Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck shopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:40 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice choice, recently purchased Golf R as I wanted a manual. Good all around DD.
Phil
Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Followup:

After lots of thought and research and advice on this thread (e.g. pickups aren't great in snow), I've changed gears a bit--no pun intended.

Decided on a 2017 Audi S3. Found one inbound to a Connecticut dealership that was optioned very similarly to how I would have ordered one, and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Ironically, it's the same price or cheaper than a nicely equipped F150 XLT. Small, very zippy, practical with four doors and should be a hoot (and safe) in the winter. Came with PZeros. I have Pirelli winters ready to go on soon...
That's going to really struggle towing an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Especially uphill...
Old 11-20-2016, 10:15 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Originally Posted by hf1
Especially uphill...
I'm installing a lift kit, UHaul tow bar and receiver, upgraded axles and transmission cooler, rear self-leveling air suspension, and chipping the 2.0 liter turbo four from the stock 290hp/280lb-ft to 500hp/550lb-ft.

It'll be fine.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I'm installing a lift kit, UHaul tow bar and receiver, upgraded axles and transmission cooler, rear self-leveling air suspension, and chipping the 2.0 liter turbo four from the stock 290hp/280lb-ft to 500hp/550lb-ft.

It'll be fine.
You're good to go!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:09 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

This is probably off topic now, but I saw a review video of the new superduty on motortrend ondemand, and it looks to have some really useful towing features. Pretty much for that reason would win hands down in my book for a truck, even though my farming family would disown me for saying it.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Two years ago on our way to Mt. Tremblant some crazy idiot passed us and immediately dove bombed right in front of us as we were going through Montreal. He hit the brakes and swerved to the right not even leaving us racing room. If we didn't have the long wheelbase and big brakes on our HD 3/4 we never would have stopped. I was sure we were done for but you never realize it's not the size of the motor, the suspension or anything other than the brakes that really matters. It was scarier than anything I've done on the track.
While many vehicles will tow a trailer, I will never tow with anything smaller than a full sized truck with big *** brakes. It has to work for each of us but life's too short to worry about stopping in time in an emergency.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:27 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mbean
Two years ago on our way to Mt. Tremblant some crazy idiot passed us and immediately dove bombed right in front of us as we were going through Montreal. He hit the brakes and swerved to the right not even leaving us racing room. If we didn't have the long wheelbase and big brakes on our HD 3/4 we never would have stopped. I was sure we were done for but you never realize it's not the size of the motor, the suspension or anything other than the brakes that really matters. It was scarier than anything I've done on the track.
While many vehicles will tow a trailer, I will never tow with anything smaller than a full sized truck with big *** brakes. It has to work for each of us but life's too short to worry about stopping in time in an emergency.
Was there just a little part of you thinking 'if I hit him that'll teach him'?
I had someone pull that on me once and boy was I glad I was driving a truck.
'It's not what you can pull, it's what you can stop'
Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was more, "Code Brown, clean up on isle 1"! Your thought came a bit later...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

what are you all's thoughts on the chevy colorado diesel?

rated for 7700 lbs towing. and the 2.8 turbo diesel gets pretty decent gas mileage.

i'd rather stay with a "mid-sized" truck (i have a tacoma now)

but need something to comfortably tow an aluminum open trailer and my e36 m3.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:11 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You will be fine with a Colorado diesel towing an open aluminum. Weight is well below the limit and your tongue weight should be within spec too.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I tow E36 M3 on an open AL trailer with a Cayenne- same tow rating tows very well.
Phil
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I am so late to this discussion, but I have something worthwhile. I "had" Dodge 3500 diesel trucks for ever. Everyone loves a good diesel for the pulling power, size and solid builds from all three. However, the dirty little secret on these trucks is when they do have issues, they are exceptionally expensive to repair. Also, diesel is sometimes a real pain to find, although it is becoming more readily available.

So this past June after towing my 24ft. enclosed trailer to VIR I noticed my Dodge 3500 was having issues in switching in and out of tow mode. It also starting to have several cylinders misfire. I started investigating both issues and low and behold I was looking at about $10K in repairs. The truck was long in the tooth (2006 megacab) so I started shopping.

What I ended up with was a 2016 Dodge 6.4L tradesman series 2500 extended cab. It's a gas truck rated at 425HP with 415 torque. It's what you'd expect from a work series truck, but what really impressed me was the ride, the steering, the brakes, and the displays/audio/entertainment. This truck rocks and it was at the right price at $33273 out the door. They gave me a favorable trade on the Megacab ($20K), so this was a no brainer, at $13273 out of pocket for a new truck. I've put 13K miles on it since July 4th and I really enjoy driving this thing. Fuel mileage is around 16 mixed city/highway.

Sooo the point of this long review is to say that there is a 3/4ton alternative to the diesel option so many have likely recommended. This thing pulls my enclosed trailer as well as my diesel did, and an open trailer is a non-event pulling... Don't hesitate to look at this model/product line, especially with the 6.4L Hemi!!

Last edited by Mikelly; 11-24-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:25 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I am so late to this discussion, but I have something worthwhile. I "had" Dodge 3500 diesel trucks for ever. Everyone loves a good diesel for the pulling power, size and solid builds from all three. However, the dirty little secret on these trucks is when they do have issues, they are exceptionally expensive to repair. Also, diesel is sometimes a real pain to find, although it is becoming more readily available.

So this past June after towing my 24ft. enclosed trailer to VIR I noticed my Dodge 3500 was having issues in switching in and out of tow mode. It also starting to have several cylinders misfire. I started investigating both issues and low and behold I was looking at about $10K in repairs. The truck was long in the tooth (2006 megacab) so I started shopping.

What I ended up with was a 2016 Dodge 6.4L tradesman series 2500 extended cab. It's a gas truck rated at 425HP with 415 torque. It's what you'd expect from a work series truck, but what really impressed me was the ride, the steering, the brakes, and the displays/audio/entertainment. This truck rocks and it was at the right price at $33273 out the door. They gave me a favorable trade on the Megacab ($20K), so this was a no brainer. I've put 13K miles on it since JUly 4th and I really enjoy driving this thing. Fuel mileage is around 16 mixed city/highway and the truck came equipped with 4:11 gears front and rear, so it really gets out of its own way.

Sooo the point of this long review is to say that there is a 3/4ton alternative to the diesel option so many have likely recommended. This thing pulls my enclosed trailer as well as my diesel did, and an open trailer is a non-event pulling... Don't hesitate to look at this model/product line, especially with the 6.4L Hemi!!
Always great to have options; thanks for mentioning this one.
How often do you have to refuel while towing?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I average 11mpg when towing my enclosed Haulmark down Rt29 to VIR and back (lots of rolling hills and atleast one climb up over a mountain pass) and I get about 13-13.5 while towing on relatively flat interstates (I95 on the east coast). I get about 14.5 towing an open trailer.

Mike

Quick Reply: Truck shopping