Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Points Championship rules proposals

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

How about separate the two and have a sprint series and enduro series. Score points for the sprint series in both races. Add a few longer enduro's and don't penalize by splitting points for adding co drivers.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Enduro should worth more points in my books than the sprint.

Tire management, traffic, fatigue...

Less points for 2 drivers as asual.
I agree but again, Lime Rock ends up being worth less so it will never happen. I had a lot of fun at LRP and I will go back but it's a shame that this tail wags the whole PCA dog. Why not start on Thursday?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not sure I follow the logic of Lime Rock determining our entire points system. Why does it matter that there are only two races? If it is one of your best it counts whether it's at Lime Rock, Summit, Daytona or wherever.

If You are relying on Lime Rock to win the championship it will never happen anyway.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:31 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
I'm not sure I follow the logic of Lime Rock determining our entire points system. Why does it matter that there are only two races? If it is one of your best it counts whether it's at Lime Rock, Summit, Daytona or wherever.

If You are relying on Lime Rock to win the championship it will never happen anyway.
It wouldn't if they adopted the best two scenario as long as all races stay evenly weighted. It's only a problem if you try to either make all races count or make enduros worth more.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

The enduro thing notwithstanding it's still best 8 so whether a weekend has two or 3 points races doesn't really matter. If you are really trying to win the championship you are going to go to as many races as you can so you can so I'm still not sure I get the conundrum. A race is a race no matter where it is. If you goto 5 weekends of racing to get your 25 event points and LR is one of them them you've got 14 or 16 races (some events have 3 sprints and short enduro) to pick your best 8 from.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

The enduro thing notwithstanding it's still best 8 so whether a weekend has two or 3 points races doesn't really matter. If you are really trying to win the championship you are going to go to as many races as you can so you can so I'm still not sure I get the conundrum. A race is a race no matter where it is. If you goto 5 weekends of racing to get your 25 event points and LR is one of them them you've got 14 or 16 races (some events have 3 sprints and short enduro) to pick your best 8 from.
I agree but PCACR policy has always been that all race events should count the same. Then again, I went to 5 races as usual and still didn't get my 8 in. Not that it would have made a lot of difference.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I agree but PCACR policy has always been that all race events should count the same.
Then they should count everyone's best two results from each weekend and be done with it. Having no-points (just for fun?) races makes no sense.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I agree but PCACR policy has always been that all race events should count the same. Then again, I went to 5 races as usual and still didn't get my 8 in. Not that it would have made a lot of difference.
Even better reason for all of them to count. You would have gotten your 8 even with a few DNF's which happen.

And you're still the dominant zone 2 champion of 2016!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Even better reason for all of them to count. You would have gotten your 8 even with a few DNF's which happen.

And you're still the dominant zone 2 champion of 2016!
Yes I am. When do the grid girls arrive?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Another reason to make all races count is that many people treat the first sprint race as just another qualifier, put down their fast lap, and pull off. That's not a race!

Here is another rules proposal -

If you break a lap record your car gets checked out by the scrutes.

Its amazing how some classes have received a lot of attention this year and people are getting busted. Its proof that there is cheating out there. I would like to believe that at least a small portion is unintentional errors but there are some people who actually go to bed at night feeling good about themselves when they won something by cheating.

I think this rule would keep people honest.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

If you break a lap record your car gets checked out by the scruts.
Totally agree. Although, I think this could be hard to manage for the Scrut's as there are a lot of class's and a lot of cars. This would require timing and scoring to give the heads up to the Scrut's a record was broken.

As someone who doesn't do sprints because of medical reason's, I never have a chance of being a national champion just doing sprints. Any system that could equalize the way sprints and enduro's rank in points would get my support as it's likely I will never be able to get in the car for the length of a sprint.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

1) ALL races count for points no matter how many races are run on a given weekend. 2, 3 or 4, whatever. ***Fun race doesn't count.

2) Best of ANY 10 races for the Championship.

3) 1 (one) point for every car you beat that started the race (not limited to 10 points, nor limited to finishers).

4) Anyone caught cheating is presumed to have been cheating for the whole year and all races are DQ'ed.

5) 1 (one) point for new track record (must be during race).

EDIT 10.25.2016 8:34am:
Sorry, I assumed to keep this part - Racers who finish 1st in class will earn 10 points, 2nd 7 points, 3rd 5 points, 4th 4 points, 5th 3 points, 6th 2 points and 7th 1 point.

Last edited by GT3DE; 10-25-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE

3) 1 (one) point for every car you beat that started the race (not limited to 10 points, nor limited to finishers).
The problem with that is that a guy who goes to the big races and finishes middle of the pack would come out ahead of a guy who can only do smaller ones but finishes first in all of them.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
P1 and podiums should be rewarded by more than one point differential. Like:
P3 = P4 + 2
P2 = P3 + 4
P1 = P2 + 4

Winning a race should mean more (and count for more) than just finishing ahead of N cars.

The problem with that is that a guy who goes to the big races and finishes middle of the pack would come out ahead of a guy who can only do smaller ones but finishes first in all of them.
Agreed. Maybe having a fixed points system, regardless of # of entries, starting from p1, like: p1, p2, p3, ... = 30, 26, 22, 20, 19, 18,...,1 would also encourage more racers to go to the less attended races, making attendance more equal?

What's the current points system?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Who wants to spend 5-10k to a race where there is 50 cars registered?
Not me.... But some do.
I prefer the big races with lot of drivers for additionnal challenge.

Makes no sense to me to get 30 points in p1 when youre alone. I will attend all small races and win nat championship

Quick Reply: PCA Points Championship rules proposals