Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Journey into Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice reading your journey! The first time I did a track day, I was like this can't be legal. It's too much fun!!!!!

-Jason
Old 11-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to read about your trials and tribulations and your humble explanations. I applaud your approach and your determination. Nice story Slakker.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure your Rennlist name is appropriate. You are not exactly a Slakker.

I think you did well for your first race weekend. Give me a call tonight and send me your video files.

Tim

coopers66 at aol dot com

Last edited by Tim Webb; 11-02-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: dropped a word
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Cool stuff for sure! Congrats on getting this far!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The obvious efforts that went into your car prep, Slakker, and your driving also look to have gone into a great write-up, so thanks for that good read. Racing is super-addictive like you say (if that high ever subsides I'm yet to get to that point), and early lessons learned are among the most valuable. Not just to yourself, but also to me and probably to others.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:19 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Very nice writeup! Im in the same situation, Its the middle of winter and I am just finishing my cage..Cant Wait till that 1st race!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Pretty sure your endplates on your wing are upside down.

Nice story. racing is definitely a drug. Once you start, you know what you will be doing the rest of your life!
ha ha. yes, turn the endplates around! their function is to keep the lower pressure zone on the bottom from getting polluted by higher pressure air, containing wing tip vortecies and making the wing more efficient.

nice story... glad to hear you are "hooked"..... have fun and be safe!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Im in the same situation, Its the middle of winter and I am just finishing my cage..Cant Wait till that 1st race!
Awesome! What are you building?

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ha ha. yes, turn the endplates around! their function is to keep the lower pressure zone on the bottom from getting polluted by higher pressure air, containing wing tip vortecies and making the wing more efficient.
I definitely felt like a dork after that was pointed out but at least it was an easy fix.

Bringing this up did make me think of a silly theoretical question for you though. Would there ever be an advantage to installing a wing upside down and using it to create lift? Not that I would ever do it but in my case where 65% of my weight is in the rear, is there a specific type of corner where lift would be an advantage?
Old 01-20-2017, 02:05 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
...Would there ever be an advantage to installing a wing upside down and using it to create lift? ...
Ok my day job is an aero engineer working on old fighter jets so I had to laugh... your wing IS upside down, that's why it creates negative lift!!

But sorry, I have nothing constructive to say, just posted to give you a hard time
Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Hahaha! Good poke, ace37. Slakker, in the data world, you are looking for "downforce," and fighting against "lift," so no. There are other ways to "unstick" either end more effectively and in pursuit of a more balanced car than introducing a condition the wing (and the car body shape) is designed to combat.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! Good poke, ace37. Slakker, in the data world, you are looking for "downforce," and fighting against "lift," so no. There are other ways to "unstick" either end more effectively and in pursuit of a more balanced car than introducing a condition the wing (and the car body shape) is designed to combat.
No but it would be interesting to see how far dynamic aero could go if it were legal. F1 has seen some ingenious solutions to push the envelope of the rules. Imagine what could be achieved with no limitations. Dynamic lateral forces?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:09 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Nice write up!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh actually this might be interesting to you... while lift is undesirable in road racing, wings that offer high downforce often bring a penalty in added drag. One of the common causes of high drag is the use of aggressive wing angles of attack. When you set the same wing about flat relative to the airflow you'll typically get a great deal less drag than when you set it at 20-30 degrees for lots of downforce. Also, the drag penalty matters most at high speeds.

So so what quite a few clever race teams have done to gain an advantage (typically cheating) is use carefully selected wing materials that let the wing flex a bit at speed. Flex meaning the wind bends the wing shape to be a bit flatter at high speed, and the team usually has a good idea about how much this happens and at what speeds. Ergo lower high speed drag and still high low speed downforce in the moderate and low speed corners. Usually this is very subtle and hard to catch so it goes on for a while before being banned under movable aerodynamic device rules.

(Note that while movable aero devices are usually banned in competitive racing, this may be perfectly legal in a few small/minimally regulated club racing classes.)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

[QUOTE=Slakker;13896440]Awesome! What are you building?

I am building an 88 944 Turbo-s. Ive always wanted to race in the club but never was at a point in life where I could do it.. Now I am. I am just loving fabricating, I stuck with this model because Im very familiar with it and after having so many of these cars have acquired enough spares to support going racing. That being said, All of the stuff I have is geared toward super fast street. So This summer I will get my Racing licence by way of a couple more DE's and have my 400hp street motor in it with a standalone. That will give me time to go through a "Stock" engine and race next year. Im taking my time to make the car look Very professional. including re-upholstering the dash to match the car color scheme. I finished fabricating and welding the hood hinge pockets last night, ( had to move them 3/4" over to make room for the A pillar roll bars) I didn't want my bars in front of the dash. Anyhow... Ill put a post up when I am finished in a couple of months that way it is a straight read-through.. but here is a quick pic of the door bars fitted.

Quick Reply: My Journey into Racing