Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seats: optimal balance of safety, comfort, and price for DE & Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I went with the Sparco Ergo II with the removable halo wings. I drive the car on the street on occasion.

For me, being I'm 6'2 and 235 with a long torso, the challenge is more finding a seat that fits me first, THEN hoping I can afford it Most seats I sit in, the belt holes are in the middle of my shoulder blades.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:05 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

The racetech seats are great for taller folks.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff - anyone have experience with "narrow" halos? I like the idea of tighter fit but worried that visibility gets worse given there is less helmet movement.

at this point, I'm kinda set on sparco so it's gonna be either the ts I posted or the ergo - is the halo easily removable? In other words, can you "rip off" the door side halo with your hand for quicker exit in an emergency?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

I sat in the ergo. Nice seat, but the shoulder holes were quite low. The halo is not rip off, that wouldn't hold up too well when you really needed it. IIRC, there's a couple of bolts on each side.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how you guys with halo's get out through a window...

I put in nonhalo seats with a high bolster, and getting my 6ft 220lb frame out the window of an old school 911 with a fixed steering wheel is darn near impossible. Its painful. With a Halo??? Probably not doable, without some severe contortionist movements...
Old 04-01-2017, 01:51 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4

Would love to hear how you arrived at your choice, and if you have any thoughts on my considerations.

Let's discuss

TK
I did not want to die so I bought a custom made full containment seat similar to NACSAR seat. IMO the seat is the single most important part of the safety cell. It is like dribbling in basketball. If you can't dribble you can't play the game.

Everyone makes their own compromises. A properly installed center net for a non-containment seat is a huge improvement for pennies. Driver's nets don't work as well because of proximity to other stuff. But many are doing secondary bars between the B piller and halo bar which can restrict movement in a tight cockpit to a degree.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699
I don't know how you guys with halo's get out through a window...

I put in nonhalo seats with a high bolster, and getting my 6ft 220lb frame out the window of an old school 911 with a fixed steering wheel is darn near impossible. Its painful. With a Halo??? Probably not doable, without some severe contortionist movements...
Not saying it's easy out my 968, but I would imagine a fixed steering wheel is a huge part of your difficulty. Why not get a quick disconnect?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I did not want to die so I bought a custom made full containment seat similar to NACSAR seat. IMO the seat is the single most important part of the safety cell. It is like dribbling in basketball. If you can't dribble you can't play the game.

Everyone makes their own compromises. A properly installed center net for a non-containment seat is a huge improvement for pennies. Driver's nets don't work as well because of proximity to other stuff. But many are doing secondary bars between the B piller and halo bar which can restrict movement in a tight cockpit to a degree.
What seat did you get? Any pics? Safety is #1 for me, hence wanting to go to a halo seat.

Originally Posted by linzman
Not saying it's easy out my 968, but I would imagine a fixed steering wheel is a huge part of your difficulty. Why not get a quick disconnect?
Agree - quick release is a must in smaller cockpit / harder egress cars. My car already had one, but I will have it on all future caged cars.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4
What seat did you get? Any pics? Safety is #1 for me, hence wanting to go to a halo seat.
Seats are like discussing politics. That said I have a custom ultrashield road race super seat. It is aluminum and jut like a hans device has very specific mounting instructions that make or break its function that can't be installed without other compromises. For example if you need a slider you are better off with a FIA plastic seat. Safety is a system and it is a system of compromises.

There is +/- in every choice. I custom ordered the position of my shoulder harness holes incorrectly. But being aluminum I could cut and weld a perfect correction. In the future, if I need another seat I will just weld one with all the features I want. It would look more like a La joie or Butler with more rollcage integration than I already have.

As you research distinguish between halo seats and full containment seats. They are not equal. IMO the best non-NASCAR style metal seat is the 10 year FIA plastic seat with integral back brace assuming your body fits the seat including the position of all the seat holes.

Quick Reply: Race seats: optimal balance of safety, comfort, and price for DE & Club Racing