Sponsored by:

Why Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,617 Likes on 838 Posts

Yes, apologies for the typo.

IMO, using IR to take surface tire temps is not valuable. You want core temps across the tread. The only way to get those is with a probe pyrometer.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, apologies for the typo.

IMO, using IR to take surface tire temps is not valuable. You want core temps across the tread. The only way to get those is with a probe pyrometer.
There is a overwhelming and substantial data set and written literature to contradict your statement. While carcass temps are important, it's the surface that meets the road. There is a 1:1 correlation with optimum surface temp and overall grip.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,617 Likes on 838 Posts

My point was and is that a more accurate representation of tread temps is made just below the surface. I am not talking about the carcass. I am talking 1/4' to 1/2" in, which is where a probe will usually measure with proper use.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My point was and is that a more accurate representation of tread temps is made just below the surface. I am not talking about the carcass. I am talking 1/4' to 1/2" in, which is where a probe will usually measure with proper use.
I use both.. ive found, as long as I do the temp checks very quickly, I get near the same useful information... like hot pit measuring, but going into the paddock, (still only 1 min or say wait) , I like using the temp pin probe..... I just noticed your values.. 1/4 to 1/2"? you mean tread depth? in my tires, that would give me a puncture! with DOTs the meaningful temps values are at the surface and just below it. 2- 3 /32s is fine.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I hate to post more on this, but i was talking about the tire pressure changes with different gases (kind of an oxymoron discussion as we all know there is no differnce), but we all agreed that watervapor or water moisture in the tire at the time of mounting is critical. what you put in has to be dry too..........or does it?

my question is if you are on a hot day, high humidity and you fill your tire with the air pump. if the air with higher vapor content gets compressed, does the vapor condence into water? that is dependant on temp and pressure. as the air temp gets cooler , its ability to hold vapor is reduced, and certainly at higher pressures as well. so, if you are driving around town and you never get the tires very warm, its possible, the water vapor laiden air is not condencing, so does it follow gas law too, and the pressure rise vs temp increase is identical to dry air.... in other words i have forgoten, but is humid air and dry air the same as far as rate of expansion for a given temp /pressure increase?

the next logical way to look at this, is by looking at the condensation or the water brought in by the mounting procedure. since water vaporizes at 1700 times the volume, then that would increase pressure when that occured.. (on the track where the rim and tire air get over 200degrees F.) this is the main issue and it seems Nitrogen fill, if there is any water in the tire , its benefits get negated.

One other thing that has bugged me... i was critizised for my "math" but never corrected... anyone still wanting to play care to find the error that "that guy " found? as i see it......... you pressurize the tire with Nitrogen, and you need to fill it and empty it 2 times to get at least 90% Nitrogen . (vs the 10% air remaining.........even though that "air" has 80% already...not the point as we are talking/caring about the vapor content. fill the tire to 15psi and its half air and half Nitrogen.(or dry air). fill it to 30psi, and now its 75% nitrogen and 25% air................ deflate and try again and you start with 25% air , at 15psi you end up with 10% air and at 30psi around 5% of the original air.... there is your nitrogen fill math. feel free to correct
Old 12-02-2016, 04:21 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

"I hate to post more on this"........

Do you though? Do you?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
"I hate to post more on this"........

Do you though? Do you?
Do you have a problem with continuing a discussion. this list is a discussion. do you have an answer or comment for me, or do you just want the subject matter here to just go away, or be held in the archives like its a valuale research document.. it's not. Think of the list this way.. it's guys (and gals) in a bar, just talking. one guy that doesnt understand, says, "so whats the net net?" do you tell him to shut up or do you talk more..... welll, if you are late for dinner you just say, i cant talk now and leave.. or you stay and continue to discuss. can discussion lead to other topics.. sure........ this is human interaction, be human here , not an animal.
i do hate to bring it up, as in fear that someone like you would respond like you did with curious reasons behind it. how about this.. you have a problem some one, criticism of them personally, PM them. i for one would welcome private discussion as well.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:14 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I hate to post more on this, but i was talking about the tire pressure changes with different gases (kind of an oxymoron discussion as we all know there is no differnce), but we all agreed that watervapor or water moisture in the tire at the time of mounting is critical. what you put in has to be dry too..........or does it?

my question is if you are on a hot day, high humidity and you fill your tire with the air pump. if the air with higher vapor content gets compressed, does the vapor condence into water? that is dependant on temp and pressure. as the air temp gets cooler , its ability to hold vapor is reduced, and certainly at higher pressures as well. so, if you are driving around town and you never get the tires very warm, its possible, the water vapor laiden air is not condencing, so does it follow gas law too, and the pressure rise vs temp increase is identical to dry air.... in other words i have forgoten, but is humid air and dry air the same as far as rate of expansion for a given temp /pressure increase?

the next logical way to look at this, is by looking at the condensation or the water brought in by the mounting procedure. since water vaporizes at 1700 times the volume, then that would increase pressure when that occured.. (on the track where the rim and tire air get over 200degrees F.) this is the main issue and it seems Nitrogen fill, if there is any water in the tire , its benefits get negated.

One other thing that has bugged me... i was critizised for my "math" but never corrected... anyone still wanting to play care to find the error that "that guy " found? as i see it......... you pressurize the tire with Nitrogen, and you need to fill it and empty it 2 times to get at least 90% Nitrogen . (vs the 10% air remaining.........even though that "air" has 80% already...not the point as we are talking/caring about the vapor content. fill the tire to 15psi and its half air and half Nitrogen.(or dry air). fill it to 30psi, and now its 75% nitrogen and 25% air................ deflate and try again and you start with 25% air , at 15psi you end up with 10% air and at 30psi around 5% of the original air.... there is your nitrogen fill math. feel free to correct
Absolute pressure or gauge pressure?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscharu
Absolute pressure or gauge pressure?
pressure gauge. assuming when you mount the tire, the gauge says "0".
Old 12-03-2016, 12:10 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Easy cowboy. Even your complaints come in giant paragraphs. I was simply questioning if you truly hated to post more. I would like to call your bluff.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Do you have a problem with continuing a discussion. this list is a discussion. do you have an answer or comment for me, or do you just want the subject matter here to just go away, or be held in the archives like its a valuale research document.. it's not. Think of the list this way.. it's guys (and gals) in a bar, just talking. one guy that doesnt understand, says, "so whats the net net?" do you tell him to shut up or do you talk more..... welll, if you are late for dinner you just say, i cant talk now and leave.. or you stay and continue to discuss. can discussion lead to other topics.. sure........ this is human interaction, be human here , not an animal.
i do hate to bring it up, as in fear that someone like you would respond like you did with curious reasons behind it. how about this.. you have a problem some one, criticism of them personally, PM them. i for one would welcome private discussion as well.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Easy cowboy. Even your complaints come in giant paragraphs. I was simply questioning if you truly hated to post more. I would like to call your bluff.
yeah, i did hate to post it, because i was worried about the bored "Cowboy" tossing out the dig as you did... I thought the length of the response was warranted. obviously, you still dont get it, or you wouldnt post again with another insult. I wanted to continue to discuss, because i thought it was an interesting question related to the topic started. and your post? what was its purpose? make you feel better about , i don't know, something?

Quick Reply: Why Nitrogen?