the wheel. It brought my DD wheel to life. You can power slide a skippy car on the sim effortlessly now. There is thread on iracing forums>hardware>irFFB. There is instructions about downloading the 3rd party software and tuning. It replaces the Nm slider in iracing with more details tuning options. Hope that helps
Amazing. Makes sense. I'll have to try that at home.

FWIW - The last simulator I worked on costs around $25M, it's amazing how close we can get to that today for $10K.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info. The slight disconnect between visual info and motion would absolutely explain the queasiness.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There are many ways to effect motion.

D-Box, Blue Tiger (now Eleetus), VRX, CXC and Simcraft are all out there and do things different ways. I like the D-Box, but haven't tried the CXC and am not a fan of the others.

When your inner ear senses motion that doesn't jibe with what your eyes see, it's not good. It's a serious issue and one recognized by the military. Not surprised with your reaction.
Originally Posted by tvr-4
I tried a CXC machine at a trade show a couple of years back running WGI in a Z3 GT3 car and thought it was an awesome experience.

Very balanced, good feel, realistic feedback.
Watched a couple of YouTube videos of CXC machines and they seem to be in a different league compared to the motion sim I tried. Much smaller hydraulic rams, quicker and more subtle (translating to more realistic) motion. Very impressive.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Another point of note re: aircraft simulators (as I contract for a company that builds smaller-scale flight simulators) - until you get to fighter jets (which we do not deal with - we build GA and commercial jet sims), things on airplanes happen much, much more slowly. As such, motion platforms can get away with some of the latency. Pull the stick back, the cables stretch, the ailerons move, they start to "bite" the air... THEN the plane moves. A few milli's of delay can be absorbed. You don't flick and jam the stick on an airplane (again, not talking fighter jets) like you do to the pedals/wheel in a race car.

I just don't think the technology is "there" yet, with respect to speed/accuracy/response time/affordability to do it accurately for a car.

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Watched a couple of YouTube videos of CXC machines and they seem to be in a different league compared to the motion sim I tried. Much smaller hydraulic rams, quicker and more subtle (translating to more realistic) motion. Very impressive.
CXC builds a nice, quality product, I've been fortunate to experience their setup a few times. But even then, the motion never felt "natural" - it was, as someone else said, just an amusement park ride. It added a layer of challenge, as you're now trying to control a virtual car with precision as this seat slams/throws/jiggles you around but the motion never seemed to make sense.

I've also had extensive seat time with the SimXperience Stage 5, combined with a VR headset.... and that was almost immediately vomit-inducing.

I like the concepts behind the Force Dynamics systems... and did get to try one once... but even then, it felt more amusement park, the motion was delayed.

Quick Reply: Ran a simulator--didn't like it