Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Want to see attend a 2017 European endurance race. Which one? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/961656-want-to-see-attend-a-2017-european-endurance-race-which-one.html)

Spinout 11-07-2016 02:02 PM

Want to see attend a 2017 European endurance race. Which one?

Planning a trip to Europe next year and want to include an endurance race… which one?

Wife and I used to travel for tennis grand slam events but we've been to all 4 locations and I’m falling out of tennis recently. Lisa suggested we plan our trip around one of the endurance races this past weekend. Really??? Yes, she’s a fantastic wife.

So, having vacationed in the major European cities in the past (Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona, London, Dublin), we’d like to find something maybe in Germany or Austria. Thought about LeMans but would prefer to travel to a country we haven’t visited in the past.

I checked the 2017 FIA World Endurance locations and nothing jumps out at me. We’ve done F1 (Monaco and Montreal) and don’t like the very limited fan access compared to the IMSA events here in the states. We typically travel in late May for our anniversary but any endurance event within a month either way would work as well. Would likely be away 7-12 days.

So….Has anyone attended any of the European endurance events they’d recommend?

fleadh 11-07-2016 02:17 PM

I'd say Le Mans, but since you've been to France before, I'd highly recommend the 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium. Beautiful area, big show, cool cars and lots of entertainment. Accommodations might be a little difficult depending how long you wait to find them, but it'd be at the top of my list.

Also, I had a wonderful time in Austria this year racing at the Red Bull Ring. My expectations weren't high going in, but that's the only place I raced this year where I'd seriously consider going back just for vacation without any racing. It was beautiful, the people were super nice and the roads were awesome. Of course, I'm not sure if there's any big endurance races there in 2017, but I know ELMS will have one of their 4 Hour races at the track.

-mike

ProCoach 11-07-2016 02:24 PM

Spa, for sure...

Wild Weasel 11-07-2016 02:32 PM

WEC will run the 6 hours of Spa on May 6 2017.

gbuff 11-07-2016 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spinout (Post 13729771)

I checked the 2017 FIA World Endurance locations and nothing jumps out at me.

Never attended any except in dreamstate :p but don't see how you could go wrong at Spa or the 'Ring (in July; though it's out of your timeframe if at all possible I'd find a way).....

Gary

brake dust 11-14-2016 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fleadh (Post 13729810)
I'd say Le Mans, but since you've been to France before, I'd highly recommend the 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium. Beautiful area, big show, cool cars and lots of entertainment. Accommodations might be a little difficult depending how long you wait to find them, but it'd be at the top of my list.

Also, I had a wonderful time in Austria this year racing at the Red Bull Ring. My expectations weren't high going in, but that's the only place I raced this year where I'd seriously consider going back just for vacation without any racing. It was beautiful, the people were super nice and the roads were awesome. Of course, I'm not sure if there's any big endurance races there in 2017, but I know ELMS will have one of their 4 Hour races at the track.

-mike

European Le Mans series will be at the Red Bull Ring on July 23rd. ELMS will also be at Paul Richard on August 27th - so if you want to tie in a vacation in Provence!

Spinout 11-14-2016 06:43 PM

OP following up:

July in Austria/RBR sounds much better than early May in Belgium/Spa where average early May temps are in the upper 50s. We've always wanted to see the sights and castles in Austria so this just may be the ticket.

morsini 11-14-2016 08:21 PM

LeMans or bust. The French countryside is beautiful and nothing like Paris and you won't be able to get anywhere near F1 cars. You can at LeMans and there's the parade on Friday. It's a spectacle like no other

Jens L 11-15-2016 09:06 AM

Hi, I would also include the 24h on the Ring to that list.
http://www.24h-rennen.de

A very special thing.

Nizer 11-15-2016 09:17 AM

Spa is a phenomenal track and great race but is that good from a spectator standpoint? It seems a bit remote and the weather is often sketchy. How easy is it to move around the track as a spectator and is there much else in the way of attractions in the area?