Sponsored by:

Brake fluid concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:13 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if the fluid came from a sealed container, and you trust the "yes it did" answer your shop gives you ...... it should be no problem for a DE.. it's not like wine that goes bad after 100 years. its brake fluid. as long as the container wasn't opened for 8 years......and for a DE .. should be no problem.
What a voice of reason and we aren't going to die.

Peter
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
dunlopnick
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would guess the shop had a brake fluid description put into their invoice system and thats why its on your receipt. I'd ask the question though
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by turbochad
I don't believe GS610 has been manufactured for over 8 years. Last time it was produced the investors dumped the business partner and took back significant inventory. They have been selling in small amounts ever since. We had some tested three years ago and the boiling point was significantly lower than specification, like really bad. The bottom line is that brake fluid goes bad in sealed packaging. You need to buy it fresh.
i wonder how this is possible in a sealed container. the fluid needs to be exposed to air to really degrade. certainly worth a question to the shop to find out what they reallly put in. i do think that many fluids if checked on any given sunday will perform well below specs. people make too much of a religion of fluids when it comes to DE. anything that is clean, hasnt been stored in an open container is going to be just fine.
but, if you paid for the good stuff...certainly worth a complaint and a re-fill

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
no, you are not going to die. worst case, you might get a spongy pedal!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
No ****... Brake fluid isn't a magical elixir, if it is sealed it can not absorb much moisture and it's age in the sealed bottle (within reason, i.e. a year or less) is not an issue. Personally I think anything but Castrol SRF is a death sentence at a DE, but I tend to exaggerate..

Last edited by Gary R.; 05-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottles absorb moisture. In the Phamaceutical Industry you perform Moisture Permeation testing on the container/closure system. Or they did not control the manufacturing/filling operation. I would stick to a brand that has proven history.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's not so much that the bottle absorbs moisture as much as it is that the bottle is permeable to moisture. Moisture permeability isn't unique to the pharm industry, which I suspect also tests for oxygen permeability. Even beer makers do container and cap testings. Picking the right container with or without a barrier isn't rocket science. I would think any company selling brake fluid would be cognizant of that. Now I have to go out to the shop and look at brake fluid bottles...
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

According to Motul, unopened brake fluid does have a shelf life - either 2 or 3 years, IIRC. They recommend storage in lower humidity areas i.e. in the heated basement rather than the garage. I also store the unopened bottles in ziplock bags, and understand I have a healthy paranoia.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
I think it's not so much that the bottle absorbs moisture as much as it is that the bottle is permeable to moisture. Moisture permeability isn't unique to the pharm industry, which I suspect also tests for oxygen permeability. Even beer makers do container and cap testings. Picking the right container with or without a barrier isn't rocket science. I would think any company selling brake fluid would be cognizant of that. Now I have to go out to the shop and look at brake fluid bottles...
What he said

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
According to Motul, unopened brake fluid does have a shelf life - either 2 or 3 years, IIRC. They recommend storage in lower humidity areas i.e. in the heated basement rather than the garage. I also store the unopened bottles in ziplock bags, and understand I have a healthy paranoia.
I have been party to test data showing the effect of time on the performance of brake fluid. The tests clearly show that brake fluid in sealed containers absorbs moisture and degrade in performance in a linear fashion over time. All the fluid companies know this.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

What he said

I have been party to test data showing the effect of time on the performance of brake fluid. The tests clearly show that brake fluid in sealed containers absorbs moisture and degrade in performance in a linear fashion over time. All the fluid companies know this.
if you were "party " to the data showing the effects of time on brake fluid "performance" and the test's data was "clear"...........
what did your "tests" find?
"linear fashion" meaning, if it lost 10% the first year, it would be 10% every year after that?
are you talking boiling point? wet/dry ? compresibility?
did you test both metal and plastic bottles? (KEY POINT)

Again, we are talking DE here. we are not talking a GRAND AM enduro race.
stock fluids are a little week and are not recommended for the track. but brake fluid kept in its container for a few years is not going to be a problem, if unopened..........just as fluid in your system exposed to heat, air, condensation, etc, isnt a problem for a few years either.

think about it... you buy a GT3 cup car from 2015 that right from the factory. would you worry about changing the brake fluid.. heck that has been open bottle for 3 years! how about a brand new GT3.. might be up to 1 year old.. that fluid has been basically in an open container with the lid off!

you guys are getting a little mental over all this. like the Nitrogen for DE discussion.

key point though, is if you are talking steel container, vs plastic. steel, unopened will not absorb any moisture. (other than what it was sealed with)
Many brands like Stoptech, even since SuperBlue, come in metal containers. you cant compare the two.............or did you do tests with both???
Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 AM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if you were "party " to the data showing the effects of time on brake fluid "performance" and the test's data was "clear"...........
what did your "tests" find?
"linear fashion" meaning, if it lost 10% the first year, it would be 10% every year after that?
are you talking boiling point? wet/dry ? compresibility?
did you test both metal and plastic bottles? (KEY POINT)

Again, we are talking DE here. we are not talking a GRAND AM enduro race.
stock fluids are a little week and are not recommended for the track. but brake fluid kept in its container for a few years is not going to be a problem, if unopened..........just as fluid in your system exposed to heat, air, condensation, etc, isnt a problem for a few years either.

think about it... you buy a GT3 cup car from 2015 that right from the factory. would you worry about changing the brake fluid.. heck that has been open bottle for 3 years! how about a brand new GT3.. might be up to 1 year old.. that fluid has been basically in an open container with the lid off!

you guys are getting a little mental over all this. like the Nitrogen for DE discussion.

key point though, is if you are talking steel container, vs plastic. steel, unopened will not absorb any moisture. (other than what it was sealed with)
Many brands like Stoptech, even since SuperBlue, come in metal containers. you cant compare the two.............or did you do tests with both???
GS610 originaly came in metal containers. It didn't make any difference to whether or not it took on moisture in the sealed container. It happens in both metal and plastic containers.

For this inquiry it is not worth digging up the test data from three years ago. I recall it being surprisingly bad. Dry boiling and also alkalinity changes. Wet is wet.

8 year old brake fluid in a sealed container is nothing more than hazardous waste. It should not be in a tracked car. Nobody is mental over it, the original poster asked if GS610 could still be in production or good if old. The answer is simple, No.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:39 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the same fluid in an existing fresh product you can get prospeed RS683 or Torque RT770. Same product but currently produced. Prospeed RS683 is the better priced option.
I am not positive, but I believe that any RS683 would be old stock from previous company. We sold GS610 and RS683 in the past. When the GS610 company went away there was somewhere between 20K-40K bottles available is what we were told. Any that is available would have to have been produced prior to 2010. And the last order we placed in Dec 2016 for RT700 was never shipped after being told and being sent a picture of the shipment being unloaded. Had to do a charge back on the CC.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark will buy your fluid. that will solve the problem/ Endless RF 650 or SRF my choice

Quick Reply: Brake fluid concern