Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Supercup in GT2 in SCCA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:04 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope you do get to run. Daytona is a fun and very fast track. If you have the opportunity to race there, don't miss it.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Jason C.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Racing

Jim Newman's numbers are right on. I just got off the phone with a friend discussing the Daytona 24 in a Cup car - and remembered this thread.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion (after researching GA Cup/SGS and now Daytona) that pro racing is not for people on a salary. You need to be beyond a mere six figure salary to go pro racing on a consistent and competitive basis. Well, I could always put a second mortgage on the house and then its Daytona, here I come baby!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:38 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Jason:

It is insane isn't it. The terrible thing is what you win. A Rolex watch $6,250 and a small peice of a the winner's purse. When I was going do it in 1998, the overall winner won $40,000. Split that bewteen your crew, drivers and so on.. To make it worse, you won't even be on TV unless you are leading or have a wreck. Don't take this too negatively, I love racing. I just can't undertsand why people would spend that kind of money unless they have an endless supply of it.

I have an idea....Buy my GT3 Cup and rent out the seats...It's the only way to go!
Old 11-21-2003, 06:47 PM
OTEcupracer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
It really depends on whom you drive for regarding what you get. When I drove the 24 in 99, had the rarity of winning it had happened, we probably would've gotten to keep the watch, the prize money went back to the car owner. What little we did win DID!! Also it's the rare instance that once your butt touches that seat for practice or race you see none of your money back, even if you are #3 driver and #1 crashes out. Prices were alot more acceptable back in the late 90s but even at that my experience is unless you really can throw the cash away it's not worth the bang for the buck.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:44 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I agree. The last few years the price and the "contracts" have gotten out of hand. You "hit the nail on the head", unless you have the extra "throw away" cash, racing in a club series is far more afforable.

But if anyone wants to race this year's Rolex 24, I have a 996 GT3 Cup that I will sell them and they can rent out seats. What a deal, three seats at $30K and you pay for the car and you get to race for free*.

I guess i should put a disclaimer........*except for practice fees, fuel, tires entry fees, damage to car druing the race, crew expense, rebuilds on the drievtrain and suspension after the race, extra wheels, extra parts, food and comforts at the track for the drivers and crew.... this is the short list.

Quick Reply: 996 Supercup in GT2 in SCCA