Brake Pads for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:28 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Brake Pads for HPDE

Hi Rennlisters,

I'm looking to do a few (possibly several) HPDE events this year w a 991.1 C4S. I'm thinking about doing a Motul 600 flush and swapping pads to something a bit more fade resistant.

Is there a consensus on what pads to run on 991 Carreras? Looks like PFC doesn't actually have a product for this car (and read about fitment issues w their GT3 pad), wondering if people mainly use Pagid rs, or another brand/model, or maybe the OEM pads? Admittedly, this car has much better stock brakes compared to some others that I've owned - but I'm assuming stock pads are stock pads so under stress they won't do so well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

There is no such thing as one solution with respect to pads, oil, etc... If you are just starting out, use stock pads as they are just fine. The work for the German Autobahn so .....
Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A good street-able track pad is EBC YellowStuff and they won't break the bank either

They are as dusty as stock pads, but have a much higher heat range. They bite well when cold and don't squeal.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
There is no such thing as one solution with respect to pads, oil, etc... If you are just starting out, use stock pads as they are just fine. The work for the German Autobahn so .....
Agree with Frank. I think it's best to use the stock pads if you're just starting. You may or may not experience brake fade with the stock pads as so many factors come into play like driving style, track, conditions, etc. I would use a high quality fluid, ATE, Motul, whatever... If you use the stock pads and you do experience some brake fade, I think it's not such a bad thing to know what that feels like. You can always upgrade later. One of the key lessons in an HPDE is learning to control a car , and if brakes are a limiting factor, then you need to learn how to drive to that limit. Just my $0.02.

THat said, if you are hell bent on upgrading to another pad, asking which one is like asking which oil... I like Hawk pads. HT-10's are a great all track-day pad and remain streetable.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:09 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 290 Posts

Yes, change the fluid and stay stock on pads to start--you'll know if they're up to the job. If you start to get fade and/or juddering/vibration, they're not!

Normally if you get a "long" brake pedal it's a fluid issue and if you get symptoms as described above it's pads. Motul 600 is good stuff--I use it

Gary
Old 04-07-2017, 11:02 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Hawk DTC-60 is probably a good start. Pagid RSL1 or RS29 should also work.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Another vote for upgrading the brake fluid and sticking with stock pads. Porsche's standards for brakes are outstanding, and it is very rare to see fade in a modern Porsche as a beginning de student. Do make sure though that you have plenty of pad material left. If there's doubt, put in some new pads.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Stock porsche pads on their 991 and 981 are pretty good, and give lots of warning when they are getting stressed.

If you are going to switch, please for your own safety and that of your instructor, get a full on race pad that is designed for heavy track use. There is no such thing as a dual use pad. Most track pads can work just fine on the street from a temperature standpoint - but not all will (which means the first time you use the brakes, until they heat up, you have reduced braking ability - mostly a problem only in a parking lot). A track pad will be typically noisy as well because they don't have the vibration management features. So when I say there is no dual use pad - I'm talking mostly about noise.

I have been in 4 near bad accidents with students, the most recent was last weekend at COTA. They were all due to idiotic brake pad recommendations by morons who have never put their own ***** on the bumper of a car on a track. Yes, you could say the real problem was the idiot (me) who got in the car in the first place...

Racing brake (racingbrake.com) products are not track worthy. I don't care what anyone says at this point, it's happened too many times to me at this point. I was riding in a Turbo S last weekend that nearly ended up with the student and I going into the wall at COTA T12 at over 100mph. His racing brake ceramic conversion kit melted down and destroyed a caliper, which breached the brake system and we lost all braking ability and nannies. If we didn't go into a spin, we would have hit the wall.

Hawk HPS and HP+ are also examples of terrible pads to use on a track. They are marketed sometimes as track worthy, but they are absolutely not. They have low operating temps, and when they get to their max temp there is an abrupt loss of braking force - like an on-off switch. Two times now, student car - usually a BMW or Corvette, no braking from high speed. Lots of people will say they use them and have no problems - they are driving miatas and don't use their brakes or are not going very quickly in a larger car.

Brakes are a safety measure. if you don't get a known good/respected product, you might as well just wrap you seat belt around your neck and go out on track.

Sorry....I'm definitely beyond rational on this topic given how often I've been in near misses.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 04-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:15 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

Hawk HPS and HP+ are also examples of terrible pads to use on a track. Lots of people will say they use them and have no problems - they are driving miatas and don't use their brakes or are not going very quickly in a larger car.
I had to use HP+ once in a pinch as my Ctechs didn't get to me in time (full disclosure: I ordered them late, like a dope).....10 minutes into a run they stopped stopping, they left massive deposits on my rotors that felt like warping, and when I later removed them big chunks of the pad were MIA. And this is on a Mini with 120hp.......

Other than that, they weren't bad!

So no, don't use these on a racetrack. Yes, get a bonafide race pad--there are some that you can drive to the track but chances are they won't stop very well when cold and they'll squeal like a city bus, so be prepared if you go that way.

Gary
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
I had to use HP+ once in a pinch as my Ctechs didn't get to me in time (full disclosure: I ordered them late, like a dope).....10 minutes into a run they stopped stopping, they left massive deposits on my rotors that felt like warping, and when I later removed them big chunks of the pad were MIA. And this is on a Mini with 120hp.......

Other than that, they weren't bad!

So no, don't use these on a racetrack. Yes, get a bonafide race pad--there are some that you can drive to the track but chances are they won't stop very well when cold and they'll squeal like a city bus, so be prepared if you go that way.

Gary
You need to pick a pad that has the correct operating temp for your application. HP+ is low torque and 100-600F optimal, 800 max. If you push them to 800-1000F you can't expect them to work properly.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
You need to pick a pad that has the correct operating temp for your application. HP+ is low torque and 100-600F optimal, 800 max. If you push them to 800-1000F you can't expect them to work properly.
Again, these were used in a pinch--I use Carbotechs and love them.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Thanks all - I do appreciate everyone chiming in.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Another vote for upgrading the brake fluid and sticking with stock pads. Porsche's standards for brakes are outstanding, and it is very rare to see fade in a modern Porsche as a beginning de student. Do make sure though that you have plenty of pad material left. If there's doubt, put in some new pads.
+1, 2 & 3

I ran on stock pads and rotors until reaching advanced run group level. No need or reason to go with more until then IMO.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had her first ride in the 991. C2S of this year. The squeal from the Pajid Yellows made her cringe out loud.

Last year I found that squirting water on the pads helps for about a day.

I wish there was a way to around this ongoing problem.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

And to your experience, you can get through a 2-3 day event with one set of stock pads?

I guess will have to learn how to conserve. Or maybe pack an extra set.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for HPDE