Sponsored by:

Got schooled by an instructor

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
,,,VISION...I try to ... tell them where Im looking.I believe vision is one the greatest tools we can teach.
Example look at my avatar!

I agree and I've found one of the most effective tools in my arsenal for instructing doesn't involve driving commands at all - it is literally just vision. Once there is a rudimentary understanding of gas, brake, and the concept of a line as well as establishing they listen I will often do this exercise with great results.

Before we go out I explain that all I'm going to do is tell them where to look and just follow through and drive. I will warn them if they make a big mistake, but we are going to focus on just vision. At first they are astonished at how far ahead I want them to look. They are also surprised when I tell them to use the side windows too. Once they are doing that well I turn the tables, now you drive and actively tell me where you are looking. At first that is mental overload for them, but they eventually get it. It is a fun and rewarding exercise to do with good students and it allows me to stop instructing and coach instead. Plus, if the student does it well, they are positively hauling *** at the end of the session.

Like that cliche about real estate, location, location, location. Driving is all about vision, vision, and vision.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

^^ that is awesome!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

I agree and I've found one of the most effective tools in my arsenal for instructing doesn't involve driving commands at all - it is literally just vision. Once there is a rudimentary understanding of gas, brake, and the concept of a line as well as establishing they listen I will often do this exercise with great results.

Before we go out I explain that all I'm going to do is tell them where to look and just follow through and drive. I will warn them if they make a big mistake, but we are going to focus on just vision. At first they are astonished at how far ahead I want them to look. They are also surprised when I tell them to use the side windows too. Once they are doing that well I turn the tables, now you drive and actively tell me where you are looking. At first that is mental overload for them, but they eventually get it. It is a fun and rewarding exercise to do with good students and it allows me to stop instructing and coach instead. Plus, if the student does it well, they are positively hauling *** at the end of the session.

Like that cliche about real estate, location, location, location. Driving is all about vision, vision, and vision.

-Mike
Excellent stuff! Even as solo driver, saying out loud where you are looking would be extremely helpful.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Years ago on a wet skidpad I had an instructor tell me to look out the side windows while we were spinning (!) to keep seeing where I needed to go.....vision is indeed one of the most powerful tools available and it also carries over to driving on the street (moreso now than ever with all these ***** texting while driving etc). Been tracking for 20 years and STILL yell at myself to LOOK UP and LOOK AHEAD!! It still amazes me how if you look where you want to go, you'll automatically adjust any driving inputs to get you there.

Gary
Old 12-11-2016, 12:17 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Will do!

Quick Reply: Got schooled by an instructor