Racing License

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob

OP,
For me there is not much more fun than racing. Racing is a drug and a cocaine habit is cheaper.
You have the fever too?

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Take a look at the Bridgestone Racing Academy.
3 full days in a formula car, SCCA Regional full competition and CASC B license upon graduation.

www.race2000.com

Good exchange rate too....
THANKS
Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Racing and performance driving in general, changed my life for the better in so many ways. Its cost a small fortune in time and money, but I don't regret a minute of it, and wish I could do more of it.
+1

If I ever let myself think about the money I have spent on racing I realize I must be out of my mind.

But when I look back on my life's events - the things that really mattered - going to the track ranks up near the top of the list. Sure the family stuff, like the birth of my daughter, ranks firmly at the top of the list. That can't be replaced.

But going to the track, and racing, opened up a whole new world. I can get really spiritual about how it has affected me. Diving into turn one at Daytona with a car right next to you - it doesn't get more real than that! You learn something about yourself in those situation.

Friends and people I have met through going to the track? Some of the finest people around.

No, I won't regret any of it. So get your license and get out there. If racing doesn't make you happy I would be at a loss to tell what could.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
+1

If I ever let myself think about the money I have spent on racing I realize I must be out of my mind.

But when I look back on my life's events - the things that really mattered - going to the track ranks up near the top of the list. Sure the family stuff, like the birth of my daughter, ranks firmly at the top of the list. That can't be replaced.

But going to the track, and racing, opened up a whole new world. I can get really spiritual about how it has affected me. Diving into turn one at Daytona with a car right next to you - it doesn't get more real than that! You learn something about yourself in those situation.

Friends and people I have met through going to the track? Some of the finest people around.

No, I won't regret any of it. So get your license and get out there. If racing doesn't make you happy I would be at a loss to tell what could.
You are not alone! Great post.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You are not alone! Great post.
If you were to tell me in 2005 when I got my first 911 and started DE'ng that my best friend list 12 years later would be 90% comprised of people I would meet at the track I would have laughed at you... pretty amazing actually, after 50 years of friends and family a whole new world opened up.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM
dennis macchio
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A plug here for professional racing schools......there really isn't a club school that compares, although schools will cover the basics. Just not enough time and proper format to accomplish a whole lot in the club environment.........Pro schools(and of course I think ours is the best) are incredibly detailed and comprehensive, and provide the best foundation for racing.....and continuing the learning process. Feel free to call at any time, and I will share the pros and cons of the various options.....Dennis at Bertil Roos.....
Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Racing being what its, for people like us and all the good experiences we have at the track with people and cars, make you wonder why some people like celebrities do the things they do, A few of them have it figured out.. Unfortunately work gets in the way of my car habit.. If I were a celeb, Id be at the track all the time...Paul Newman understood .:-)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If you were to tell me in 2005 when I got my first 911 and started DE'ng that my best friend list 12 years later would be 90% comprised of people I would meet at the track I would have laughed at you... pretty amazing actually, after 50 years of friends and family a whole new world opened up.
I hear ya Gary. It's like half of my friends are track junkies/Rennlist and the other half are at the methadone clinic.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
or that half my wardrobe would be shirts and jackets from track events. I counted 15 from the Glen alone a while back. Of course I started five years before you did.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
I hear ya Gary. It's like half of my friends are track junkies/Rennlist and the other half are at the methadone clinic.
You're the best Coochas Dave! Too much to say here except...#psychopharmacologyrules
Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious how some of you with families manage to "race" so often? More than money, it was the entire weekends away that was the end of my career, could no longer justify dragging family to spend all weekend at the track with absolutely nothing to do but see a lot of waiting around by the paddock just so I could have my 30 minuets of fun.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Curious how some of you with families manage to "race" so often? More than money, it was the entire weekends away that was the end of my career, could no longer justify dragging family to spend all weekend at the track with absolutely nothing to do but see a lot of waiting around by the paddock just so I could have my 30 minuets of fun.
No wonder you stopped, you have the rare ability of sucking the fun right out of a room with the way you think!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:45 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

What about all the other fun stiff that goes with it, I.E. Hiking up the falls at Watkins Glen state park?(Where else can you walk under a waterfall? ) Going to montour falls Near WGI and having an ice cream, Going Go-cart racing afterwards and getting kicked out because There was too much "rubbin"? Having Dinner overlooking the lake.. Man, I wouldn't trade those moments for the world... There is Way more to racing than just racing.. or De's...
Old 01-27-2017, 01:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

My kids would love to come to the track more often but my wife doesn't see the allure so they get to go once a year or so. Since the kids have school on Fridays, taking them with me wouldn't work most of the time anyway. Somehow they manage without me for a whole weekend.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

While driving in the race is obviously the highlight of the weekend I generally am busy until my head hits the pillow each night.

In between races I bike around the paddock talking to friends, watching races, getting stuff prepped for my car, talking with the mechanics, etc.

Between racing and DE, which I still do, I am generally on track about 40 days a year. Its a juggling act with the family and money! But I make sure that I do things for my family which is for them so it is a trade-off. My family also comes to a few of my local races as well so they feel involved and meet some of my "track friends".

If you are bored in between races I really don't know what to say. I'm excited driving to the airport to go racing, and I go to bed with a smile on my face, regardless of the outcome, when I get home several days later. Perhaps other sports beckoned for you.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
While driving in the race is obviously the highlight of the weekend I generally am busy until my head hits the pillow each night.

In between races I bike around the paddock talking to friends, watching races, getting stuff prepped for my car, talking with the mechanics, etc.

Between racing and DE, which I still do, I am generally on track about 40 days a year. Its a juggling act with the family and money! But I make sure that I do things for my family which is for them so it is a trade-off. My family also comes to a few of my local races as well so they feel involved and meet some of my "track friends".

If you are bored in between races I really don't know what to say. I'm excited driving to the airport to go racing, and I go to bed with a smile on my face, regardless of the outcome, when I get home several days later. Perhaps other sports beckoned for you.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED going to the track, spending time at the paddock. Just not sure about the little ones As you mention, there's a lot for us to do at the track, whether it's talking with mechanics, working on the car, talking to other drivers, etc., and to be good at the sport you need to be doing those things, but then I'm not sure how interested kids will be when you're having technical discussions about car setup.

Just wanted to hear how some of you (if you have young toddler kids) managed to balance both as I'm trying to figure it out for myself. As you know, it's not just the track days/racing weekends that consume our time. We also have our iRacing, cars and coffees on weekends, working on the car, etc. Maybe if posted in the wrong thread I apologize, didn't mean to hijack.

Quick Reply: Racing License