Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing... can you feel a 500lb difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017 | 12:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Here is my towing setup... Trailer is 1350 dry, car is 3100. I am at 4,450 pounds. The Macan is rated for 5,600 pounds braked, 1,650 pounds unbraked. For this setup it is absolutely ideal. It is also rated for 4 Adults so factor in 1 driver at 150 pounds and I have plenty of overhead for gear. My tongue wait is 180 pounds with the car perfectly balanced on the axles so I am adding a custom tire rack that will sit below the Macan's roof line as well. I can tell you that I never lack for power, regardless of terrain/conditions. As ExMB mentioned though, that is a total consideration of myself, weight in vehicle, weight being towed and tongue weight together, not just weight of the trailer/car and maximum capacity...

Interestingly enough I did a trip to JPC to drop my car off for it's cage last week and sitting at 80 most of the way even up and down through the hills I got 15.2 MPG out of that Macan... AND it did a 1:39 on Thunderbolt... So yeah, it's capable lol.
Interesting you mention the Macan's tow rating. In this thread they show a different number. Porsche tow spec
I'm also by your tongue weight as that seems very low for the amount of weight you are towing.
Old 02-03-2017 | 01:10 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Interesting you mention the Macan's tow rating. In this thread they show a different number. Porsche tow spec
I'm also by your tongue weight as that seems very low for the amount of weight you are towing.
It is a great Porsche mystery... It was released at 5,291 pounds. After J2807 it was reduced to 4,400 pounds. No one has ever been able to answer my question as to "why" towing capacity was reduced. It has been discussed tons on the Macan Forums. The thinking is they just lowered the number to align with GCWR per the SAE standard but there is no physical limitation or restriction to the original #'s... Interestingly, when they lowered the trailer weight they increased the Maximum combined weight at the same time 10,600 pounds... Offset one with the othermaybe? As for Tongue weight, it is a mid engine car sitting right over the axles... The markings on the trailer are where we were perfectly balanced. I get zero trailer sway or wiggle so I trust the balance is right. I also have a real time scale on my hitch

Funny thing is I still carry the 4 pages of my manual that discusses weights and towing in the back of the truck. I printed them when I first started towing lol. I've towed from NJ to Watkins Glen, tow to NJMP repeatedly, brought it up through the hills to Stroudsburg last week and it was never once lacking for pulling or stopping power. Probably done 5k miles of towing with it so far. I usually carry myself and my gear, maybe 300 pounds in the truck so 4550 in the truck and 4450 on the trailer. Total weight is 9,000, over 1,600 under maximum combination... So if Towing max is really 4,400 I would be hard pressed to fit another 1,600 in the truck lol. I think the roof is 200 pounds max

Last edited by Paul Solk; 02-03-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

You probably will feel it braking and at turn in, and then some amount of understeer at the apex.

Seriously though, you will want to make sure you max-out your tongue weight, and in my experience with a short wheel base vehicle like the X5, if the ratio is under 10% it really makes things feel unstable. For that reason, I balance my loaded trailer so I am always at or slightly over the max tongue weight (within reason). If you are trying to pull a load that does not give you at last a 10% ratio, then you are definitely going to feel it at speed, lane changes, in the rain, or in the wind. I know in europe that ratio recommendation is very different (lower), which is, I'm assuming, part of the reason their tow ratings tend to be much higher than in the US.

The macan, cayenne, and x5 are not short on brakes or power, especially in the tricked out versions - it's the vehicle GVW that limits things -> the tongue capacity.
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:39 PM
dogger15
Racer

The Highlander is built on a Camry frame so it has smaller "car size" brakes, axles, frame rails, etc. It also has a class III trailer hitch with a max tongue weight of 500 lbs.

Tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight (400-450 lbs in your case), so you are getting close to the limit with either trailer. Another problem will be the tail down, nose up attitude your Highlander will adopt with that much weight on the hitch, which adds another unsafe element to the equation.

