Sponsored by:

Got schooled by an instructor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Got schooled by an instructor

Last week I was at Willow Springs for a HPDE, first time on that track. On tracks I have experience with I run with the advanced group, truth be told I have been thinking I’m getting very good – the main reason others are faster than me is due to the cars more than the drivers.

On the last session of the day, a driving instructor offered to go out with me. We had been discussing some of the quirks of the track earlier and I wasn’t getting one or two corners. We go out and he talks me through those corners, no big deal.

He then offered to drive my car. The track was relatively empty so I agreed. I was definitely humbled and not far off from humiliated. I’m not saying it’s smart to have someone else risking your car, but lord almighty it was educational. Not only was he able to show better lines, he demonstrated momentum lines vs. high horsepower lines. Even more was throttle steering; he even complained about the PDK because he liked holding in higher gears to make the throttle less sensitive.

Because it was my car there were no excuses about him being a better driver. Bottom line is that in one lap watching him I learned more than 10 laps of him trying to tell me from the passenger seat.

Aside from the reality check, I like that I have so much more to learn. This is so much more of a subtle skill set than people realize.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,090 Posts

A good instructor can get into any car and go faster than a good student -- it's just part of their experience with different cars/tracks. Also Willow Springs may seem easy and a power track because it has a 1/2 mile straight and only 9 corners but it is neither easy to master nor impossible for a great driver in a low hp car to keep up with good drivers in much more powerful cars
Old 11-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I once let a pro driver drive my car. Very impressive what the car can do when you aren't afraid of wrecking it!
I was even more humbled when he said he was driving at about 7/10ths.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I once let a pro driver drive my car. Very impressive what the car can do when you aren't afraid of wrecking it!
I was even more humbled when he said he was driving at about 7/10ths.
Yep, been there done that, unforgettable experience.

I took my newbie student for a ride last weekend and his comment was he couldn't believe the grip my car had. Had to break it to him that most of that "grip" was me as 99% of the performance is due to the nut behind the wheel. For all his awe of my driving, I didn't break it to him that there were other instructors around there I feel the same way about. It's all about perspective.

-Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the best ways to reach a student is to take them for a ride. This not only allows them to focus on what I want them to see but also to FEEL it.
Lots of kinesthetic learners out there that especially benefit from it.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:00 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
One of the best ways to reach a student is to take them for a ride. This not only allows them to focus on what I want them to see but also to FEEL it.
+1 most of it is by feel, which makes it so incredible.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always loved having an instructor drive our car. Even though they don't go "flat out" I get to feel what the car is capable of, and realize what it can do when my skills get closer to theirs. Having someone in the right seat of your car is great, and going for a ride in a higher group in their car is "exciting", but there's nothing like watching them drive your car, and just watching and feeling the inputs. There is so much to learn in this obsession...
"Tell me " helps, but "show me" speeds up the learning. One of my best ski coaches was fresh from the French Olympic team and hardly spoke any English. All I had to do was watch and mimic his technique, no words were necessary. I also value the instructors feedback on the car setup. All in all I've learned a lot from each of my PCA instructors and appreciate their courage and willingness to hop in a car with a beginner. I always try to show my appreciation. We all owe them a lot!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

I dont know if its due to my age 28yo and 1st year as instructor or lack of experience. But im shy to drive a student car.

Im white mentor group, i can haul a car easily but i dont feel good when people ask me to drive their car, so i dont.

I jump in all run group cars and like to help in the passenger seat.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:19 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Best learning experience was riding with an instructor in his car when I was a beginner and mucking up in my car when he was riding with me prior session. Best lesson ever!!! Mike
Old 11-05-2016, 04:52 AM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Best learning experience was riding with an instructor in his car when I was a beginner and mucking up in my car when he was riding with me prior session. Best lesson ever!!! Mike
I totally agree with this. For some reason, I learn best by example. I still remember riding with my instructor in his Miata vividly. I actually ended up selling my corvette and buying his Miata form him.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:33 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
agree, however I have gotten myself in trouble with that by taking students out in my car and they try and duplicate the feel in their car, which isnt nearly as capable. I have to give them dire warnings that their car cant do what mine can, even if Im taking it easy. I try not to drive a students car unless they are REALLY stuggling to pick up concepts. And even then only if they ask.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
agree, however I have gotten myself in trouble with that by taking students out in my car and they try and duplicate the feel in their car, which isnt nearly as capable. I have to give them dire warnings that their car cant do what mine can, even if Im taking it easy. I try not to drive a students car unless they are REALLY stuggling to pick up concepts. And even then only if they ask.
I agree.

I remember my very first event. After the 3rd session, the instructor offered to take my car out with me in the right hand seat. He suggested (and this sounds even more crazy in hindsight) to hold a camera one hand while he drove to video tape what he was doing. After the first turn, I abandoned that idea as I needed both hands to hold on. He really was able to demonstrate the cars capabilities and what he was trying to teach me. That part was good.

However, when I went out in the 4th session, I tried to replicate his speed and sharpness without the experience and skill to go with it. Fortunately, I was using TC and the car never went off or spun, but the TC light was flashing the entire time and when I came in smoke was coming out of all four wheels and brakes.

I think if I was intermediate the ride along might have been helpful. Or maybe at the end of the day so I wouldn't have had a chance to go out after him. Or maybe if he'd dialed it back to 1/10 more than what I was doing and just focused on line and braking points.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wanna911
Completely agree with this. Choose which students to apply this to, caution them about not taking giant steps, drive well under capacity (assuming novice students), and don't send them out solo for their next run.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Last time I took a person for a ride he immediately wrecked his car the next session out
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Last time I took a person for a ride he immediately wrecked his car the next session out
Ouch - how did he write you up on driver eval?

Quick Reply: Got schooled by an instructor