DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow
Old 10-02-2016, 01:55 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Ugh, my boy Vettel was a victim of his own great start. I guess he felt compelled to take positions that weren't quite possible.

Not much racing action until Max and Daniel were going at it. That was fun. Nico and Hammy need to learn how to do that.

Well Nico, this is your best shot to take the championship. Hope you don't drive just for second place in each race. You never know. It's just one DNF to put Hammy right back in it.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:11 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting race.

Racing incident on turn #1. Yes there is no crash if Vettel does not go for it, but Verstappen and Rosberg did add some spice into the incident by both turning in a little to the apex themselves instead of holding their lines for a split second longer. It's easy to judge this all from up above on the TV set and harder to judge when you are in the cars where visibility in the mirrors is limited. Racing incident.

Very close but fair racing by Ricciardo and Verstappen just before Hamilton's headaches surfaced. Clearly the Aussie wants to maintain his senior status at the team and that was some *****'y stuff to keep the pedal to the metal and maintain his track position all the way to turn #7 as it look like he was poised to lose track position at turn #5.

Bad luck for Hamilton's engine blow up, but come on Lewis. Don't be a whinny *** poor sport. Do you honestly believe Mercedes wants their engines to blow up while millions and millions of motorsports fans are watching on TV all because they don't want you to win on a day when they could have clinched their 3rd consecutive Constructors Championship?

I was surprised Red Bull pitted Verstappen after the 2nd virtual safety car because it was thought that he was going to the end. But the Sky Sports commentators suggested Ricciardo would have caught Max with new soft tires before the race ended. So it's hard to say. It could have been a case where Red Bull was making up for Monaco and Spain. Or it could be as Sky Sports alluded to, perhaps the Aussie would have caught and passed Verstappen with fresh soft tires to Max's older hard tires had Max not pitted.

Oh and yes that was Rosberg's fault for hitting the Ice Man. He even admitted to it being his fault in the post race interview with the Sky Sports crew. Some will claim that a 10 second penalty was not enough. Some will claim that it should have been a drive through penalty. If Rosberg goes on to win the WDC by less than 3 points, then yes we can look back to this penalty. But for now he did claim it was his fault and he was penalized for it.

Finally, best podium celebration of the year. Yes we knew Ricciado was going to drink from his shoe. But to get Horner, Verstappen and Rosberg to also drink was a surprise. Of course I could not help but notice Webber was late coming to the podium. I wonder why? LOL
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2

Finally, best podium celebration of the year. Yes we knew Ricciado was going to drink from his shoe. But to get Horner, Verstappen and Rosberg to also drink was a surprise. Of course I could not help but notice Webber was late coming to the podium. I wonder why? LOL
Webber threw Ricciardo's shoe into the crowd as he walked up to the podium! Ricci should have taken off his other shoe.

Crazy race.

I wonder if Nico can bring it all the way to the end. Luck is the residue of design.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 AM
PPo
Drifting

From what I saw, I can not agree with the 3 grid place penalty for Vettel... Too harsh to start, but I don't understand how Vettel is at fault?? If anyone is at fault it's Verstappen...

How can Vettel get a penalty this race but Verstappen didn't get one last race??
Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
From what I saw, I can not agree with the 3 grid place penalty for Vettel... Too harsh to start, but I don't understand how Vettel is at fault?? If anyone is at fault it's Verstappen...

How can Vettel get a penalty this race but Verstappen didn't get one last race??
I agree, no grid penalty for Vettle. Max's move a few races ago was vastly more egregious. He was 4 off at the apex, but F1 is trying to market to a younger crown of viewers and a 19 year old is good press. He has been a royal POS driver/blocker, but nothing is ever done about his actions.

LH is now complaining that his team sabotaged his engine to help Nico win the WDC. How ridiculous can the whiner be?

Anyway, great drive by Nico to come back to 3rd.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

You have to wonder if the old engine they swapped out of Hammie's car a few races back would've let go....
Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I agree, no grid penalty for Vettle. Max's move a few races ago was vastly more egregious. He was 4 off at the apex, but F1 is trying to market to a younger crown of viewers and a 19 year old is good press. He has been a royal POS driver/blocker, but nothing is ever done about his actions.

LH is now complaining that his team sabotaged his engine to help Nico win the WDC. How ridiculous can the whiner be?

Anyway, great drive by Nico to come back to 3rd.
The stewarts seemed to be penalizing for this race; Vettle; Pit Lane Speed, Nico, Wheel Nut. They seemed impartial at this race. Problem is they change from race to race.

Also, good come back for Alonso too, 22nd to 7th.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Lewis didn't 100% state that his team sabotaged him, just that he wonders why he is the only one having problems out of all the Mercedes engines on the grid. The Lewis fans and the media then extrapolates to sabotage and conspiracy theory.

He is a douche either way however... Bad luck happens, and he should be 100% aware of that thanks to his experience in F1.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Vettel's move look borderline great to me. If the others on the outside had have just given him a little more room we would all have been lauding a great racing move.

Max is a little **** but he's possibly the best we've ever seen at his age. Glad to see Danny keep him at bay in the best single race within the race.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Max is a little **** but he's possibly the best we've ever seen at his age. Glad to see Danny keep him at bay in the best single race within the race.
Can't help but like Danny. Cheerful, laid-back attitude out of the car; ultra competitive behind the wheel. And one of best victory lap radio transmissions in awhile.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Vettel's move look borderline great to me. If the others on the outside had have just given him a little more room we would all have been lauding a great racing move.

DannyRic is awesome despite the fact he is from Australia.

We have to remember that the inside of that corner isn't the best place to be... because of corner 2 and the rest of the track, it's better to give room on the inside and position yourself for turn 2 by forcing the guy on the outside very wide on apex of turn 2. Why Max was fighting for space at that point is beyond me... stupid move on his part, and Vettel got the penalty. Max is going to have a very tough second year with that attitude and driving.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

^^ "Why I oughta!!"

I wonder what a poll would show asking who we think would be the fastest given the same car. Say one of those A1 GP cars...Be great to see I reckon.

1: Dan Ric (natch)
2: Max
3: Ham or Vettel...can't decide.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reckon that there's a bigger variance between tracks for each driver than there is a variance between the drivers. For example at Bahrain or Barcelona or Texas I'd say Danny Ric would be first but at Canada he'd be last. And then there's the variance between how the tyres or chassis etc suit the drivers. Same car, same time, same place isn't half as definitive as it seems.

Quick Reply: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix