Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Watkins Glen Club Race - Race 2. Finished P2 in Class but this was another difficult one with an internal belt failure in my front left tire around Lap 9. It was a massive struggle to the finish from then on (again!) and I had to manage traffic very carefully! Many thanks to the Bodymotion Crew for the great support and to my coach Robert Slonaker for his sage advice and being in my ear for the 30 minutes.

We’re going to plan this setup and tire stuff very differently for next year! For sub 2:02 times, my data showed 1200 lbs of total load in T1, T2, T5 and T7 on the left front tire. In T2 that coincided with 1.98g’s of lateral acceleration.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:54 AM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Rennlisters,

Just need to key up (explain) my confusion at the start of the race one where I jumped a few of you at the start. I knew about the "Gentlemans agreement" where we were going to stay packed tight until the bridge. My crew guy talked to a Scrut just before the start. The scrut told him when it goes Green it's green for all so, my guy called Green to me. When he did I started to move as the flagger in 10 pulled the yellow. I wondered why no one else made a move. Then I saw the flagger in 11 still holding up a yellow. I then held back and waited. Sorry to all I jumped.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing

I had a 2:10.6 going on another lap by not bouncing off the rev limiter so much and getting to power sooner.. but I blew it in T9. Ugh!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMy9l9sicnM
How did you blow T9, I don't see it?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
How did you blow T9, I don't see it?
Here's the frustrating clip and was mistaken.. it was T8. If you compared the times on the brake marker in T8 you can see there was another 0.5 secs less than the record lap... before I was an idiot.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My weekend was a mixed bag.

Hunt gotta say it's about time but woulda been faster if his head were smaller probably woulda been closer to weight

I'm not driving as well as i should.....blame it on shaking off the roll overs, coming to grips with the new car, or i just suck and am a washed up old hack........
was fairly frustrating looking a the 1 video i did get......I can see my errors Clearly.....driving to the old grip level, wrong gear in places...UGH...just ugh

Traffic also Killed me...from my bad choices to people not looking

Was spun in t1 first lap by a chop at practice 3 and messed up yet another bumper in a drainage ditch...... but qualified well driving angry in traffic

So kept getting faster till the sprints......first sprint had a decent start then lost it to traffic shortly after....clarke was chasing martinson as best he could ....had a good battle with niels in his dad's car that was way down on power but seemed hooked up in the corners....or I parked in the corners not sure A combo of both.....and Heptig kept showing up.....speaks well to those guys first time at the glen

Second sprint

Started driving a little better and picked up the speed in the corners, hit traffic soon after and dropped 5th place.....got 4th back and was catching 3rd then while downshifting for the bus stop found myself locked outta gears.....coasted to NASCAR straight and was towed in....sucked...

Then came scruutineering.....bore scope and accusations of ported heads....removed said heads and were told they are LEGAL and all looked perfect inside......many other E cars were not so fortunate and many DQ'd.

Packed her up for the night and that was that

Was a great weekend but wish I drove better.....what can you do...less brake more gas...damn data doesn't lie
Old 06-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Evan: just like we did in the past, let's spend a day getting your driving back to where it belongs...
Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Here's the frustrating clip and was mistaken.. it was T8. If you compared the times on the brake marker in T8 you can see there was another 0.5 secs less than the record lap... before I was an idiot.

https://youtu.be/183YTjx-3Bs
That's better, now I see what you're talking about. Also, it's easy to see why you did that: your track map is showing the short NASCAR course, that's what threw you!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Evan: just like we did in the past, let's spend a day getting your driving back to where it belongs...
Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag
???
Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'd like to also, Dave, but I think I'd need more than a day at this point!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Frank, you know it would be my pleasure!
Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Then came scruutineering.....bore scope and accusations of ported heads....removed said heads and were told they are LEGAL and all looked perfect inside......many other E cars were not so fortunate and many DQ'd.
Did people really have to remove their heads?!? Sounds like SCCA runoffs.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Enduro Race. Strategy was to start in the wet with rain tires and then stop as soon as my fuel window opened (I needed to pack 7 gal of fuel to finish the race) and switch to slicks. After taking the lead at the start into Turn 1, I was able to run a good gap but got passed later by Harold Petit later on who took the lead.

In drying conditions, I dialed back my pace in order to not destroy my rain tires prematurely and was one of the first ones to pit. The Bodymotion team had me back in the car after fueling and a tire change in less than 2:30 minutes – wow! It took me 3 laps to get reasonable temperatures into the slicks in damp conditions and I moved back up to P1 position. Unfortunately, my front left tire failed in Lap 27 in T1 with 25 min to go. I thought I could nurse the car back to the pits but didn’t make it past T9 – bummer!

Many thanks to the Bodymotion Crew for the great support, to my coach Robert Slonaker for his sage advice. We will be back next year with a different tire strategy.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like it was a pretty epic weekend. Very stout times. No worries Evan, you'll get back at the front in no time!

Originally Posted by Der ABT
My weekend was a mixed bag.

Hunt gotta say it's about time but woulda been faster if his head were smaller probably woulda been closer to weight

I'm not driving as well as i should.....blame it on shaking off the roll overs, coming to grips with the new car, or i just suck and am a washed up old hack........
was fairly frustrating looking a the 1 video i did get......I can see my errors Clearly.....driving to the old grip level, wrong gear in places...UGH...just ugh

Traffic also Killed me...from my bad choices to people not looking

Was spun in t1 first lap by a chop at practice 3 and messed up yet another bumper in a drainage ditch...... but qualified well driving angry in traffic

So kept getting faster till the sprints......first sprint had a decent start then lost it to traffic shortly after....clarke was chasing martinson as best he could ....had a good battle with niels in his dad's car that was way down on power but seemed hooked up in the corners....or I parked in the corners not sure A combo of both.....and Heptig kept showing up.....speaks well to those guys first time at the glen

Second sprint

Started driving a little better and picked up the speed in the corners, hit traffic soon after and dropped 5th place.....got 4th back and was catching 3rd then while downshifting for the bus stop found myself locked outta gears.....coasted to NASCAR straight and was towed in....sucked...

Packed her up for the night and that was that

Was a great weekend but wish I drove better.....what can you do...less brake more gas...damn data doesn't lie
Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

Great racing everyone! Speaking of scrutineering, are turbo tie rods allowed in E class stock?

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Club Race