Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount Tire -- Say It Isn't So.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Discount Tire -- Say It Isn't So.

Discount Tire guys both locally (in NC) and at tracks (eg. Daytona Beach, FL) have done a great job for my P-car and my MB towing rig.

So, being a loyal customer, I go online today to purchase new dancing shoes for my MX5...only to discover, much to my dismay, they don't stock either of the Spec class tires: Toyos or Hoosiers.

Ergo: http://www.discounttire.com/en/tires/brands

Wondered if many of us track junkies are otherwise DiscTir loyals...should we band together and advocate for Toyos and Hoosiers?

PS: Yes, I realize Woodman Tires is an option, and they have been responsive (to say the least)...but the cost is just a bit higher.

PPS: Anyone who's bought from the above vendor, pls could you share your experience on track delivery? Do they deliver to all events?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Call Audrey at Woodman.

Shell set you up. Worth the money and peace of mind!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used Bob Woodman and it's been excellent. I've only dealt with them at the track as well.

phils tire service is excellent as well.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:59 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Tire Rack sells both brands now...
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Talk to the manager at your local DT. The old manager I used to work with would order me tires not listed on their website whenever I asked. This was several years ago.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Call Audrey at Woodman.

Shell set you up. Worth the money and peace of mind!
+1 excellent service always
Old 12-31-2016, 10:46 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
Talk to the manager at your local DT. The old manager I used to work with would order me tires not listed on their website whenever I asked. This was several years ago.
+1

Also, my local store I use does not have a problem if I bring in new tires for them to mount. I usually try to throw the business to them first, but if I get a killer deal or tires they can't get someplace else it does not bother them.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a better deal than all of the above.............

https://philstireservice.com/
Old 01-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've used Bob Woodman and it's been excellent. I've only dealt with them at the track as well.

phils tire service is excellent as well.
Originally Posted by philstireservice
We are a better deal than all of the above.............

https://philstireservice.com/
They're so good they are even better than themselves.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
They're so good they are even better than themselves.
Hehe...I know what it's like to have that problem...
Old 01-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best deal is to head into a major local tire retailer. I negotiated Toyo RR's for far less than any dealer listed, I let them know how many sets I use per year, and they were all over it. I now have some buddies doing the same. I also have them include mounting and balancing. I'm saving $$$.

Put it this way, pull up the price on your tires before shipping/tax, then imagine you get them for less WITH Shipping/Tax/Mounting/Balancing included. They now can even take Toyo Bucks. I found there is a lot of "wiggle" room on the Toyo RR's.

Before negotiating, This site has some good deals on Toyo's a few times a year also. They have a rebate on 4 Toyo tires right now with free shipping. This includes the RR and alike Race tires.
http://www.tiresdirect.net/Default.aspx
Old 01-02-2017, 05:53 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Ordering from tire rack and sending them direct to an expensive boutique wheel shop is the only way to go. I will never go to those retail chain fast food tire stores ever again.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Ordering from tire rack and sending them direct to an expensive boutique wheel shop is the only way to go. I will never go to those retail chain fast food tire stores ever again.
If you don't mind sharing, what types of negative experiences brought you to this conclusion?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One downside to purchase over the Internet from a supplier is the age of the tires they ship you.

Mine were over 1 year old from date stamp. . Supplier (don't want to mention name) said they were stored inside in climate controlled warehouse, no sun, so are new. Some truth to that. Me, I rather do one stop shopping tires for best after sales support, and supporting local shop.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
If you don't mind sharing, what types of negative experiences brought you to this conclusion?
I have a local Discount Tire store that treats me well, but I still watch them. Given the relationship has been established, I don't have to watch them quite as close. Since most people buy tires every four years or so, being in the shop 4-5 times a year gets noticed.

Another pro-tip: Tipping works. For track wheels the cost to mount and balance is $10 each, so 40 bucks. $10 to $20 to the guys breaking and mounting the tires goes a long way to keeping them careful and they really seem to appreciate it.

That said, all Discount Tire stores are individually managed and some are definitely better than others, so YMMV clearly applies. Plus it also helps that I don't care about the appearance of my track wheels. Over the years I've had them ruin center caps, scrape up rims I did care about, and one even dismounted a tire on a reverse drop center rim the wrong way - this was an expensive BBS three piece rim. Ended up tearing a stainless steel trim ring off in the process which luckily I was replacing anyway but if it had been a "good" wheel it would have been a freaking mess. However, the store I'm using now is good enough.

A long time ago I had a tire installer I really trusted. It was so nice just to get tires mounted without the drama. I paid more for him and it was worth it, but alas, he got an offer he couldn't refuse on his shop and closed up.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Discount Tire -- Say It Isn't So.