Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two way radios for racing - Best options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Two way radios for racing - Best options?

I'm looking for a setup that can be moved between multiple cars. I have a Stilo helmet with electronics, so that part is easy. Is the Motorola CP200D the way to go and have all the cars setup to plug right in? I run various tracks in Texas and now Cali. Some long like COTA. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Try these guys: www.racingradios.com

Running a simple portable radio is a huge compromise over a built in system with high gain antenna. If you're doing car to car, a portable system is fine.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

We use gsm based "radios". It works extremely well, especially on the superlong Nordschleife. Basically you have a mobile phone in the car and a mobile phone in the pits (also possible car to car) connected to your helmet (I have Stilo with inbuilt mic+earmuffs) and a headset in the pits.
You open the line by calling from pits to the car and everything is automatic. The line is open through the race ( we use prepaid sim cards, costs a couple of euros per race). Everything that is said in the car is heard in the pits and from the pit to car you just press the tangent on the headset and the driver hears your talk.

Much better than expensive radios that require 1200eur annual user license etc.

It is this system:

http://www.stilo.it/product-category...ation-circuit/

Old 03-02-2017, 01:17 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

+1 To get good coverage/quality at a track without line of sight requires an antenna on the outside of the car or really good radios.

Stilo also makes a couple other options, though not sure if the GSM stuff works in the US, and they are point to point option, not multi-car, or multi team-member options like the pro system.
They have something called a verbacom "Club" which comes with a special phone and bluetooth connection your stilo helmet, you just provide a sim card. I'm assuming it's a global phone and works with with the GSM bands we have here. It's much cheaper that the Pro version.

http://www.stilo.it/product/verbacom-club/

Another option is the Stilo DG10. It's an driver/co-driver intercom that will allow you to bridge to a phone call over bluetooth. I've been using mine with my iphone. Hard for you to start a call from in the car, but easy to accept an incoming call.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The Stilo setup has me wondering if you could do the same with a good noise cancelling headset for much less $$$.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

I'd check out the digital radium radios from Speed com. Digital radios are the only way to go IMHO if doing radios.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

love my Vertex digital radio, works great
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Try these guys: www.racingradios.com

Running a simple portable radio is a huge compromise over a built in system with high gain antenna. If you're doing car to car, a portable system is fine.
+1 for racing radios. Ask for charles. The cp200d works from the kinks at road america to the pits. Digital is the way to go.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:11 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
We use gsm based "radios". It works extremely well, especially on the superlong Nordschleife. Basically you have a mobile phone in the car and a mobile phone in the pits (also possible car to car) connected to your helmet (I have Stilo with inbuilt mic+earmuffs) and a headset in the pits.
You open the line by calling from pits to the car and everything is automatic. The line is open through the race ( we use prepaid sim cards, costs a couple of euros per race). Everything that is said in the car is heard in the pits and from the pit to car you just press the tangent on the headset and the driver hears your talk.

Much better than expensive radios that require 1200eur annual user license etc.
Just wondering, why not connect earpieces directly to the mobile phone and just open a call? Why the need of this system between the phone and the driver, or the headset between the phone and the pit crew member?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Just wondering, why not connect earpieces directly to the mobile phone and just open a call? Why the need of this system between the phone and the driver, or the headset between the phone and the pit crew member?
Suppose you could do that as well but there are some advantages to the Stilo system over just a mobile phone;

-The external GSM antenna
-The connection to the inbuilt headset/mic in the helmet (sound quality, mic quality)
- No need to answer "pick up" the calls in the car as it is automatic in the Stilo system. If the line hangs up, the pit crew just dials the number again and the line opens automatically.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Great!

Just asked the price to our local Stilo distributor. Thanks for posting this. We will be running some very low budget cars this year and I don't want to shell out a full radio system twice + licensing costs for 2 cars for each race.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Great!

Just asked the price to our local Stilo distributor. Thanks for posting this. We will be running some very low budget cars this year and I don't want to shell out a full radio system twice + licensing costs for 2 cars for each race.
You might talk to an EU distributor as well, though this is probably a situation where you are going to potentially need support.

Stilo stuff is substantially cheaper in the EU and UK right now.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Great!

Where are you racing this season? I can't speak highly enough about Michael Hub who runs the Oreca store at the Nürburgring. He is a Stilo distributor and has all of the stuff in stock: info@hub-motorsport.de

On a side note and speaking of Belgium, I just signed up for two race at SPA this summer; Euro races 10.-11.6. and the Historic summer Classic on 21.-23.7.
Still undecided if I run the "RSR" or my CUP.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
You might talk to an EU distributor as well, though this is probably a situation where you are going to potentially need support.

Stilo stuff is substantially cheaper in the EU and UK right now.
We have someone in Belgium that distributes Stilo (I bought my helmet from him) so I am checking with him.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Juha G

On a side note and speaking of Belgium, I just signed up for two race at SPA this summer; Euro races 10.-11.6. and the Historic summer Classic on 21.-23.7.
Still undecided if I run the "RSR" or my CUP.
Nice. We might meet up. Need to check my schedule

Quick Reply: Two way radios for racing - Best options?