Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Recaro seat for a tall guy with a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Which Recaro seat for a tall guy with a helmet?

Hey all, I'm looking to do some HPDE in 2017 with my first event the PCA DE at MSR Houston in January.

With a helmet on I have to recline to fit, and even then it's close. FWIW I'm driving a GT350R.

I'm 6'4" and 215lbs with a longish torso (inseam is about 34"). Based on my research the Recaro Profi SPG XL is probably too big. Some recommend the Sparco Evo 2 Plus, but I like the idea of a Recaro to replace the Recaro.

Similarly sized guys, what would you recommend?

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 12-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots to consider here. Have you done DE before? If not, stick with the stock seat for a few events. A race seat without proper roll over protection is not great, and you need proper place to mount a 5 point belt. The height of the shoulder holes is key also, you have to have the right angle. You can definitely get a race seat lower than a stock seat to give you a bit more head room. There are lots of good seats out there, Recaro, Racetech, Sparxo, OMP, ..... The best thing to do is go out and try them out The Recaro XL is probably a bit wide for you, but the shoulder holes on the others might be too low.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Lots to consider here. Have you done DE before? If not, stick with the stock seat for a few events. A race seat without proper roll over protection is not great, and you need proper place to mount a 5 point belt. The height of the shoulder holes is key also, you have to have the right angle. You can definitely get a race seat lower than a stock seat to give you a bit more head room. There are lots of good seats out there, Recaro, Racetech, Sparxo, OMP, ..... The best thing to do is go out and try them out The Recaro XL is probably a bit wide for you, but the shoulder holes on the others might be too low.
Thanks for the tips. I've done 2 days at the Porsche Sport Driving School. I fit 991s and 981s ok (but not great) with a helmet. I don't fit as well in the GT350R with a helmet.

I'm wondering if I could lower the seat by removing the adjustment mechanism. Or maybe cut some foam out of the bottom cushion.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

There won't be much difference in height of the seats, whatever model you chose. When you install the seat, put the rear bolts all the way at the bottom of the mounting bracket. Then install the front so you still have decent recline. If that's not low enough you can take two additional steps: 1) Pull the bottom cushions out of the seat or replace them with thinner cushions 2) Take out the sliding mechanism and bolt the seat directly to the car.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

This is a frequent topic in the Miata world for obvious reasons. The steps are basically what Frank said:

1. Thinner cushion in stock seat
2. No or minimal padding in stock seat
3. Race seat with thinner bottom/padding
4. Race seat mounted directly to the floor.

Surprised this is an issue in a car as big as a Mustang.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

OP, very important NOT to put in a race seat without a rollcage/rollbar especially for a tall guy like you. The seat would keep you straight and your head and spine pinned in a rollover cabin compression.

Find a reputable race shop to do all safety related mods in your car. There are many little things -- overlooked as banal by a novice amateur -- that could matter a lot (life vs death) in a crash.

Last edited by hf1; 12-25-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
OP, very important NOT to put in a race seat without a rollcage/rollbar especially for a tall guy like you. The seat would keep you straight and your head and spine pinned in a rollover cabin compression.
That is actually an excellent point.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Excellent advice, all. I very much appreciated the help. I'm learning

As I need to retain the use of my rear seats I don't think a roll bar is practical, so I'm going to see what I can do with the stock seats. I'll start by cutting some foam out of the bottom cushion and bolsters. I'm also thinking about getting a headliner from a wrecked Mustang and cutting a hole in it. I think and inch addition will make all the difference in seating position.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:22 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm 5'10'" 150 lbs and use SPG XL in my GT3, it's a bit loose in the shoulders and hips but still plenty snug enough for track driving and really comfortable for 3-4 hours road trips. There's no way that seat will be loose on you if you're 215 lbs. The regular SPG is really tight on me.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the OMP HTE R XL. I am 6' 3" with 34" inseam and 205lbs. It fits me well. You will some seats fit you loose but you will need the taller back for good belt path placement.

Best of luck.

- Chris
Old 01-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

check out Racetech RT4009 WTHR (wide tall head restraint), they also sell cushions of different thicknesses to adjust height (and relative location of harness holes)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:01 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Man
Hey all, I'm looking to do some HPDE in 2017 with my first event the PCA DE at MSR Houston in January.

With a helmet on I have to recline to fit, and even then it's close. FWIW I'm driving a GT350R.

I'm 6'4" and 215lbs with a longish torso (inseam is about 34"). Based on my research the Recaro Profi SPG XL is probably too big. Some recommend the Sparco Evo 2 Plus, but I like the idea of a Recaro to replace the Recaro.

Similarly sized guys, what would you recommend?
Check out Kirkey race seats. I am 6'5" and weigh 218 lbs. I purchased a 20 degree lay back seat with full halo containment

Quick Reply: Which Recaro seat for a tall guy with a helmet?