Sponsored by:

Sebring DE Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016 | 07:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by triplenet
just figured lower lap times correlates somewhat with improved execution of skills ...

Its an addicting hobby and Sebring is just such an amazing experience - very cool track
FIFY. The ability is there...

Enjoy!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-08-2016 | 07:32 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will do ... Think the next event is sold out... but I will see u there....

If I don't see u - come stop by .... Just look for the blue 09 with the top down :-)

That blue color is awesome
Old 11-09-2016 | 08:15 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
+1

If I am new to a track I go to Rennpoints to see what the lap record is so I know where I am..
Good post. Ok, so help me understand how to correlate the groups and times. I am running a stock 981 Cayman S PDK except Nitto NT-01 and PFC-08 pads. With these pads, I was able to run a 2:29.01 personal best. How do you figure out how you rate when the times and groups are all over the place on Rennpoints?

I have been told by some DE instructors my car with a very experienced driver can turn 2:25. I know I can make up some time in some corners but not 4 seconds. How do you judge your level?

Edit: I looked at the PCA Club racing rules and saw my car would be most likely classed as GTB2 with a record of 2:14.6. I feel so far off that mark I don't know if a 300lb weight reduction would ever get me near 2:25.

Good thing I know how to fish.

Last edited by ElusiveDaveH; 11-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2016 | 08:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oh, boy... I'm at Daytona and they've kicked us out of the garages (normal curfew) so will write more later, but after spending nearly 210 days a year at the track working with drivers like you, I can say definitively that there is NO car that cannot be driven quicker by somebody else...

I can also say that while it is likely an experienced, confident and talented driver could do a 2:25, that driver is just another variable and that for YOU to get there, you will need detailed, fine-toothed OBJECTIVE analysis of what your are doing NOW, in order to determine opportunities for improvement and grading the multiplicity of areas found in order to prioritize how best you can improve...

David Tuaty or Chris Hall would be a good start...
Old 11-09-2016 | 10:07 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Oh, boy... I'm at Daytona and they've kicked us out of the garages (normal curfew) so will write more later, but after spending nearly 210 days a year at the track working with drivers like you, I can say definitively that there is NO car that cannot be driven quicker by somebody else...

I can also say that while it is likely an experienced, confident and talented driver could do a 2:25, that driver is just another variable and that for YOU to get there, you will need detailed, fine-toothed OBJECTIVE analysis of what your are doing NOW, in order to determine opportunities for improvement and grading the multiplicity of areas found in order to prioritize how best you can improve...

David Tuaty or Chris Hall would be a good start...
Peter, thank you for your reply. I don't know David or Chris. I would appreciate it if you could post or PM their contact info. Also please feel free to PM your info and when your schedule brings you to Sebring.

I know Ron and Eric Zitza. I have been hesitant in asking either to coach me since I feel I'm still on a "self awareness" learning curve since going advanced solo last year. I know where some of my weaknesses are on Sebring and thought I could work those out first before enlisting their instruction. Per your post, I assume you feel I should get instruction sooner than later and will look into it.

FYI, I agree with your statement regarding data analysis and have been slowly investing in moderately priced tools to review my sessions.
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Speak to Ron. Great guy and good resource. We've taught schools together for over a decade.

Will PM the rest. My post was not a criticism, it's full of hope! You'll get there.
Old 11-10-2016 | 08:33 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Searching around but didn't see anything ...

Just curious what kind of times people are doing on typical DE events ...

Should have asked people in the pits - but forgot ...

I recently did a 2:37 lap in the novice group (traffic) ....

Hoping to improve all around - need more seat time !!

Is there a web site that lists typical times at different skill levels ?

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Repeat after me, HPDE's are not timed events this may buy you some grace with your Insurance carrier... once.

Listen to your instructor, focus on safety & skills, and the laps times will come to you. Traffic congestion / wait for point-bys in Instructed run groups are such an impediment to clean lap times, your focus should be on skills and smoothness. When ready (solo'd a lot) start data collection (AIM Solo, etc.) so you can look at sector/segments to improve your skill. At some point if allowed by the organizer, have a pro lay down a "base" lap in your car to compare your data too. It will be humbling (and nerve racking letting someone else "run" your car on a track). But most of all, have fun! Last I checked, PCNA, Ganassi, & Penske have no driver openings, so it is all about the smiles per mile.

It's human nature to want to measure yourself in some objective way, that I get, and I'm still the new guy here so take whatever I say with a huge grain of salt, but I think I just went through (and am still going through!) a similar experience so hopefully my perspective can be of some help . . . or not

SO . . .

I would totally second the above comment and would emphasize that if there is any possibility of absorbing that advice you should try.

I just finished my second season on the track and my 28th track day. I consider myself exceptionally fortunate in that I had two distinct advantages over many DE drivers. One I was able to join a local private track club which afforded me more than 40 hours of track time with few if any cars on track other than my own. Second, as part of my membership I had access to professional instructors nearly every time I went to the track.

I know, I know . . . get to the point, right

The point is that I bought an AIM system and was comparing lap times constantly from the outset. In hindsight, that was pointless because I had so much to learn the times were really meaningless. Now when I go to the track I don't even turn on my AIM until I'm ready to run a couple "reference laps" for the day after I've practiced with my instructor and worked on the lesson of the day.

