Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to see attend a 2017 European endurance race. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Want to see attend a 2017 European endurance race. Which one?

Planning a trip to Europe next year and want to include an endurance race… which one?

Wife and I used to travel for tennis grand slam events but we've been to all 4 locations and I’m falling out of tennis recently. Lisa suggested we plan our trip around one of the endurance races this past weekend. Really??? Yes, she’s a fantastic wife.

So, having vacationed in the major European cities in the past (Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona, London, Dublin), we’d like to find something maybe in Germany or Austria. Thought about LeMans but would prefer to travel to a country we haven’t visited in the past.

I checked the 2017 FIA World Endurance locations and nothing jumps out at me. We’ve done F1 (Monaco and Montreal) and don’t like the very limited fan access compared to the IMSA events here in the states. We typically travel in late May for our anniversary but any endurance event within a month either way would work as well. Would likely be away 7-12 days.

So….Has anyone attended any of the European endurance events they’d recommend?

Last edited by Spinout; 11-07-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd say Le Mans, but since you've been to France before, I'd highly recommend the 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium. Beautiful area, big show, cool cars and lots of entertainment. Accommodations might be a little difficult depending how long you wait to find them, but it'd be at the top of my list.

Also, I had a wonderful time in Austria this year racing at the Red Bull Ring. My expectations weren't high going in, but that's the only place I raced this year where I'd seriously consider going back just for vacation without any racing. It was beautiful, the people were super nice and the roads were awesome. Of course, I'm not sure if there's any big endurance races there in 2017, but I know ELMS will have one of their 4 Hour races at the track.

-mike
Old 11-07-2016, 02:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Spa, for sure...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

WEC will run the 6 hours of Spa on May 6 2017.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout

I checked the 2017 FIA World Endurance locations and nothing jumps out at me.
Never attended any except in dreamstate but don't see how you could go wrong at Spa or the 'Ring (in July; though it's out of your timeframe if at all possible I'd find a way).....

Gary
Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I'd say Le Mans, but since you've been to France before, I'd highly recommend the 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium. Beautiful area, big show, cool cars and lots of entertainment. Accommodations might be a little difficult depending how long you wait to find them, but it'd be at the top of my list.

Also, I had a wonderful time in Austria this year racing at the Red Bull Ring. My expectations weren't high going in, but that's the only place I raced this year where I'd seriously consider going back just for vacation without any racing. It was beautiful, the people were super nice and the roads were awesome. Of course, I'm not sure if there's any big endurance races there in 2017, but I know ELMS will have one of their 4 Hour races at the track.

-mike
European Le Mans series will be at the Red Bull Ring on July 23rd. ELMS will also be at Paul Richard on August 27th - so if you want to tie in a vacation in Provence!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

OP following up:

July in Austria/RBR sounds much better than early May in Belgium/Spa where average early May temps are in the upper 50s. We've always wanted to see the sights and castles in Austria so this just may be the ticket.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LeMans or bust. The French countryside is beautiful and nothing like Paris and you won't be able to get anywhere near F1 cars. You can at LeMans and there's the parade on Friday. It's a spectacle like no other
Old 11-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Jens L
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I would also include the 24h on the Ring to that list.
http://www.24h-rennen.de

A very special thing.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Spa is a phenomenal track and great race but is that good from a spectator standpoint? It seems a bit remote and the weather is often sketchy. How easy is it to move around the track as a spectator and is there much else in the way of attractions in the area?

Quick Reply: Want to see attend a 2017 European endurance race. Which one?