Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I suspect most newer track drivers have no idea when nannies engage and what they do for them. The more transparent the nannies the more likely this is to be true. Also, unless the instructor is eyeing the dash constantly, he is not likely to know when nannies kick in.
True; often the student isn't aware it's flashing and can't feel the effect on the car (a tribute to the sophistication of the newer systems).
I even find it hard sometime to see it from the right seat. If I can, and it's appropriate for the student, I'll tell them when it flashes.
It's a shame we often use the term 'nanny', which implies much more negativity than it deserves.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

No, I did not miss the point. What I did was point out the fallacies in the arguments.
Actually, you didn't.

The point was and is what do we as instructors tell drivers regarding these systems (not only from a learning curve perspective but also from a safety and personal liability perspective as well)...not what is best for you and me when WE drive on track...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 917 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Actually, you didn't.

The point was and is what do we as instructors tell drivers regarding these systems (not only from a learning curve perspective but also from a safety and personal liability perspective as well)...not what is best for you and me when WE drive on track...
Actually, I did.....

You are arguing a different point.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

No, I am arguing the premise for this thread. Which is the point. Geez.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Actually, I did.....

You are arguing a different point.
Yeah there are really several branches being discussed in this topic. The "I track with nannies so that I know what to expect on the street" branch didn't connect with me as the street and track are very different to me. On the street I rarely get above 4K, don't heel toe, use cruise control frequently and always leave TC on. On the track, it's completely different.

But to the original question that kicked off this thread, I think nannies on to start with is probably safest and depending on the car and the drivers track objectives, they may stay on forever.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My take on this: I don't want to be in the right seat without nannies when my student suddenly runs out of talent.

I agree, I hate the word "nannies"
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those of us who learned to drive with no aids & saw things like power steering, ABS, and the progression of electronics introduced over each generation of car is completely different than today's drivers. As Coaches we know this. New Instructors often don't. New drivers, new cars. Leave them on.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

For what it's worth, our chapter has started really pushing skid pad time for advancement thru the run groups. Low risk opportunity to turn the nannies off.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Another train of thought... Cirrus builds the SR GA aircraft with a parachute system just in case. It has already saved hundreds of lives and I am pretty sure nannies on the track have as well.

If you were a flight instructor would you force someone to disable the parachute so they can learn the ramifications of pilot error or would you quite possibly want to have that parachute there but teach them not to fly themselves into a situation where they need it? Would you force them to learn an engine out landing if they have an unforced engine shutdown on their 2nd lesson or be happy to pull the chute and discuss procedure on the ground in one piece instead of 22?
Apples and oranges. The chute does not affect the flight characteristics of the plane
Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I drive with the nannies on in my GT4.
it allows plenty of leeway and based on what I have heard from others you need to be at the Porsche factory driver level or close to squeeze that last .1s out of the car that the nannies don't allow you to get.
so with performance out of the picture the nannie is a very efficient insurance policy (and yes I used it once in the wet to prevent a sure write off; lesson learned....)

having said that, you I still don't use them as a cure all safety blanket. I try to deal with nannies by evaluating myself in every corner.

not just nanny intervention, but abs for just 5 clicks, front or back sliding minimally without nanny kicking in yet etc.

for all of these its important to understand what caused it to happen and whether you wanted it to happen...

doing this will finetune your butt dynamo as you will continue to look for smaller and smaller missteps.
The big one is usually preceded by many smaller ones, not only in this corner but in previous laps in this corner and in other corners
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
For what it's worth, our chapter has started really pushing skid pad time for advancement thru the run groups. Low risk opportunity to turn the nannies off.
That is an interesting idea!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find most new drivers in newer cars don't really show much interest in turning them off, and if they ask me I'll just say let's go ahead and leave it on for now. There is plenty to learn when some one is brand new to the track.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Those of us who learned to drive with no aids & saw things like power steering, ABS, and the progression of electronics introduced over each generation of car is completely different than today's drivers. As Coaches we know this. New Instructors often don't. New drivers, new cars. Leave them on.
I agree... as a note... I always leave the nannies on for new drivers and hot cars. (just safter for me and the driver) the reason, the main goal in the beginning is much different than pushing the car to and over the edge and learning how to deal with those characteristics. Then later, ill have them turn the nannies off and back their aggression way off to test the effects and differences. later , if they want, while driving alone and if i think they are ready, ill suggest turning them off.
I think its pretty dependent on a lot of factors.
IMPO
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
It's a shame we often use the term 'nanny', which implies much more negativity than it deserves.
agreed, they are more like black box magic.
i'm blown away, literally, by neophyte drivers in 991 GT3s as their cars dance through the corners in attitudes that initially make me cringe.

good on the SW developers!

I always ask my student to leave the SW aids ON for the first few sessions as we feel each other out.

Craig
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,478 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Smart.

Skid pad is invaluable and not enough people do it. Hell, I have not spent enough time on the skidpad but at least I have done some.

Quick Reply: Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in