Sponsored by:

Sebring DE Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sebring DE Lap Times

Searching around but didn't see anything ...

Just curious what kind of times people are doing on typical DE events ...

Should have asked people in the pits - but forgot ...

I recently did a 2:37 lap in the novice group (traffic) ....

Hoping to improve all around - need more seat time !!

Is there a web site that lists typical times at different skill levels ?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Not generally. Too many different cars/driver experience levels/prep and mod levels...

Best thing to do is to track your own progress. And don't worry too much if you get stuck. Just deconstruct what you're doing and improve the level of fundamental skill executions and you'll break through again.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not generally. Too many different cars/driver experience levels/prep and mod levels...

Best thing to do is to track your own progress. And don't worry too much if you get stuck. Just deconstruct what you're doing and improve the level of fundamental skill executions and you'll break through again.
I am really enjoying the learning experience and instruction ..

Finally set up my car for track days (seats, roll bar, Hans, etc) and that alone increased my confidence level tremendously ... And reduced my lap times by :15...

Excited for the next track day

Old 11-08-2016, 12:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Congrats!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:08 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

I concur with Pete in fact try to do a couple of events without checking track times just enjoy and learn then check times at next event after not looking for awhile. If you want some idea of Sebring lap times for your model of Porsche go to PCA.COM look up race history results for Sebring there you can get a ball park lap time factor in these are race car lap times but gives you some idea of possibilities.
Rich
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Imola74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what it's worth I put in a 2:44 in my Golf R at my first ever DE, so you should have no problem being in low 2:30's? (what do I know, I'm a complete novice). I'm headed to Sebring for my second time this weekend and will shoot for 2:39..but I continue remind myself isn't a race or a competition, just a DE.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Enjoy the experience!

Lap times are a VERY broad brush way to measure your progress. Instead, buy yourself an AIM Solo and set yourself min speed and other goals for particular sections of the track. Lap times will then improve very consistently.

You can check PCA Track Records and their history here:

http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecor...***=&session=7
Old 11-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I didn't think about lap times for the first year. How did you do on looking ahead? seeing flag stations? Seeing faster cars behind you? Managing traffic? Driving the line?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Agreed, Thundermoose!

Developing situational awareness (360 degree awareness, thanks Ron Zitza) and the ability to keep your eyes up and moving should be the priority, then perfecting braking, turning and acceleration, all while maintaining pinpoint accuracy...
Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Focus on skills and the laps times will come.

Repeat after me, HPDE's are not timed events this may buy you some grace with your Insurance carrier... once.

Listen to your instructor, focus on safety & skills, and the laps times will come to you. Traffic congestion / wait for point-bys in Instructed run groups are such an impediment to clean lap times, your focus should be on skills and smoothness. When ready (solo'd a lot) start data collection (AIM Solo, etc.) so you can look at sector/segments to improve your skill. At some point if allowed by the organizer, have a pro lay down a "base" lap in your car to compare your data too. It will be humbling (and nerve racking letting someone else "run" your car on a track). But most of all, have fun! Last I checked, PCNA, Ganassi, & Penske have no driver openings, so it is all about the smiles per mile.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Once you've been promoted to solo, hire a pro coach like Peter or VRaptor. That will give you the most improvement in lap times. I dropped 15 seconds off my Sebring time the first weekend working with a pro coach. Combo of me being kind of bad to begin with and the coach being very helpful. :-)
Old 11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Enjoy the experience!

Lap times are a VERY broad brush way to measure your progress. Instead, buy yourself an AIM Solo and set yourself min speed and other goals for particular sections of the track. Lap times will then improve very consistently.

You can check PCA Track Records and their history here:

http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecor...***=&session=7

+1

If I am new to a track I go to Rennpoints to see what the lap record is so I know where I am.

That being said, I also agree with Frank about the pure worth of lap times. The temperature, humidity, track temperate, tire type, tire conditions, set up, traffic, etc., all can vary and affect your time.

Most of my personal best laps occurred when the air was cool (maybe 55 F) and the sun was out heating the track.

But finally, if this is your first year, concentrate on getting smooth and the fast lap times will come to you.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 PM
triplenet
Pro

Thanks for the info guys... I am enjoying the learning process - just figured lower lap times correlates somewhat into improved ability ...

Certainly focused on getting better and more personalized instruction as I progress ...

Its an addicting hobby and Sebring is just such an amazing experience - very cool track
Old 11-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

If you happen to be at the Chin/Sebring event next month, stop by the Zotz tent and say hi. You can't miss Boxzilla
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM
triplenet
Pro

Will do ... Think the next event is sold out... but I will see u there....

If I don't see u - come stop by .... Just look for the blue 09 with the top down :-)

Quick Reply: Sebring DE Lap Times