Sponsored by:

Truck shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:47 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
If it's a pickup and you plan to tow, diesel is mandatory (well, extremely desirable). Unfortunately I also need an SUV (skiing in VT a lot) and SUV's are no longer available with diesel. So I went with Ford Expedition EL with the Ecoboost. They say that's the best SUV to tow with (at least 2017 models)

Jeff
I like my 2010 Ford Exp EL. It has the debugged 5.4L V8. I've wondered about the newer Ecoboost models. A SUV fits better with my family's needs and I like my truck a lot - just wish it had a bit more power. When towing, it is very comfortable, when not towing, it is extremely comfortable and an excellent "highway car" for long trips.

One advantage of not having a diesel, is if one has a bad weekend and doesn't consume all the race gas purchased, it can just be dumped into the truck.

-Mike
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my F250 crew cab diesel for towing and dump runs, but it is much too large for daily use unless you need a truck for work.
And it's a handful in the snow. Much prefer my Mini Cooper S with a good set of snows.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Some of us are used to putting big things in small places!
Don't make me break out 'the picture.'
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Go with the F150. Ford is the #1 selling truck for a reason.

Torque

Synthetic
Because it is cheaper for fleet sales!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Don't make me break out 'the picture.'
I'm still in therapy from seeing it.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:31 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are buying new you can hardly go wrong, just don't get the wrong color. (Ram sux though)

When I sold new Fords I had an old fogey as a customer that was getting a 3/4 ton to tow his RV, he was trading one in and wanted the same engine and rear end as before. As soon as I mentioned diesel he went into his calculations about the $5k+ extra for the diesel, their comparable mileage rating and the price difference between diesel and gas, basicly how long the benefit of the diesel would take to pay for itself, quite a while. I guess he didnt value low rev grunt.
He obliterated the diesel arguments, unless maybe you were to be towing heavy every day
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Was thinking of maybe a full-size pickup since it would provide good utility in the other seasons as well (and if I ever make the leap to towing to the track, I'd be all set). 2016 F150 XLT 4x4 V8 with tow package vs Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. There may be some good deals on leftover 2016 inventory on dealer lots.

Any opinions or suggestions?
I picked up a 2016 F150 XLT V8 when the Labor Day sales were added to the existing model year end incentives. I love it so far. It was always going to be a Ford, so I never looked at or researched the others, to be honest. It's comfortable, quiet, actually pretty efficient, and not too clumsy to daily and park if you've driven a truck or SUV before.

All that being said...I learned to drive in a diesel F350, and would up putting a lot of miles on that truck over the years. Diesels are far superior for towing - the torque is just awesome. I've already towed with my new 150 (uhaul trailer with my new future SPB on it) and, maybe due to the 3.31 gears, it's definitely not as competent as the SuperDuty. But I'd never want to daily the F350

Just my $0.02
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have the Infiniti QX56 which I believe has the same frame and engine as the Titan.

You can tow just fine with an open trailer, as I did for a bunch of years, but if have an enclosed trailer it is not a good idea.

Once I went to an enclosed trailer I went through a couple of transmissions. That's when I bought the F350 diesel. Installing a plow this winter and plan on keeping it for the next few hundred thousand miles!
I bought a QX56 new in 2006. Still have it today. 290k miles later with tows cross country with an open trailer and all over the east coast with an enclosed. Hardly ever even ran a load leveling hitch. Only thing that has gone bad is one air bag from the leveling system and two cats. Now I keep it for the inevitable family members car is broken and needs a car. Actually my sister has it now driving it daily.

My Ram 1500 though tows better though with a more responsive throttle.

My QX is RWD. I think you got a bad one. I called my dealer at 200k asking if I needed to dump it and he laughed at me and told me to call back well after 300k.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Jeep Grand Cherokee is available mit Diesel, maybe Dodge Durango too
true, but those are too small for my ATC 24' enclosed
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been driving a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Liter Hemi for 3 years, now. The truck has 80,000 miles and has been bulletproof. Regular maintenance, Mobil 1, rides great, tows okay (I tow a 23' aluminum enclosed with my 911 in it- yeah more toque would be better but I only tow 5-6 times per year).
I would prefer to get the air suspension to avoid the sagging (slight) but, overall, I am very happy with the truck- even though there are few Ram lover in here.

