Sponsored by:

Student/instructor trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Student/instructor trouble

Hi guys, previous DE weekend, i had a 60yo student for his 1st time ever on track. This is my 2nd year instructing(im 29yo)

What a tough time. Let me tell you.
Im jumping in so many students cars to help them and eveyone are receptive, understanding and put my stuff in application and they are very pleased.

Guy was a gentleman ans very trill do put his car in track.

I showed him the line for a few laps on the 1st session. I keep repeting again and again.

He was early apex, tracking out mid track, had no clue what was the next turn, trouble with hands on steering, not watching mirrors.

He was happy, he had fun, understood me but just couldn't do it....

The last 2 session, i somehow give up in my mind and let him have fun in my control.

I mean, i wasnt correcting him every damn turn.

So what do you do in a situation like that.

Im damn patient, but this time, i was exhausted. Went to bed at 8:00 pm on both nights lol

Last edited by 987part; 05-24-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:18 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Kinda unreadable post
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 AM
ruth
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but what does being 60 yo have to do with this?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would throw it out there that you might have failed him as an instructor. People don't learn the same way. The fact that you keeping saying the same thing over and over and didn't get the response you desired means you needed to adapt your teaching method to align with the students learning style. So students learn by listening, others by watching, others by doing, etc. You could have talked about a lap in the car in the paddock. You could have taken him for a ride in your car. Among other things. Your job is to figure out how to get the light bulb to turn on.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Seb, I think instructing is MUCH harder than driving, and I think students in DE's, no matter what their age but especially starting out, want very different things from their instructors.

While it is your job to provide them with information and your own calibrated butt to keep them as safe as you can (you can't REALLY keep them safe, because they're going to do what they're going to do), most drivers, especially new ones, have difficulty understanding and applying even the basics.

So, the answer is to talk to them for a few minutes before you go out. Ask them what they're looking for, how much they want you to talk, and if they don't know, break it down into SMALLER goals, like hitting (coming close to) EVERY inside curbing. Keep it simple, THEN add.

I think your knowledge and approach is actually better suited for intermediate and advanced drivers looking for good input because you're already functioning at that high level yourself. Coordinate with the CI to get assigned to higher level students.

Almost everyone I work with is high 40's to low 80's, and I have not found age to be a barrier to learning, potential for improvement or an open approach to learning. Maybe it's the "professional" thing, but I have no problem with people paying 110% attention to me!

Don't get frustrated. You're very good!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What was his goal for the weekend? To drive perfect line at limit?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYC993
What was his goal for the weekend? To drive perfect line at limit?
You can't know what you don't know...

Last edited by ProCoach; 05-25-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He needs to get right imprint of proper line and concept of using all the track from the very beginning. I would have tried to guide him turn by turn even if I need to ask if I could guide his hand to show him so he understood. Can't be early apexing & pinching turns to start. Be stronger from the right seat. Doesn't sound like his fun was in your control. As speeds increase so does the effect of doing things wrong. He needed to feel it correctly once or twice to get it.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

First timers are sometimes so overwhelmed that they have no bandwith left for communication. If you can't get through with words then you need to try something else. If the guy was cautious enough to be safe, then letting him explore a little on his own can be good. Let him find a corner he likes and start there.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
He needs to get right imprint of proper line and concept of using all the track from the very beginning. I would have tried to guide him turn by turn even if I need to ask if I could guide his hand to show him so he understood. Can't be early apexing & pinching turns to start. Be stronger from the right seat. Doesn't sound like his fun was in your control. As speeds increase so does the effect of doing things wrong. He needed to feel it correctly once or twice to get it.
You HAVE to zoom OUT before you can zoom back in...

First, the concept of using all the road is foreign to those that have driven in one lane all their lives.

Second, that concept has to be laid as a foundation first, THEN learning the ORDER and SEVERITY of the turns next, if only for safety's sake.

If you begin with proper turn-in, apex and track out detail and landmarks for each corner first, more than a few novices will get overwhelmed very quickly... just sayin'
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbelles
First timers are sometimes so overwhelmed that they have no bandwith left for communication. If you can't get through with words then you need to try something else. If the guy was cautious enough to be safe, then letting him explore a little on his own can be good. Let him find a corner he likes and start there.
Good plan!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You can't know what you can't know...
True, but you can take a good guess. My first time on the track (T-bolt) I barely knew what turn was coming up ...forget the line. So we focused on fundamentals, be smooth and look ahead the rest just kinda started coming together.

Also learning something new and so complex at 60 (don't mean as offense to older guys and girls...it's harder at 30 than at 3 as well) must be really tough ... kudos to the guy getting out to the track.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 AM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had people get so excited about driving that they seem to narrow their learning receptors and get into some sort of euphoric tunnel vision. When this happens it's a good idea to start speaking in metaphors that they can relate to; because the idea of driving from one cone to the next is clearly lost on them.
"Do you golf, ski, play chess etc?" And then pull a relative comparison from there.
Bottom line is to keep them safe and have fun. You clearly did that.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by will968
I've had people get so excited about driving that they seem to narrow their learning receptors and get into some sort of euphoric tunnel vision. When this happens it's a good idea to start speaking in metaphors that they can relate to; because the idea of driving from one cone to the next is clearly lost on them.
"Do you golf, ski, play chess etc?" And then pull a relative comparison from there.
Bottom line is to keep them safe and have fun. You clearly did that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Student/instructor trouble