Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in a dealership brake flush?

Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Not sure where the hostility is coming from. Brakes are brakes and not a whole lot difference between them even compared to most Porsch-As. I thought we were talking about brake bleeding for the track.

Sure, there are two in the front, but the second one is so quick it almost doesn't count. Bleed the outside one first, as fluid enters the back. Move the hose, crack the inside one for a few seconds and done - all you are doing there is removing the fluid from the middle of the back caliper to the top. The calipers, and even the brake lines don't hold much, the bulk of the fluid is in the MC.

It helps to keep up on the fluid maintenance so one doesn't have to be so picky. A little bit of six month old fluid in the system, so what? It's a lot better than leaving a little bit of 2 year old fluid in there.

-Mike
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

No hostility. The OP is talking about a Porsche. Just figured that anybody who answered would be OCD enough to discuss that mark and list instructions that wouldn't confuse the uninitiated. To me not listing the second bleeder is ..... lets just say I'm OCD and would've listed it when providing instructions as well as which order.

From your answer I now know that your rears have 1 and the fronts 2 bleeders. I didn't know that before.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I guess I'm not that OCD, which is progress as somehow after high school I became a perfectionist and I've been working to correct ever since. I'd actually forgotten the fronts have two on this M3, as my other M3 only had one in the front.

I don't think the camera did the OP any favors. Without it, he likely would not have had any doubt. With it, and its Nixonian gap, he has doubt that short of doing the brake flush again, is difficult to overcome. That said, I don't use professional mechanic much at all because my track record with them has always been terrible. Nobody cares for your car like you will - the mechanic has to work on other peoples cars and eat too and compete with the other mechanics out there, some more honest than others.

-Mike
Old 11-09-2016, 12:49 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

inboard bleeders first, outboard bleeders second
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I don't think the camera did the OP any favors. Without it, he likely would not have had any doubt. With it, and its Nixonian gap, he has doubt that short of doing the brake flush again, is difficult to overcome. That said, I don't use professional mechanic much at all because my track record with them has always been terrible. Nobody cares for your car like you will - the mechanic has to work on other peoples cars and eat too and compete with the other mechanics out there, some more honest than others.
I sent this thread to my service adviser in response to her confirmation just so she knows why I'm asking. I think I'll talk to the actual tech in the spring though and just ask about the process, mentioning that I never actually see anything being done under the hood and asking him what steps he goes through.

I've mentioned it before... I've never had any reason to suspect they'd lie to me. I've got a good relationship there so far as I know.

I VERY much appreciate all the input here guys!! I'll dig this thread back up in the spring if I get any new info that I think will be helpful.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

dealer is 100% full of ****.

No way in hell that they could have hooked up a power bleeder, flushed all 4 brake lines, and adjusted the fluid level in 7 minutes. And thats assuming they hooked up the bleeder literally the second the dash cam turned off. Not even if they opened bleeders on all the wheels at the same time.

They are LYING to you, as most dealers do.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

No way in hell that they could have hooked up a power bleeder, flushed all 4 brake lines, and adjusted the fluid level in 7 minutes. And thats assuming they hooked up the bleeder literally the second the dash cam turned off. Not even if they opened bleeders on all the wheels at the same time.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Yep, I could have the car in the air with the wheels off and it takes way more than 7 minutes to bleed the brakes using a Motive. Been following this thread for a bit just to see what the peeps have to say. If I were to guess, that brake bleed did not happen.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

Weasel,

The dealer is there to please you, not the other way around. So don't be afraid to push back if you're not 100% satisfied that they did the work properly.

As there appears to be continued doubt in your mind, I think you should ask them to do another brake flush with you present. If they refuse to do it gratis say thanks and get it done somewhere else. After all, you want total peace of mind if you're doing 130 mph on the front straight breaking hard for turn one!
Old 11-18-2016, 10:18 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Weasel,

The dealer is there to please you, not the other way around. So don't be afraid to push back if you're not 100% satisfied that they did the work properly.

As there appears to be continued doubt in your mind, I think you should ask them to do another brake flush with you present. If they refuse to do it gratis say thanks and get it done somewhere else. After all, you want total peace of mind if you're doing 130 mph on the front straight breaking hard for turn one!
+1
Old 11-18-2016, 07:50 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe Rosemary Woods works at the dealer and is responsible for the 7 minute gap in the tape?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:53 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Also, quite a coincidence if the work was done exactly timed during the 7 minute outage ....

Just sayin'
Old 11-22-2016, 04:25 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Yep, I could have the car in the air with the wheels off and it takes way more than 7 minutes to bleed the brakes using a Motive. Been following this thread for a bit just to see what the peeps have to say. If I were to guess, that brake bleed did not happen.
I like how everyone is talking about the Motive bleeder. Real mechanics use a machine that can send fluid through the whole system at once.
A quick google search shows a machine like this. The note also says you can do a flush in 10min. I'm sure there is a machine for the dual valves on each caliper. Also, Porsche probably turbo charged the machines the dealers use

http://www.toolpan.com/Mahle-BFX-2--...FZJMDQodenMNzQ
Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I like how everyone is talking about the Motive bleeder. Real mechanics use a machine that can send fluid through the whole system at once.
A quick google search shows a machine like this. The note also says you can do a flush in 10min. I'm sure there is a machine for the dual valves on each caliper. Also, Porsche probably turbo charged the machines the dealers use

http://www.toolpan.com/Mahle-BFX-2--...FZJMDQodenMNzQ
I'm keeping an open mind. I'll have a conversation with the tech in the spring to find out about how he did it.

If I thought they ripped me off I'd have posted the video publicly and cried foul. That wasn't my intention here. I just wanted opinions based on the experience.

I sincerely believe the work was done. I'm just in the dark as to HOW it was done.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I'm keeping an open mind. I'll have a conversation with the tech in the spring to find out about how he did it.

If I thought they ripped me off I'd have posted the video publicly and cried foul. That wasn't my intention here. I just wanted opinions based on the experience.

I sincerely believe the work was done. I'm just in the dark as to HOW it was done.

I dunno dude...all the evidence you have is contrary to the work being done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's involved in a dealership brake flush?