Sponsored by:

Contact Patch - What matters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johneecatt
And now for something completely different. Tried a bunch of things, but now I run a 235 up front and 315 rear. No exotic suspension tuning or camber - turns really quickly, tracks arrow straight and I rarely get a push condition...and on that rare occasion, can usually tune it out with tire pressures. Having meat in the rear is great though (significantly!!).
This

It is because the small tire in front has LESS contact patch and the car will turn in quicker and dart to the apex. Like a bicycle tire. And with the smaller tire/wheel the center of contact patch is pretty close to center of spinning axis. If you get this right and camber thrust is centered on the tire you will have loads of turning, really crisply, and if camber thrust is centered you will have loads of mid corner grip

camber is most important for turning, you want as much as possible to make the car turn and dart quickly (flat tire doesnt turn) and so that camber thrust centers on the tire contact patch. This will keep the sidewalls intact and supported.

This is the approach i take to setup.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
stretched sidewall is stiffer providing more feedback and preventing rolling the tire on its side.

I run wheels that are and inch wider than stock (9 and 11) with stock tire width (225 and 275). Actually rear is 10mm narrower than stock due to availability issue.

Of course the civic guys take this and neg camber to a whole new level-but those don't make it to track.
I had to go slightly stretched on my 930 because they just don't make re11's for a 10 inch rim (245 rated up to 9 inch or so)...

It works really well, and the 930 handles great. Seems to improve any tendency to oversteer...
Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
I had to go slightly stretched on my 930 because they just don't make re11's for a 10 inch rim (245 rated up to 9 inch or so)...

It works really well, and the 930 handles great. Seems to improve any tendency to oversteer...
that is a stretch....but im sure ok... a 305 fits a 10 perfectly, so i would think that the sidewalls would be angled out a bit. but its not a huge difference. a 275 which is the most common tire on a 10" rim and a 245 dont look that different at first glance, so thats probably fine! it actually can make the 245 a bit larger width-wise, so im sure it works well.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
This

It is because the small tire in front has LESS contact patch and the car will turn in quicker and dart to the apex. Like a bicycle tire. And with the smaller tire/wheel the center of contact patch is pretty close to center of spinning axis. If you get this right and camber thrust is centered on the tire you will have loads of turning, really crisply, and if camber thrust is centered you will have loads of mid corner grip

camber is most important for turning, you want as much as possible to make the car turn and dart quickly (flat tire doesnt turn) and so that camber thrust centers on the tire contact patch. This will keep the sidewalls intact and supported.

This is the approach i take to setup.
^ This.

You need to also think about sidewall height and stiffness since both play a role in contact patch (hint: think about rear tall sidewalls in 911s, and drag cars for that matter) as well as spring rate.

If you want to learn more about tires rather than just the rather limited notions of width, you should start by reading 'The Racing and High Performance Tire' by Haney.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

Tim and Matt nailed it IMO. This is why I ran skinny 235's all the way around in my old M3...and many here who have ridden in it at speed can attest to how readily it turned and how much mid corner grip it had
Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Tim and Matt nailed it IMO. This is why I ran skinny 235's all the way around in my old M3...and many here who have ridden in it at speed can attest to how readily it turned and how much mid corner grip it had
Many would argue that the step up to 245s on the M3 (your model) made them a LOT faster.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here we go....
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
Here we go....
no we dont. just wait... i wont say anything and everyone on 245s will change to 235s.. hehehe! since the stone ages, folks have been telling themselves that size doesnt matter!
you guys take it from here ..... im out!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Many would argue that the step up to 245s on the M3 (your model) made them a LOT faster.
let sleeping tigers lie.

Props to VR for not responding.

Quick Reply: Contact Patch - What matters?