Sponsored by:

Ear / noise protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just turn my hearing aids off LOL

BTW, active noise canceling just reduces the effective sound you hear, not the actual sound pressure level
it is also somewhat frequency specific. It works by generating an out of phase signal at the same frequency as the noise it picks up
(simplified explanation)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used a variety of them. I like the custom fit of the Radians but the comfort of the NoNoise ear plugs. Both work great and use both, depending on what I'm doing (karting, motorcycling, track driving, etc).
Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

FYI Stillo helmets have earcups that can be either radio or earmuffs. I got the muffs and they don't work IMO. I still use ear plugs.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

I had just decided to get some over-ear inserts for my helmet, to be able to take future coms, but also to cut down the noise a bit. Looks like they didn't do much ^^^ for one user. Can anyone else comment on them?

Foam ear plugs were a bit too much for me, but passing WOT SPBs hurts!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:19 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Wearing proper hearing protection is a bit disconcerting at first. You will get used to it

There is a big gap between what you think is only loud and what causes pain: that gap is still enough to cause permanent damage. Check OSHA stats.

https://www.creighton.edu/fileadmin/...protection.pdf

The SPB's are loud. Wait till someone goes by with open pipes.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a matter of habit.

You can also concentrate a lot better when you have less noise hammering your brain.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:35 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Have the muffled helmet. Inside helmet looks like ear muffs. When put on helmet I cannot understand anything anyone says to me. This thing works amazingly. Cannot heat car at idle. When I race I use radio ear plugs and don't have to turn it all the way up to hear spotter.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
FYI Stillo helmets have earcups that can be either radio or earmuffs. I got the muffs and they don't work IMO. I still use ear plugs.
Originally Posted by GT3DE
Have the muffled helmet. Inside helmet looks like ear muffs. When put on helmet I cannot understand anything anyone says to me. This thing works amazingly. Cannot heat car at idle. When I race I use radio ear plugs and don't have to turn it all the way up to hear spotter.
One of my friends uses a helmet that supports the ear cups, his experience seems to be more like Clarke's. However, my helmet does not support ear cups.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx everyone for your inputs! The couple of the custom/molded solutions claim only 25-26dB NRR. Dan's MAX-1 claim 33dB NRR. I had to get some for early next week so before I started this thread I ordered these Hearos for $8.60 with Amazon Prime that also claim 33dB NRR:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJSY162

Will report how they work.
They work great and are so comfy that I often left them in my ears even when not driving. LRP paddocks can be loud on unmuffled days/races. Recommended.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Like these guys

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...er20xs-ms.html
Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 PM
redracer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used custom ear plugs and I have ear cups in my helmet. When using both, sound is pretty much muffled out but like Clarke, I can't hear anyone trying to talk to me.

When racing, I have custom ear buds and I don't have to turn the volume on my radio up.

True about using spit or water--even sweat that comes from racing can lead to an inner ear infection. There's a "lubricant" made specially for this type of application. It came with my last set of ear plugs.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 PM
redracer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarke, what make/model helmet do you have (with the ear cups)? I need a new 2015 helmet and was considering the Stilo model with ear cups.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I just used my Roux helmet with ear cups for the first time this past weekend. The sound was great.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
My experience with a Stilo helmet is different. When I used a Bell helmet I needed to use the squishy ear plugs. With a Stilo my hearing is protected.

It might have to do with proper fitment?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM
mkaunitz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who has hearing loss from high volume music I can tell you that you want to protect your ears before there is an issue.

Go with custom molded there are a bunch of options out there. Mine block 25db but I can still hear engine and tire noise without issue. It does take a little getting used to as you retune your mind for the quieter environment but it will actually improve your ability to focus. Numerous studies bear this out

The other added bonus for me is that when I instruct I can have the communicator volume at reasonable levels which was never the case when using the regular ear pieces

Quick Reply: Ear / noise protection