Of course you can install a higher rated hitch, air bags, etc., to mitigate some of these problems, but you'll still be stuck with barely adequate brakes and axle and next to no reserves if anything bad happens. Your call.
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
You probably will feel it braking and at turn in, and then some amount of understeer at the apex.
Definitely requires you to work on your trail braking
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:47 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Seriously though, you will want to make sure you max-out your tongue weight, and in my experience with a short wheel base vehicle like the X5, if the ratio is under 10% it really makes things feel unstable. For that reason, I balance my loaded trailer so I am always at or slightly over the max tongue weight (within reason). If you are trying to pull a load that does not give you at last a 10% ratio, then you are definitely going to feel it at speed, lane changes, in the rain, or in the wind. I know in europe that ratio recommendation is very different (lower), which is, I'm assuming, part of the reason their tow ratings tend to be much higher than in the US.
So I am about 5% and it has been incredibly stable. As long as I am on my marks on the trailer it is rock solid behind me. So I should be putting more on my tongue? As I said above, I figured it was because it was a mid engine car and the motor is right above the trailer axles...
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:53 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by dogger15
The Highlander is built on a Camry frame so it has smaller "car size" brakes, axles, frame rails, etc. It also has a class III trailer hitch with a max tongue weight of 500 lbs.

Tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight (400-450 lbs in your case), so you are getting close to the limit with either trailer. Another problem will be the tail down, nose up attitude your Highlander will adopt with that much weight on the hitch, which adds another unsafe element to the equation.

Of course you can install a higher rated hitch, air bags, etc., to mitigate some of these problems, but you'll still be stuck with barely adequate brakes and axle and next to no reserves if anything bad happens. Your call.
learning a lot here...

So with the trailex I would be at 3900lbs or so... Sounds better?

Not trying to be unsafe...
Old 02-03-2017 | 03:54 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Had some Culver's custard in Sarasota this week-- not as good as Kopps. Perhaps some Danish Kringle for SB pre-game brunch if they have it at TJ's...

Anyway,I have a Trailex enclosed and pull it with a 2100 pound car inside using my gen 1 Tundra. My trailer weighs about 1600 pounds.

I agree there are a lot of variables. But I cannot imagine a technical downside with a lighter trailer that is well made like the Trailex products. I am sure there are good experiences with Featherlite as well.

I bought my Trailex enclosed used in 2001. It was less than 5 years old when I bought it, and I expect I can get what I paid for it if I sell it.

Through the years I have had some questions and needed a few parts, and I have always had great support from Trailex-- specifically Carl Carbon. If he is still at Trailex, it may be good to try to speak to him directly with some of your questions. They are in OH which isn't that far away from Racine.

Trailex haas sponsored PCA Club Racing for a really long time, and I for one appreciate that greatly. And I have been very happy with my relatively light trailer.
Old 02-03-2017 | 04:54 PM
bpu699

Ok, looks like I will just buy new.... Got the info from Trailex...

New trailer is $5300, shipping is $300, so $5600. Spare tire is $200...tire rack is $600 (will pass on that for now, can always add later).

I gotta say, given that info, scratching my head on why used ones go for $4500+, when brand new is only $1000 more with new tires, brakes, warranty, etc...

Used is used, no?
Old 02-03-2017 | 05:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699

New trailer is $5300, shipping is $300, so $5600. Spare tire is $200...tire rack is $600 (will pass on that for now, can always add later).

I gotta say, given that info, scratching my head on why used ones go for $4500+, when brand new is only $1000 more with new tires, brakes, warranty, etc...

Used is used, no?
Why are 3-year old GT3s going for MSRP or higher.....
Old 02-03-2017 | 05:28 PM
bpu699

Why are 3-year old GT3s going for MSRP or higher.....
Because there is a limited supply, and newer ones cost more?

There is an unlimited supply of new Trailex trailers, as far as I know
Old 02-03-2017 | 06:24 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

I sold my last enclosed 24' car trailer that was 3 years old for only $300 less than I paid for it. I had gotten my use out of it too.

Not sure why trailers can hold such value vs buying new.
Old 02-03-2017 | 06:26 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

You will be fine. Just don't push it.
Old 02-03-2017 | 10:50 PM
Rob996
Pro

I love my trailex..great quality trailer perfect for porsches. Except I need race ramps because of very low front end..

The tow vehicle choice is so variable and personal, everyone is right. Right?
Old 02-03-2017 | 11:37 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bpu699

Used is used, no?
Not sure if you meant you are going to pass on the spare tire or just the tire rack. Make sure you have a spare tire. The stories are legion of flat trailer tires.

Quick Reply: Towing... can you feel a 500lb difference?