Sponsored by:

2x AiM SmartyCams $250 Each

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thx Peter! You're such an asset here.

Now I just need a way to make both the solo and the sc turn themselves on/of with the car's power.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx Peter! You're such an asset here.

Now I just need a way to make both the solo and the sc turn themselves on/of with the car's power.
Thanks. Chop the end off the lighter power cord that came with the Solo and buy the proper power cable for the SC and connect them both to key-on power.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Getting confused here. I thought the whole point of getting the old nonHD SC was becsuse it has its own internal gps and can be run by itself for video + data -- doesn't need the solo's gps. I only need the solo for the predictive lap timer -- happy to leave the data/video to the SC even if not connected to the solo. Both of the OP cameras were version W.06, btw.

Mine will be in a SPB.
If it is a newer unit or the way it's mounted requires it, you may need a GPS. If you do, I would advise upgrading your Solo to a DL versus the GPS antenna and a power cord.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Your statement above in bold is NOT true, Matt.

The GPS-08B antenna needed for ANY of the SmartyCams, old or new, is $149, not the $299 for GPS-08 for the display loggers. You should know this...

You get THE SAME INFO, including the GPS info and measures, from the original SmartyCams that you do from the Solo, so both are redundant.

If you have an older car (pre-2002 Porsche), you'll receive NO more data with the Solo DL than you do from the Solo. There is no way to connect the camera to a Solo.

If you have a newer car, you'll receive more data AND send power and GPS information to the SmartyCam from the Solo DL, but the Solo DL will need at least switched power from the car.
Peter - I made a mistake on the price, but the rest of what I wrote was correct. I'll edit the post.

The GPS-08b for the SC is $150. The cable for power would be $52. That's 2/3 of the way to a Solo DL upgrade assuming he can get $300 for his Solo (which he should be able to). Then he has one power connection and a single system, not 2 separate ones.

He will get the same data either way, but with less connections to the car, fewer points for failure, and they will share data, not duplicate it.

No need to make things overly complex inside a race car.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Matt, if I was going to get the soloDL then I would have gone the scHD route. The whole point of getting the old nonHD sc was about it being able to provide video + data as an independent unit cheaply. If I have to add a gps antena to it then, I agree, the equation worsens -- too many wires. I'll check when it arrives.

I'm giving SPB racing a try next sesson so want to thread lightly with non-performance-related equipment until I get a better feel if I'll stick with the car/class. After that I'll probably go with a mxl2/schd.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Matt, if I was going to get the soloDL then I would have gone the scHD route. The whole point of getting the old nonHD sc was about it being able to provide video + data as an independent unit cheaply. If I have to add a gps antena to it then, I agree, the equation worsens -- too many wires. I'll check when it arrives.

I'm giving SPB racing a try next sesson so want to thread lightly with non-performance-related equipment until I get a better feel if I'll stick with the car/class. After that I'll probably go with a mxl2/schd.
Keep in mind that you can always sell it for what you bought it for if it doesn't work out. From my experience these things are virtually bullet proof. Hope yours has the GPS.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Most do.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Chop the end off the lighter power cord that came with the Solo and buy the proper power cable for the SC and connect them both to key-on power.
Is the SC power cable just a microUSB to USB cable -- the USB end plugged into a car lighter to USB adapter?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No. On the Solo, it's an integrated cig lighter plug with an internal fuse to a 3-pin binder connector. Would NOT recommend using the mini USB port under the door for running power.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

No. On the Solo, it's an integrated cig lighter plug with an internal fuse to a 3-pin binder connector. Would NOT recommend using the mini USB port under the door for running power.
I agree with Peter.

For the SC it's a 7 pin to power cable. Check out this link as they are basically the same accessories for the standard def unit. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...ccessories.htm

Your choice is a cigarette plug, power leads, or power leads with a mic inline (http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...microphone.htm)
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I know about the Solo -- I've used it. Was asking about the smartycam I have arriving in the mail. The same?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I agree with Peter.

For the SC it's a 7 pin to power cable. Check out this link as they are basically the same accessories for the standard def unit. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...ccessories.htm

Your choice is a cigarette plug, power leads, or power leads with a mic inline (http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...microphone.htm)
Thx!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Got that camera (it has GPS and the firmware is up to date). Many thanks for the quick shipping!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And you'll have your power cable this coming week!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

So I got mine too. Looks good and nicely packaged. Thx OP!
R.W06
FW REL: 01.03.10.
IGPS nS: 0 L: 0
When I go to GPS Status in the menu it shows those changing search bars but looks like it can't find any satellites (I'm indoors). Does this mean it has the internal GPS?

What type and what max size SD card to use?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, internal GPS. Go outside. Load tracks using GPS Manager.

Max size is 32GB, for sure. Not critical because of standard definition.

Quick Reply: 2x AiM SmartyCams $250 Each