Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting after a long straight... which way is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:27 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Please remember that HP = mass x velocity x acceleration.
When I read this all I could think of was this...
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I like it
Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I understand from college physics, as long as torque is rising, so is acceleration. Once you pass the peak of the torque curve, acceleration slows down. You are still speeding up as you approach redline, but less so.

If downshifting puts you in a better place on the torque curve, you would accelerate faster...

Hypothetically...
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

That is awesome!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think it's a matter of personal preference, as there are other pros who skip gears. But I go up and down through each gear. Going down I blip and release the clutch each time. I downshift at the latter half of the brake zone. And...in a slower shifting car like a 930, what's the rush? Take your time.
What I do and what I find works well for most people.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

There's an awesome Leh Keen video where he is rowing through all the gears like superman.

I prefer 4-3-2 but will got 4-2 if it matters in a race!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Hmm. My foot-cam paid off, as I didn't really know, but I blip for each shift but I don't release the clutch in between. Here is coming into T11 and T12 at COTA last year:

Rowing down the gears at COTA

Since I'm the financier, driver, crew chief, head mechanic, gofer, and bottlewasher for my race team, I have a lot of mechanical empathy I don't speed shift or mash anything.

-Mike
You might want to consider, leting out the clutch this is the way you spin up the lay shaft for the final shift, if you dont pay the bills and can get away with it, and dont need the stability of the rear wheel forces, then skip a gear.. not recommended and not the best practice in most cases. ive done it before, but its in extreme cases. (conditional.. like a wreck in front of me.... slowed to the point with only brakes where the RPM was low and i was two gears from being optimal RPM. skipped and no problem or undue forces... thats usually a rare occurance)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I don't see the need to blip between shifts if clutch is in. You only need to blip before releasing clutch to match engine speed and transmission speed.

I think to save synchros though you want to do downshifts as the speed allows. I find that rowing just naturally kinda gets you there.

To OP - on upshifts, do you have your thumb pointed down or up when you grab shifter? I started doing 3-4 upshifts with thumb pointed down and it seems to help protect against 3-2 shift.

I'll take a slight nibble at your comment of shortshifting at max torque vs max hp. Please remember that HP = mass x velocity x acceleration. Max acceleration therefore occurs at the point that maximizes hp under the curve given that velocity is the same for both gears at the point of the upshift. If your car is making increasing hp to redline, the optimal shift point is at redline, not necessarily at max torque.
yes, right on about power zones and acceleration maximization. still i cant believe folks havent picked up on this. you always want to shift at redline, if you care about maximizing performance. max torque is a non factor in the equastion..... maximizing HP over any operating range is key. only freak cars like to be shifted before redline for better acceleration..... they are very rare.

Originally Posted by TXE36
The weird thing is I thought I was releasing the clutch in between. With the clutch in, the only blip that mattered was the last.

You going to TWS tomorrow?

-Mike
/

no, when the clutch is depressed, all you do is disconnect the engine from the driveline. the transmission and gears, shafts, etc are all spinning relative to the speed of the wheels and gear you are in. you want to match layshaft speeds, the clutch has to be out, iparting the right RPM to the driveline to match the next gear RPM requirements... thats why were were talking about "dipping " the clutch so much before. it gives enough separation to get the car out of gear, use the blip as you pass through neutral and spin up the driveline and also allow for any speed differences then to be handled by the synchros, which will be less. skipping a gear might put 3-5x (estimated) the forces on the synchros if the clutch isnt dippped or let out for each gear change.

Originally Posted by bpu699
I'm probably overthinking it...

I get 4 bar of oil pressure when warm, max. That's 60psi or so...

I had heard the old rule of thumb of 10 psi per 1000, so figured 6000rpm was a safe place to be...

As an aside, I have been in other folks older 911's... that seems to be about what they all show at under hot use. I almost never see 5 bar in my car or anyone elses when hot...

Overthinking it?
what are you concerned with oil pressure for? i missed something
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Haha!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I signed up for Saturday only.
Me too, see you there.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:31 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
There's an awesome Leh Keen video where he is rowing through all the gears like superman.

I prefer 4-3-2 but will got 4-2 if it matters in a race!
This video of Leh Keen at Sebring is pretty wild and he does a beautiful 6-5-4-3-2-1 approaching T7.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:39 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Whatever works best for you in any particular situation is what you should do......
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Whatever works best for you in any particular situation is what you should do......
If i coached like that, there would be no improvement, well , not for a very long time. The reason there is the question, is to ask those with experience to help them shorten the learning curve. (and save themselves premature repair jobs)
you have good experience with your car, and a couple of rare turns where you skip a downshift. for you that is working and it might work for others if they have the same conditions. generally, there is a little misunderstanding of the gear box and how it works, as been admitted already by some here. the discussion helps to understand what might work best for anyone in any particular situation.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
If i coached like that, there would be no improvement, well , not for a very long time. The reason there is the question, is to ask those with experience to help them shorten the learning curve. (and save themselves premature repair jobs)
you have good experience with your car, and a couple of rare turns where you skip a downshift. for you that is working and it might work for others if they have the same conditions. generally, there is a little misunderstanding of the gear box and how it works, as been admitted already by some here. the discussion helps to understand what might work best for anyone in any particular situation.
Whatever.......you waste bits.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Lol!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Agreed. This is SO much more important, big picture...

Quick Reply: Downshifting after a long straight... which way is best?