Racing License

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:40 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Racing License

Hope this is not an Enzo

What procedures/steps need to be taken to get one? And, are the procedures the same for PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Every organization has their own rules and there are provisions to move from one to the other. For PCA:

1) Start with an application and recommendation by your PCA region's chief instructor. This is all available on the PCA Club Racing website
2) Get a medical certificate that is good for either 1 or 2 years
3) Have "the talk" with Susan
4) Get a PCA log book for your car
5) Attend the orientation meeting at your first race
6) Participate in practice starts at your first race
7) Go racing with an "x" on the back of your car for your initial 3 races
Old 01-13-2017, 10:17 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

SCCA, you become a member, and then mail medical, fee and application for approval. Attend school and pass. They previously required two schools but I think that's no longer the case.
Separately your car gets tech and a logbook.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Nope, just one.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably a dumb question, but here it is. Is it a good idea to do SCCA racing school even if I don't really plan to race this year? I figured it's something different from a DE. Planning to rent Miata for the weekend at Summit Point. I have my eyes on AER but I don't think I have track experience (zero racing experience) to qualify for a seat yet. So far I've done 2 years of DEs (17 events) across quite a few NE tracks with PCA. Some sort of racing is a natural progression but being in 31 my budget and time are limited.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:47 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Probably a dumb question, but here it is. Is it a good idea to do SCCA racing school even if I don't really plan to race this year? I figured it's something different from a DE. Planning to rent Miata for the weekend at Summit Point. I have my eyes on AER but I don't think I have track experience (zero racing experience) to qualify for a seat yet. So far I've done 2 years of DEs (17 events) across quite a few NE tracks with PCA. Some sort of racing is a natural progression but being in 31 my budget and time are limited.
Not a dumb question at all. That's not a bad plan provided the school completion is valid through the time it takes you to go to your first race. It's easy to get rusty very quickly especially when you first start racing. There's just so much to absorb because it requires a completely different experience and skill set from DE's. Lastly, it's also a good idea to rent a ride for your first few races or first season just to make sure it's for you (again, that's because it's completely different from DE's). Renting a race car lets you avoid the huge financial commitment necessary to race even at the lower amateur levels.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Agree with the above. The Novice Permit is good for the span of it's issuance to the expiration of your annual SCCA membership. There's reciprocity among a number of groups, and SCCA is a good credential to use for that. Be careful though, there are a number of orgs that require different levels of licensing before recognition. For instance, SCCA won't accept a NASA Provisional (before successful completion of a few races) but they will accept an NASA Full competition license. Yes, worth doing the SCCA school even without firm plans.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! Looks like SCCA gives two years to get three races in for the full license. But I probably would do some sort of school again anyways. Good point on renting the race car, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

FYI, PCA will recognize adequate experience with SCCA, NASA, POC, IMSA and a few others. They will not except WRL or most local race organizations.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,585 Posts

My advice - if you are thinking about racing, and people who are competent tell you that you are ready, just do it. Don't over think it. Just do it!

Good luck - it is worth the effort! My only regret is that I did not start racing sooner.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYC993
Thanks! Looks like SCCA gives two years to get three races in for the full license. But I probably would do some sort of school again anyways. Good point on renting the race car, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Yes, you can renew the Novice Permit once, for a total of two membership annual terms.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

BMWCCA/BimmerWorld have a top notch race school and you're not required to own a BMW to participate.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The BMWCCA CR schools are very good. And SVRA has a race school at Roebling Road in February... Tom Fowler of OPM can rent you a Spec Miata!

Chris Windsor/Windsor Customs or Brett de Pedro/RP Peformance at/near Summit Point would be a good rental source for the March WDC-SCCA school.

No shortage of good places to go.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-13-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

will PCA recognize well documented experience in SVRA and HSR? I have license for those, and more races (which are reciprocal) but i am still provisional at PCA....

its just that there is no place aircooled dedicated 911 race cars in PCA club anymore ( except stock classes which my car is way out of..) so hard to get those races in...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Follow Luigi's advice!

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My advice - if you are thinking about racing, and people who are competent tell you that you are ready, just do it. Don't over think it. Just do it!

Good luck - it is worth the effort! My only regret is that I did not start racing sooner.
911Königin...Follow Luigi's advice!

I thought about racing, was told no, but did it anyway. SCCA driver school, six SCCA races, IMSA license and my next race was at the Daytona 250. Probably guilty of not thinking enough. That '73 race was a total disaster, but four years later I won it overall.

As Luigi wisely says..."Good luck - it is worth the effort!"

George

Quick Reply: Racing License