I would note, these trucks are not great for winter use. No weight in the back and I do not keep it in 4 wheel drive, all the time. I only use it (4wd) when needed. The back end does slide around a bit, then the ESP kicks in. I am used to it.......not the same as an SUV, tho.
GL
Old 09-29-2016, 10:18 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I like my 2010 Ford Exp EL. It has the debugged 5.4L V8. I've wondered about the newer Ecoboost models. A SUV fits better with my family's needs and I like my truck a lot - just wish it had a bit more power. When towing, it is very comfortable, when not towing, it is extremely comfortable and an excellent "highway car" for long trips.

One advantage of not having a diesel, is if one has a bad weekend and doesn't consume all the race gas purchased, it can just be dumped into the truck.

-Mike
I traded a 10 for a 15 Expedition last spring. The EcoBoost has MUCH more power, and Ford made significant improvements in ride quality. I tow an enclosed Trailex with 968 @ ~ 5.5k and it get 8-9mpg while trying to stay at 75mph, so it's good for 200-250 miles per tank. Empty it's ~18-20 mpg. The Goodyear Tires suck, that mine came with and I installed Sumo Springs to reduce rear end sag.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:44 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
I traded a 10 for a 15 Expedition last spring. The EcoBoost has MUCH more power, and Ford made significant improvements in ride quality. I tow an enclosed Trailex with 968 @ ~ 5.5k and it get 8-9mpg while trying to stay at 75mph, so it's good for 200-250 miles per tank. Empty it's ~18-20 mpg. The Goodyear Tires suck, that mine came with and I installed Sumo Springs to reduce rear end sag.
Impressive, as I consider the ride quality of the 2010 to be extremely good. All I've had on it for tires is Michelins. Ironically, I run the same tire in a smaller size on the trailer. The EcoBoosts don't seem to get any better mileage, but they do have moar power.

Towing my 4500lb aluminum open trailer and race car it will get nearly 13 MPG if I keep it to 70 MPH. At 80 MPH, it drops to about 10. I suspect the aero drag of the enclosed vs open is significant. Without the trailer, it is good for 19MPG with the curse set at 75 MPH.

-Mike
Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
If you are buying new you can hardly go wrong, just don't get the wrong color. (Ram sux though)

When I sold new Fords I had an old fogey as a customer that was getting a 3/4 ton to tow his RV, he was trading one in and wanted the same engine and rear end as before. As soon as I mentioned diesel he went into his calculations about the $5k+ extra for the diesel, their comparable mileage rating and the price difference between diesel and gas, basicly how long the benefit of the diesel would take to pay for itself, quite a while. I guess he didnt value low rev grunt.
He obliterated the diesel arguments, unless maybe you were to be towing heavy every day

I have owned Ford, Chevy and Dodge diesels over the years. I do not consider myself an "old fogey" but I, too, have calculated the miles necessary to pay for the diesel option. It is a lot of miles. One important aspect of ownership you did not mention is resale.

Currently I own a Ram and in my opinion it definitely does not "sux". Matter of fact, the big three are all good but my least favorite is the Chevy.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I went with Ford Expedition EL with the Ecoboost. They say that's the best SUV to tow with (at least 2017 models)

Jeff
Well, I think this is the best SUV to tow with (and enjoy when not towing) in existence but i'm a little biased..

AMG GLS63... 2nd choice would be a Jeep SRT.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2016, 12:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Well, I think this is the best SUV to tow with (and enjoy when not towing) in existence but i'm a little biased..

AMG GLS63... 2nd choice would be a Jeep SRT.
What is the max tow weight it is rated for? Also I was under the impression you wanted a longer vehicle for the heavier enclosed trailers.

Quick Reply: Truck shopping