Here's a lesson I got from my most recent instructor that I feel is one step that may help you decide if you are ready to start worrying about lap time:

Close you eyes and drive one complete lap in your minds eye. First and most importantly do you know the line stone cold? Can you see every apex and turn in point? Do you know where the next flag station is? Can you visualize the view with your head turned looking ahead to the exit or to the next corner? Do you know where you're supposed to be braking? Do you know if the corner you're approaching is a 4 pedal or a 10 pedal? Should you trail brake into that corner? How is your car likely to react? Does it tend towards understeer or oversteer in that corner? Will you use maintenance throttle in the corner or will you be looking to get back to full throttle as soon as you can?

My point is it's not what you know it's what you don't know that is the issue. Go ahead and collect lap times, but as hard as it is try not to focus on that until you are fairly certain you have all the basics of car control and the nuances of the track set in your mind.

Like I said, I'm still the new guy so feel free to ignore this verbose diatribe. I am just hoping that something in that post proves helpful in accelerating your learning curve, but most of all just have fun

Last edited by JP66; 11-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 11:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElusiveDaveH
Good post. Ok, so help me understand how to correlate the groups and times. I am running a stock 981 Cayman S PDK except Nitto NT-01 and PFC-08 pads. With these pads, I was able to run a 2:29.01 personal best. How do you figure out how you rate when the times and groups are all over the place on Rennpoints?

I have been told by some DE instructors my car with a very experienced driver can turn 2:25. I know I can make up some time in some corners but not 4 seconds. How do you judge your level?

Edit: I looked at the PCA Club racing rules and saw my car would be most likely classed as GTB2 with a record of 2:14.6. I feel so far off that mark I don't know if a 300lb weight reduction would ever get me near 2:25.
GTB2 is not the right class to compare to for you. Your car in its current configuration fitted with Hoosier R7s would be classed in Stock I with minimum weight being close to stock weight. That track record was set this year and is 2:20.xxx, most likely by a Pro Racer. The good guys at the head of the grid in Stock I run sub 2:25 times. Get a data system and put a pro in the car and then figure out where the pro is faster than you by comparing data - that's a great way to figure out where your areas of improvement are.
Old 11-10-2016 | 11:36 AM
steved0x
Pro

What would be the class closest to a 2000 Boxster S, stock with M030 sport suspension, with Nitto NT-01? I am going to Sebring next weekend with Suncoast PCA and wondering what to compare with. Looks like Spec Boxster record there is 2:29'ish? That is with less HP, but less weight, better suspension, and better tires. Is there another class closer to a stock 2000 Boxster S?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-10-2016 | 11:54 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
What would be the class closest to a 2000 Boxster S, stock with M030 sport suspension, with Nitto NT-01? I am going to Sebring next weekend with Suncoast PCA and wondering what to compare with. Looks like Spec Boxster record there is 2:29'ish? That is with less HP, but less weight, better suspension, and better tires. Is there another class closer to a stock 2000 Boxster S?

Thanks

Steve
Steve, that's close to a Stock F Class car which has Hoosier R7s and better suspension at close to stock weight where the track record is 2:26.xxx. The fastest guys in that class are running sub 2:30s.
Old 11-10-2016 | 12:14 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
What would be the class closest to a 2000 Boxster S, stock with M030 sport suspension, with Nitto NT-01? I am going to Sebring next weekend with Suncoast PCA and wondering what to compare with. Looks like Spec Boxster record there is 2:29'ish? That is with less HP, but less weight, better suspension, and better tires. Is there another class closer to a stock 2000 Boxster S? Thanks Steve
I have a 2002 Boxster S with stock engine and Moton suspension, Gt3 control arms, and 2900 lb curb weight. Fastest pro time in my car is Chris Hall who put down a 2:31 in ideal cool weather conditions with Hoosier R7's. I usually run mid to high 2:30's and my best recorded lap is 2:32. When I work with a pro, my lap times go way down. When I've not worked with a pro in a while, lap times edge up. For some reason, continued coaching is required to keep me running my fastest.
Old 11-10-2016 | 12:26 PM
steved0x
Pro

Great, thank you Frank. I have a ways to go, I am still in the high 2:50 range, but it has been a while since I was at Sebring and hopefully I have learned some things and advanced my driving, so we'll see how it goes. I am there for 3 days so hopefully will get to run a lot of laps. Friday and Saturday is instructor school/solo drivers only, so hopefully lots of clear track and sessions (don't know the schedule yet). Sunday is regular full DE schedule with instructed groups, so probably 4 sessions there.
Old 11-10-2016 | 12:38 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I did a 2:36 in my non-S cabrio with stock seats, stock belts, and Sport Cup's on it... I've been working on improving my times from session to session and event to event.

I feel like for ME - I'm improving and running about where I think I should be given my relatively limited experience. I'm getting more and more comfortable - but about to start all over again with a different car that has seats, belts, and a cage.

I use local folks in similar cars as my benchmark - but also keep track of my improvements.
Old 11-10-2016 | 01:33 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

I run 2:27.6 in my stock F class and this was my 2nd time ever at sebring.

My F class had trouble all year long with suspension and brakes.

Im 1 sec off track record and im confident i would break it if i could race there again with the F.

Track record was done in 2009 by cory jump, no clue whos the guy.
Old 11-11-2016 | 10:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

D.E Best I have personally seen:

997.1 GT3 in low 2:20's
997.2RS in high teens.
GT4 street car in the mid 20's
991RS 2:17

Turbo Cab on R compund tires benchmark would have to be at least in the low 20s depending on brakes and suspension given its straight line speed?

Quick Reply: Sebring DE Lap Times