Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a Pcar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a Pcar?

I've recently started a thread with a very similar title in the performance modifications forum, here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post13898932

EDIT: I understand this link isn't (always?) working. You should also be able to get there by copy and pasting the following text into this forums search tool: "things you can do to your car that will affect the aerodynamics"

Then someone posted that I should have started it in this forum, and they're probably right.

Too late now, though. I can't move the thread. All I can do is mention it here. So if you're interested, please click on the link!

Last edited by rs10; 01-29-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:21 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
I've recently started a thread with a very similar title in the performance modifications forum, here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post13898932

Then someone posted that I should have started it in this forum, and they're probably right.

Too late now, though. I can't move the thread. All I can do is mention it here. So if you're interested, please click on the link!
Your link doesn't work. The only way that I know to get true empirical data is with a wind tunnel.

Depending on much you have set up for data collection, you can work with linear gauges on your suspension to measure how changes to aerodynamics effect any given corner on the car under a given set of circumstances.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

I have been successfully working with well calibrated shock pods and AIM math channels over the past two years on lift/downforce measurements. In the wind tunnel you really need a rolling road set-up to deal with boundary layer effects.

It's tough to do reliable drag measurements outside the wind tunnel. We also use flow visualization techniques with tuffs.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 980 Likes on 588 Posts

There are ways to do this, but your threads are tough to follow since they are in about 5 forums.

The data systems are not $6k to do this. The sensors would run around $250 each, data logger would be around $1,700, then install on them. You may be able to tap into the stock sensors or decode the CANbus info if you wanted to and then you wouldn't need the sensors. AEM would not be a good choice for this.

A wind tunnel would be the best bet, but would be expensive working through all the configurations. You can rent A2 for $500/hr with a 2 hr minimum. That would be accurate enough to get you info on what works better and worse. http://www.a2wt.com/
Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There are ways to do this, but your threads are tough to follow since they are in about 5 forums.
Indeed. I did my best to direct all discussion to just one forum, but it didn't quite work that way. Perhaps rim328 is not the only one for whom the link didn't work ... .

Otherwise, A2 isn't really an option for me. I'm not a race team, and I can't change the configuration fast enough to use 2 hours of time. Indeed, in many cases I wouldn't be able to change the configuration myself at all ...

Any idea what data loggers would be a good bet to use with the stock height sensors?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlm328
Your link doesn't work. The only way that I know to get true empirical data is with a wind tunnel.

Depending on much you have set up for data collection, you can work with linear gauges on your suspension to measure how changes to aerodynamics effect any given corner on the car under a given set of circumstances.
Thanks for your post - shame I didn't see it sooner!

I don't know how to fix the link. But as I just added to the first post, another way to get there is to seach this forum for some text from that thread, such as:
things you can do to your car that will affect the aerodynamics
Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 980 Likes on 588 Posts

Indeed. I did my best to direct all discussion to just one forum, but it didn't quite work that way. Perhaps rim328 is not the only one for whom the link didn't work ... .

Otherwise, A2 isn't really an option for me. I'm not a race team, and I can't change the configuration fast enough to use 2 hours of time. Indeed, in many cases I wouldn't be able to change the configuration myself at all ...

Any idea what data loggers would be a good bet to use with the stock height sensors?

Thanks!
If you just wanted to log, an AiM Evo5 would be a very good choice. Then you would have to either see if you can get the CAN info to make a custom profile (read lots of time and effort) or tap into the stock ride height sensors. If neither of those work, then you can add your own sensors.

Let me know if you want to do something along those lines and I'm happy to help you out. I'm an AiM dealer, but I might direct you to someone else depending on where you are.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is A2 the one in NC? I've thought about that one. 500/hr isn't bad at all.

You need to make for quick swapping with some low torque power tools and maybe use quick release pins on your wing. An extra set of hands would work wonders.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
Is A2 the one in NC? I've thought about that one. 500/hr isn't bad at all.

You need to make for quick swapping with some low torque power tools and maybe use quick release pins on your wing. An extra set of hands would work wonders.
There may be a way to get even more data in less time: Once a car is ready, how long does it take to put it in the tunnel and measure it? 10 minutes?

If so, then if 12 guys go together with their cars, each of them different, you can learn a lot in just two hours.

(But please share your data when you do, because I can't join. I'm nowhere close.)

Last edited by rs10; 01-31-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I have been successfully working with well calibrated shock pods and AIM math channels over the past two years on lift/downforce measurements. In the wind tunnel you really need a rolling road set-up to deal with boundary layer effects.

It's tough to do reliable drag measurements outside the wind tunnel. We also use flow visualization techniques with tuffs.
Airplane guy.......
Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Any reason you didn't use the stock height sensors?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,872 Posts

Any reason you didn't use the stock height sensors?
Not enough accuracy or resolution, I would imagine.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not enough accuracy or resolution, I would imagine.
Interesting, but I'm not entirely sure how to understand your post. Do you know they do not have enough accuracy or resolution (and imagine this is Frank 993 C4S's reason)? Or do you imagine they might not have enough accuracy or resolution?

(If it turns out that they are not very good height sensors, then my question would be whether they are good enough for me. I would be satisfied if I could reliably pick up a change in lift of as little as 5 kg (possibly a bit more in the rear). This might be tough to measure on my car, as my springs are significantly stiffer then the standard Carrera sport suspension. On the other hand, since I have the opportunity to get up to pretty high speeds on long, flat stretches, 5 kg could result from relatively small changes.)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,872 Posts

Interesting, but I'm not entirely sure how to understand your post. Do you know they do not have enough accuracy or resolution (and imagine this is Frank 993 C4S's reason)? Or do you imagine they might not have enough accuracy or resolution?

(If it turns out that they are not very good height sensors, then my question would be whether they are good enough for me. I would be satisfied if I could reliably pick up a change in lift of as little as 5 kg (possibly a bit more in the rear). This might be tough to measure on my car, as my springs are significantly stiffer then the standard Carrera sport suspension. On the other hand, since I have the opportunity to get up to pretty high speeds on long, flat stretches, 5 kg could result from relatively small changes.)
I am clear.

I also know that the ONLY way you could achieve close to your desired resolution is by strain gauges at the spring perch. I recommend these: http://www.raetech.com/Instrumentati..._Load_Cell.php
Old 02-03-2017, 05:35 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I am clear.

I also know that the ONLY way you could achieve close to your desired resolution is by strain gauges at the spring perch. I recommend these: http://www.raetech.com/Instrumentati..._Load_Cell.php
Looks impressive. Does not look cheap. (The site does not show the price, which contributes to it no looking cheap.)

How about 10 kg differences? With standard Carrera springs? :-)

Well, I can definitely test at high enough speeds that 7.5 kg would tell me what I need to know. Not sure about 10 ...

Last edited by rs10; 02-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a Pcar?