Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Green Sprint 2 from the start to just past the restart.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
Green Sprint 2 from the start to just past the restart.
https://vimeo.com/220245822
Nice driving Rob, you guys are killing it in SP3. I remember when a 2:10 was blazing.

Cool to see Dan's old Mobil 1 944 still in action.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Sprint 2

Sprint 1

Fast Lap - unfortunately the record was reset. Really reset. 11.2 set by Drake! More work to do for me.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968

Cool to see Dan's old Mobil 1 944 still in action.
just saw the old girl....... wish I was out there too!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I thought the "quasi split" was insane. We went around like an accordion, and then I watched Bill Rudner jump the start before T10 (my guess is he got a "Green Green" radio call but who knows). Why did they not simply throw two greens? That was the dumbest idea I have ever seen, leaving it up to the leaders to hit the gas at the Bridge for a start?? NOT a fan, hope it never occurs again..
+1
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Agreed. I was first asked if I wold support a split start and going to the Stewards to make it happen. Of course I would. That was the last I had heard about it and had thought it was dead when at the drivers meeting they said there would be no split start. We get to grid for race one and I find us all gridded at the back, which isnt what I (and am sure others) where expecting given we where told no at the drivers meeting. Then I am approached and told 'we are going rogue and doing our own split start'. At that point

I just didn't like it from a safety perspective because it wasn't an official split start and there was a lack of flags as a result. I hope we never try that again.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I have yet to hear any legitimate excuse for not giving us an official split start. Particularly when there are nearly 40 of us on the grid. Heaven forbid we get a reason beyond "because we said so."

I've been in NASA races with THREE splits in a single start and one of those was a standing start. If NASA can handle it . . . .
Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Rogue and Safety are two words that don't usually go together.

Regardless of the reason for asking and being told No Split Start
A rogue start after the stewards had expressly said "NO" - never mind flaggers, crews and some drivers not knowing is just a recipe for very bad things.

I was on start/finish and I certainly didn't know. More important, not every SPB drivers knew. Two SPB's went into the grass to avoid ramming someone.

Originally Posted by mmuller
Agreed. I was first asked if I wold support a split start and going to the Stewards to make it happen. Of course I would. That was the last I had heard about it and had thought it was dead when at the drivers meeting they said there would be no split start. We get to grid for race one and I find us all gridded at the back, which isnt what I (and am sure others) where expecting given we where told no at the drivers meeting. Then I am approached and told 'we are going rogue and doing our own split start'. At that point

I just didn't like it from a safety perspective because it wasn't an official split start and there was a lack of flags as a result. I hope we never try that again.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Well I wouldn't call it "rogue" since the stewards and T&S gridded us up for the "separated" start.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212

I was on start/finish and I certainly didn't know. More important, not every SPB drivers knew. Two SPB's went into the grass to avoid ramming someone.
I didn't know till I got to grid, so no chance you knew either. I don't make it a habit of getting out of the car and walking around on grid, and with my current back and shoulder issue's want to do it even less so. I was informed when those who organized came back to my car with 5 to go before going out and was told all SPB drivers had been informed and agreed. I re-iterated I wasn't that comfortable with it and that the moment I saw a car move in my mirror I was gone.

Hunt is correct in that timing and scoring had a part to play in it by griding us all at the back. So someone on the steward side had some kind of idea of what was going on.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

can you guys explain what went on, what is a rogue split start?
From the sound of it, I'm not sorry I missed it.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Oh for the love! It was not rogue! Since pca apparently didn't want to throw a second green the idea was hatched for the front row to, by gentleman's agreement, maintain 35 mph and consider the bridge the green flag.

Pretty simple

Nobody died.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Oh for the love! It was not rogue! Since pca apparently didn't want to throw a second green the idea was hatched for the front row to, by gentleman's agreement, maintain 35 mph and consider the bridge the green flag.

Pretty simple

Nobody died.
Yes, Timing and Scoring produced the grid list so that we could line up for a split start so it certainly wasn't rogue.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dan R

We miss you in the Hairy Dog tent! Still laugh about the trip to Atlanta with you and Fred!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 349 Likes on 153 Posts

We had a blast learning a new track and enjoying the cooler weather in NY! Was very happy to get down to 2:12.4 in the fun race on almost corded tires, not sure if you other spec boxster drivers noticed but after putting on new(er) tires we lost about a second.

We had a steering rack issue on the pace lap of sprint two so we were forced to come in (we are grateful this happened behind the pace car and not at race pace!!). It was fun to watch the race, definitely some carnage in sprint race two, I hope we get split starts for spec boxster in the future because I feel it would make things much safer for everyone.

Cant wait for next year! And VIR in a few weeks

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Club Race