Sponsored by:

Ear / noise protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Default Ear / noise protection

Cursory search didn't find anything on this topic so here it goes...
What's the latest on ear protection from noise while driving an unmuffled event or a race? (Custom) ear plugs? Ear-muffed helmets? Active noise cancellation? What does everyone here use?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice to see someone thinking about hearing damage. People don't realize how low the threshold is for permanent hearing damage. My own car is very loud. Never mind me, anyone I pass will hurt.

I've tried a variety of ear plugs. Not all the same.

I recommend
Howard Leight Howard Leight
MAX-1 Uncorded NR33 ear plugs. $22 for 200 reusable pairs. I hand them out to people like candy. These are industrial level ear plugs and better than what you will find at most race shops.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Disposable-MAX-1/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486997050&sr=8-1&keywords=Howard+Leight+by+Honeywell+MAX+Disposable+Foam+Earplugs%2C+200-Pairs+%28MAX-1%29 https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Disposable-MAX-1/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486997050&sr=8-1&keywords=Howard+Leight+by+Honeywell+MAX+Disposable+Foam+Earplugs%2C+200-Pairs+%28MAX-1%29

Don't get the corded ones. Its too easy for the cord to get snagged by your Hans or harness. Very important to wet them before putting in to get a proper seal.

I use custom molded ear buds for radio. So good I wear them even if radio is off. (I wet those too) But if you don't need Comms, the Howard Leight plugs are the best.

Last edited by dan212; 04-12-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the squishy foam ones made by Macks from CVS
32 dbs. Work better than expected, drowns out my engine noise and I can even use them w my communicator and still hear clearly.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

I have some generic rubber ones I bought years ago. They seem to be more effective than foam ones. My car is loud as sh*t from the cockpit even with mufflers on so I always use my ear plugs when on track. And I like being able to hear

There was a thread on this over on the Pelican forum recently. More focused on spectator hearing protection (or for drivers when not on track). I should probably be more careful in that respect.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought a set of Decibullz and am happy with them so far. They come in a block and you place them in boiling water and then mold them to your own ear. Only $25 or so via Amazon
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Nice to see someone thinking about hearing damage. People don't realize how low the threshold is for permanent hearing damage. My own car is very loud. Never mind me, anyone I pass will hurt.

I recommend Howard Leight MAX-1 Uncorded NR33 ear plugs. $22 for 200 reusable pairs. I hand them out to people like candy. These are industrial level ear plugs and better than what you will find at most race shops.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...rs+%28MAX-1%29

Don't get the corded ones. Its too easy for the cord to get snagged by your Hans or harness. Very important to wet them before putting in to get a proper seal.

I use custom molded ear buds for radio. So good I wear them even if radio is off. (I wet those too) But if you don't need Comms, the Howard Leight plugs are the best.
When you say "wet", beware of what you wet them with (for instance spit). Infections in the ear are common from this technique I'm told by my Industrial Hygienist. A good technique to ensure a good fit is actually to roll the plug nice and tight between fingers, then reach over the top of your head with the opposite side hand, grab the top of your ear and pull it upwards towards the top of your head. This straightens the ear canal, allowing the rolled foamy earplug to get into the canal for a better seal.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:39 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I recommend Howard Leight MAX-1 Uncorded NR33 ear plugs. $22 for 200 reusable pairs. I hand them out to people like candy. These are industrial level ear plugs and better than what you will find at most race shops.

When you say "wet", beware of what you wet them with (for instance spit). Infections in the ear are common from this technique I'm told by my Industrial Hygienist. A good technique to ensure a good fit is actually to roll the plug nice and tight between fingers, then reach over the top of your head with the opposite side hand, grab the top of your ear and pull it upwards towards the top of your head. This straightens the ear canal, allowing the rolled foamy earplug to get into the canal for a better seal.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 PM
AceMktg
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My audiologist had me get custom molded ear plugs

I got them with 25dB reduction, but you can change the filters easily for more sound, less reduction. I tried my full molded custom ones, but they took away too much high frequency.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can make your own custom ones from a silicone epoxy kit for $10. You can even mold them around your earphones. You'll want to trim the outside back afterwards if you have a tight helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B003A28P4I https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B003A28P4I

Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Thx everyone for your inputs! The couple of the custom/molded solutions claim only 25-26dB NRR. Dan's MAX-1 claim 33dB NRR. I had to get some for early next week so before I started this thread I ordered these Hearos for $8.60 with Amazon Prime that also claim 33dB NRR:

Amazon Amazon

Will report how they work.

On a somewhat similar note and at the risk of hijacking my own thread, how important is to have a radio link with your crew during a race (sprint, enduro,...)? One way link (only crew can talk to you)? Two way radio? How many here use any at all? Any recommendations for good radios?

SPB noob here, starting at the Limerock race. No radio when racing with Skippy, though I saw a few racers using them with their coaches.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

+1

I used these when I raced bikes and when I shot Skeet. Inserted correctly, they reduce noise better than custom made ear plugs!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Radios are nice if you have a crew or spotter, or a coach. You don't have to have one for your first race, and lots of people win races without them. They are helpful in an enduro if you're sharing a pit spot, or to notify you of a local yellow which looks like it might become a full course yellow, so you can duck into the pits for your mandatory stop before the full course yellow. Or to call the green flag if you're not up front at the start. Talk to your shop, they may have a frequency or 2 that they use for their supported cars, and you'll want to program the same frequency. Otherwise you'll need a radio for your car and one for the crew both programmed to the same frequency.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx everyone for your inputs! The couple of the custom/molded solutions claim only 25-26dB NRR. Dan's MAX-1 claim 33dB NRR. I had to get some for early next week so before I started this thread I ordered these Hearos for $8.60 with Amazon Prime that also claim 33dB NRR:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJSY162

Will report how they work.

On a somewhat similar note and at the risk of hijacking my own thread, how important is to have a radio link with your crew during a race (sprint, enduro,...)? One way link (only crew can talk to you)? Two way radio? How many here use any at all? Any recommendations for good radios?

SPB noob here, starting at the Limerock race. No radio when racing with Skippy, though I saw a few racers using them with their coaches.
Radio - - -
If you are racing and have a crew or spotter the 2-way radio is almost an essential part of the equipment and routine. My son - the driver- has molded ear pieces under his helmet with the microphone attached to the helmet with a 25 watt in-car UHF radio. I use over the headset and 5 watt radio to spot and to know if he needs to come into the hot pits to check or fix something on the car. The molded ear pieces also work as noise reduction for the driver - - my headset provides me with noise reduction. We do mostly sprint races - but have done several team enduros where the radios are essential.

Good luck with your future racing . . . it is very addictive . . .

Regards,
Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the radio,

We have a group of us that all race together in the race. Competitors to one another too. It is great having everyone on the radio together. Like having 5 spotters right on the track with you. You get to hear the flags all the way around the track.

When we are mixed classes we let everyone know when, as a faster car, we are coming through.

We do have spotters at strategic points around the track too.

It has taken us years of coordination to get to the point where we are today and it is fantastic.

Radios are also great for enduro's for me. I get board and like to talk to someone.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

WHO NEEDS EAR PLUGS?

Quick Reply: Ear / noise protection