Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spin out video. What if he turned the other way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:45 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

What was the whooshing sound at 5:45? I thought it was the engine dying, but after that rubbing sound stops, you can hear the engine still idling.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:20 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

When your attempts to recover fail. Make the spin your BITCH. Make it yours and put it into a hard spin to burn energy and keep your eyes on where you want to go ( not what you want to avoid )
Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
When your attempts to recover fail. Make the spin your BITCH. Make it yours and put it into a hard spin to burn energy and keep your eyes on where you want to go ( not what you want to avoid )
Hah! Good one.

Better yet, work incrementally instead of throwing it against the wall and hoping it sticks...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

The driver was aggressive in a not-good way. He didn't understand the physics of the track, and ignored the warning signs from prior laps of needing substantial corrections at the same places on the track. Instead of mindfully perceiving what the car and track were trying to tell him, and anticipating what needed to be done to keep the car stable without drama, he tried to muscle the car into submission. This driving approach amounts to playing with fire, and luck eventually runs out.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:23 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The driver was aggressive in a not-good way. He didn't understand the physics of the track, and ignored the warning signs from prior laps of needing substantial corrections at the same places on the track. Instead of mindfully perceiving what the car and track were trying to tell him, and anticipating what needed to be done to keep the car stable without drama, he tried to muscle the car into submission. This driving approach amounts to playing with fire, and luck eventually runs out.
Agreed, this was the bigger picture (plus the YouTube comments suggest he was in a competitive race or time attack with the car unusually loose due to suspected worn bushes in the rear suspension).

For the obsessed and/or masochistic, I have fixed the missing pics in my original post back on page two.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
TLDR version (with apologies to the driver, who still did better than I did with my first spin): Turned in too hot, too early, and too sharp over the hump. with a resulting late adjustment of line near the apex flicking the rear out. Undercorrected several times and tried too long to stay on track. Unsettled the car with gas, liftoff and - perhaps - some brake during the off-track transition and was too late applying full opposite lock. Too late locking all four wheels as the car had already rotated enough to overwhelm the steering at full lock, causing the fronts to direct the car inwards towards the wall first.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hah! Good one.

Better yet, work incrementally instead of throwing it against the wall and hoping it sticks...
Nah, just keep your eyes on the track and both feet on the wheel
Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a sh/t show of driving. Saw that crash coming from the earliest laps in that vid. Happy no one else was caught up in the drama.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Another crash at lightning today on the same spot. Car hit the tire wall to the left with the driver side. I don't know the details but i'm guessing very similar scenario.

Quick Reply: Spin out video. What if he turned the other way?